Old 10-01-2022, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Reverse lights and fuel filter bracket

I got my carb back from one of Cliff Ruggle’s disciples. Car started up and idled great, unfortunately we have the remnants of hurricane Fiona blowing through north NJ today, so no road testing until it clears. A couple of things I noticed.
1. My reverse lights are always on. I believe when Steve did the restoration he put in a repo back-up light switch on the trans (4-speed). I can get the car in the lift, but am not sure what I should look for.

2. I cannot for the life of me get the HO fuel filter bracket to work. I think part of the problem might be that the fuel inlet ‘nut’ on my rebuilt carb is thicker than stock. Is it ok to run it without the bracket? I have the three line setup and it feels pretty secure without the bracket. Also, I noticed that there is a little bronze filter in the fuel inlet housing. Am I supposed to run both the in-line filter as well as that little bronze one?

Thanks

Here are the taillights on. Car is not running, but ignition is ‘on’. Car is in neutral.

Here’s the ‘thicker’ fuel inlet nut on the carb. I think the stock one was much thinner and allowed the fuel line to move back another inch or so. I am running the repo 3-piece fuel lines that are correct for this 400 HO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-01-2022, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I answered my own question regarding the taillights. It looks like there is a little rod that sits in the switch (like the choke rod on my Q-jet) and it was just dangling loose. Is there a special clip that is supposed to hold that in place?

Old 10-01-2022, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found a little clip for now. Not sure what you call this, but I was using it on my choke rod and replaced it with the correct part today when I swapped carbs.

I don’t know if it’s correct or how long it will hold, but it seems to work for now. I should probably buy more of these clips because it seems bit flimsy.

Old 10-01-2022, 04:15 PM

With the right inlet, everything fits correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221001_200221686.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	599688   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221001_200306292.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	599689   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221001_200323375.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	599690  

Old 10-01-2022, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Ben! That’s a great shot! I kept thinking the bracket should hold the filter around the middle, but o see in your pictures that it hold it closer to the end. I think I could get that to work. Is the tan that bolts to the thermostat housing notched 45 degrees on yours? My repo piece is a 90 degree square and that definitely hits the thermostat housing. It’s not inconceivable that my thermostat housing is not original. Most of the car has its original parts, but I’m not sure about the housing (I’m not even sure if the ‘67 housing was any different from any other year).

Old 10-01-2022, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just relooked at your photo and you have the 90 degree tab. Thanks again, at least now I know I can get it to work with a little finegaling.

Old 10-02-2022, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it were me, I'd probably try using an E-clip on that rod.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 10-02-2022, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
If it were me, I'd probably try using an E-clip on that rod.

What is an e-clip? Is that like the clip that holds the shifter rod to Z-bar? This is on my ‘70 TA. If that’s an eclipse, do they come in smaller sizes? No way this one would fit.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:04 PM

pics of an e-clip (they tend to fly far on install or removal). and the nut style that is/was on my 67 HO GTO
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	e-clip.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	600410   Click image for larger version

Name:	carb 67.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	600411  

Old 10-22-2022, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks GTO.boy
I’m guessing Ray used a different fuel inlet nut because he had to repair the inlet threads (that were improperly repaired by the fellow I bought the carb from). I’ll look on Amazon for the E-clips.

Old 10-22-2022, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That thicker style fuel inlet nut is the '68 and up type. The correct shallow inlet nut should solve that issue.

My original backup lamp switch rod has holes for cotter pins, the repro is made differently or maybe there were two styles used in '67.

I would use this round style clip shown in this assortment...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...saAg4kEALw_wcB
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191223_165202.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	600928   Click image for larger version

Name:	44.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	600929   Click image for larger version

Name:	45.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	600930  

Old 10-22-2022, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Frank, I just saw this topic. I got the switch, rod, clip and mounting bracket from Ames. Here is a picture of the rod they sell, and you can see the supplied clip isn't very substantial. Seeing how yours came off, I will be using E-clips instead. Let me know if you want me to send you some.
And that filter bracket gave me fits getting things to line up, I don't know how you can make it work with the thicker inlet!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	back up.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	600931  

Last edited by 400 4spd.; 10-22-2022 at 01:26 PM.