Old 08-31-2022, 11:03 AM

Default 1964 GTO Power Steering Conversion

I need to get clear from anyone who has already done this on their 64. My question is what are the must have 1964 only parts needed to make this happen? My car is an original no power steering no A/C car. Build date is first week March so second design would have been installed had the PS option been ordered. However double pulleys setup will work. Still in the planning stage but my desire is to procure the necessary OEM parts and avoid the “easy to install my a** aftermarket kits that don’t fit.
Regards,
Bob

Old 09-01-2022, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't done a conversion but my '64 was originally equipped with PS, Nov '63 built with the twin belt set-up. It was mostly missing when I bought it but I was able to acquire the necessary parts at a swap meet 30 years ago and it has been restored as factory correct.

With the 2nd design, your original standard 37A alternator with single groove pulley is same with and without PS on a non-AC build.

The PS pump, pulley, and bracketry are same for the A body and big car. I'd say the bracketry was the most '64 specific that you'll need.

I believe the alternator straps might be different for the Alt vs. man steer strap.

You'll need the PS steering gear of course. I'm not sure how '64 specific the gear is, mine was still in the car so I just restored it, didn't need to find one.

Same for the pitman arm, I vaguely recall that it is PS specific.

The '64 PS gear was considered pretty slow at 20:1 and many upgrade to a faster ratio. But if you want to be correct, you'll need that.

PS was available as a Dealer Accessory Kit which suggests it is a fairly straight-forward swap.

There is a good illustration of the pump and bracketry in the GTO Restoration Guide (taken from the Master Parts Catalog). IIRC, you can also find the p/n of the cast iron bracket there. Might search eBay for parts.

I'm sure various parts sellers can help. Perhaps some stuff is reproduced (the pump body and cap maybe?). I may have a couple of the pieces as extras. PM me and I can see what I can dig up.

In your shoes, I'd first start looking for the steering gear and pitman arm.

Old 09-02-2022, 07:56 AM

John,
Thanks for your response and I appreciate you taking the time to provide very good detail. I do have the the restoration guide and the drawings you referenced and I understand what parts are needed and how to do the work. For this project I will first focus on buying the right PS pump front and rear brackets and the correct 2 groove fan pulley. Just about everything else is available through our host. I have direct experience with 1965 and have owned both power steering and no power steering cars. My no power steering 65 was terrible to drive however my 64 is really not bad at all and handling is very good. Power steering for me would be nice to have however the driver for adding PS is for my wife who can can really drive a 4 speed but finds the steering very difficult. I will follow up and PM you about ant parts you might have, also it’s sounds like you compile data on 1964 GTO’s and if your interested I would be happy to provide you information on my car.
Regards
Bob