Old 09-27-2022, 06:34 PM

Default antenna

My 67 LeMans has the fixed mast antenna on right front fender. I'd like to replace it with one that has a mast that unscrews at the base so I can use my car cover. I am not concerned about originality, but something that looks period would be nice. Has anyone done this or have any ideas? A power antenna would be nice but I don't think will fit in the front fender.

Old 09-27-2022, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I purchased a removable fixed-mast antenna for my '66 from RetroSound. Pretty sure it's just a generic aftermarket antenna that fits a wide variety of cars & trucks, but it looks like a regular antenna and can be unscrewed for when a car cover is used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	599422  

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 09-27-2022, 07:27 PM

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2022, 10:29 AM

My car cover came with a grommet for the antenna. Just poke a hole through the cover and attach the two piece grommet; even if yours did not, you could use duct tape around the hole to keep the fabric from coming apart. That's a low cost and easy solution. The power antennas were located on the rear fender. Like you said, probably would not fit on the front fender so they had to put it in the rear.

Old 10-04-2022, 08:42 AM

Hi Dr. John. FWIW, I recently changed my fixed mast antenna out with a (more) correct chrome plated telescopic mast. The base was good and I just had to unscrew the fixed mast and replace with tele unit. I got some good advice here on which antenna to buy. Oddly, a '67 uses a different antenna (base and mast) than a '66.

In the end, I can remove my tele mast with a 9/16" open end wrench if/as needed, leaving the base mount in place on the RH fender

Hope this helps!

Old 10-04-2022, 09:30 AM

Thanks