Old 09-26-2022, 06:07 PM

Default Frame mount locations.

Has anyone installed a 1966/1969 OHC-6 in a 1965 Tempest? Will the 66/69 frame mounts have to find new holes in the frame or are there some already there? If no holes are present what will the dimensions be? Have Fun, DANI1.

Old 09-26-2022, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i think i have a set if your interested came out of a 66 tempest

The Following User Says Thank You to imposter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 11:09 PM

I already have a set of the 66/69 frame mounts. What I need to know is can they be made to fit in a 65 tempest, and if not what dimensions would be used to locate holes in the frame. Have Fun DANI10

Old 09-27-2022, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Theoretically, the OHC 6 has a of of chevy dimensions incorporated into it. The 215 OHV I-6 that came in the 64-65 Pontiac A body was just a chevy engine, with a bastard sized bore to come out between a 194 cubic inch nova I-6 engine, and the 230 I-6 chevy engine. The 215 block had a large "PONTIAC" cast into it so that it would get the proper size pistons in it when the engines were being assembled. This would be an early "corporate" engine that only Pontiac used with the oddball bore size all the other internal parts were interchangeable.

Just an educated guess on my part, the OHC 6, and the I-6 chevy use the same mounts, and even if I'm wrong, the frames in those years in the A bodies were somewhat interchangeable, and made by one vendor. The holes in the crossmember should already be there. If they're not already there, I would be surprised, but even if you had to drill them, the crossmember under the engine is still going to be the same dimensions, the frames were standardized, and the mounts were where the differences were.

Just to be 100% clear, I'm only theorizing this from knowing what GM did back in the day that made parts interchangeable between divisions to cut down on specialized parts that would only fit one divisions cars. I highly doubt you'll have any problems installing a 66 OHC 6 into a 65 A body frame.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-27-2022, 09:18 AM

I think you may be right as you stated that the frames are the same. I'll have to check out the holes in the frame to see if they match up with 66/69 frame mounts. Thanks for the info. Have Fun, DANI10.