Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-17-2022, 03:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 2003 Malibu quit running. Easy Fix? Worth the money?

So, my Mom has a 2003 Malibu that she really doesn't drive anymore. We had been keeping it around just as a "spare" since it really isn't worth much(body damage) but it had been dependable until recently.

I started it yesterday to run a quick errand. I was sitting in the car, making sure I had everything I needed with me, and it just died. I tried to start it again and got nothing. I knew the fuel gauge wasn't entirely accurate anymore, so I thought it probably just ran out of gas. I poured some fresh gas in and tried it again. Still nothing. Pulled a couple plugs to make sure it was getting gas and they were pretty dry. I noticed it stunk like gas over by the air cleaner. So I opened that up and there was gas on the filter/in the filter box. Any ideas? Maybe an easy fix? Or put it out to pasture?

FYI, with the condition the body is in, it is probably only worth $1,000 to $1,500 when it was running. Also, I am about 90 miles from my Mom's place. So, it may take a while for me to check anything/answer questions.

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:02 PM
Senior Chief

We need some more details on what engine. On the V6, it could be fuel pressure regulator.

Old 07-17-2022, 07:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
We need some more details on what engine. On the V6, it could be fuel pressure regulator.
It's the v6

Old 07-22-2022, 08:00 AM
Senior Chief

Pull the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator and see if there is fuel in it. If there is, the regulator needs to be replaced. It can put fuel directly into the intake manifold and basically flooding the engine. If not, check for spark on each cylinder. Ignition modules can fail. It is a 3100 V6. Google the problem, that is a very common engine on lots of GM vehicles.

The Following User Says Thank You to jerry455 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2022, 11:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
Pull the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator and see if there is fuel in it. If there is, the regulator needs to be replaced. It can put fuel directly into the intake manifold and basically flooding the engine. If not, check for spark on each cylinder. Ignition modules can fail. It is a 3100 V6. Google the problem, that is a very common engine on lots of GM vehicles.
It seemed really weird that gas was coming from the top of the intake into the air cleaner, but the couple plugs I pulled were dry. I'll have to check the vacuum line next time I am around where the car is.
Thanks

Old 08-28-2022, 01:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Update.
I finally got a chance to fiddle with the car again and there was gas in that vacuum line. So, hopefully the regulator is the only issue.
Thanks for the help

Old 08-28-2022, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As a quick double check, have a helper crank the engine or for safety just cycle the key while you watch the nipple on the pressure regulator with the hose pulled. Gas will spurt out or at least dribble out if the diaphragm is punctured. Then you know for sure. Most GM ones can be replaced without replacing the fuel rail. Held in with an O-ring and snap ring

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: