Old 06-18-2022, 09:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Coolant blew up through rear carb

Strangest thing happened today. 64 Lemans conv with 65 tri power. While idling suddenly a geyser of coolant shoots up through the the rear carb and air cleaner. Shut motor down immediately, I pulled the plugs and no water poured out the cylinders, plugs not wet. Turned the motor over and no water shot out the cylinders or the carb. By the way oil looked good, no foam,bubbles on the dip stick. Didn't have time today to run compression test or drain the oil. Any ideas on what happened.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does not seem possible...Unless cooling system hooked up to carb?
Are you sure it as not stale & discolored fuel?

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 06-19-2022, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe something from the rear heater hose and it appeared to come from the carb??

Old 06-19-2022, 10:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know its strange, but the coolant came up thru the carb and out the tri power air cleaner. Sprayed all over the engine compartment that makes me think head gasket, maybe intake gasket? This car has been run many times before without problems. It was the 1st start for this year. How does coolant get into the intake, didn't affect other carbs. Original cast iron intake.

Old 06-19-2022, 11:36 AM
Boost Engineer

Does the engine have a vacuum actuated secondary activation system for the carbs (OEM)
or a mechanical secondary activation system to open the carbs??

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-19-2022, 01:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mechanical secondaries. I'll try to diagnose this week.

Old 06-19-2022, 02:36 PM
Boost Engineer

If it was Vacuum Controlled Secondaries, I have seen where a vacuum temp switch (front of intake cross-over) could allow water to the carb lines.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well as 694.1 said doesn't seem possible. Finally got a chance to look things over closely today. The damn NAPA water outlet cap in the head split and sprayed water all over. From my initial view from the driver side it appeared water coming thru the carb. It was split like a tea pot spout cover and came down and you wouldn't know it was split. Figured let me check this thing. Five minute repair sprayed coolant all over the shed the cars stored in, not alot of light in there. Sure looked like coming out the air cleaner. I guess a senior moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to straycat For This Useful Post: