Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-14-2022, 11:26 AM
Suspended

Default Ridetech Coolride rear suspension

Anyone out there running an air ride system on the rear suspension as a replacement for coil springs?

If so:
What kind of ride height adjustment can you get?
How do they feel compared to coils as far as ride....harsh, soft etc..

Thanks

Old 09-14-2022, 12:41 PM

I've decided not to go with the air ride on my 69 Lemans build.
But I have a 2013 Ram Truck R/T, that I put RideTech on all four corners. I really like it on the truck. I can run it just high enough to where it never hits the bump stops. And yet it's still a truck and I can increase the air pressure and I've put 1300 pounds of flagstone rock in the bed for a short haul.
On the other hand, it's complicated with several points of failure. Ridetech has been very good on support. But I've failed a control unit (Ridetech stood behind it as warranty), had to have both front 'ShockWaves' rebuilt (Ridetech repaired both free), and one air compressor (long term internal corrosion, I raised the air intake to reduce water exposure). I've put about 70,000 miles on the truck since the install. But I dread the day that I'm 500 miles from home and something fails.
On a car where the load doesn't vary like a truck, I'd consider coil-overs first. Simple is good.
On my truck the ride is firm to my liking and it corners well. However, that cannot be used as a reference for your car.