Old 10-03-2022, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default who makes a good qtr panel skin

looking to buy a qtr panel skin for my 72 formula . i have access to getting one from dynacorn . anybody used one or who else makse them

Old 10-03-2022, 11:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Repop quarter

Im.not sure I'm learning too but the the repops are shorter and if you don't weld a spacer rod you will get a big gap at the trunk line. I got 2 Facebook group friends and both had same problem. One watched u tube videos and they did the rop spacing to make it work. Not sure if info is helpful. See the big gap and it's not really noticed till trunk lid gets installed. See this on 2 different cars. I a 70 formula 400 4 speed and other a 73 ta. Hope this helps not sure on brand but I can ask
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221003-201600_Messenger.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	599926  

Old 10-04-2022, 04:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
Im.not sure I'm learning too but the the repops are shorter and if you don't weld a spacer rod you will get a big gap at the trunk line. I got 2 Facebook group friends and both had same problem. One watched u tube videos and they did the rop spacing to make it work. Not sure if info is helpful. See the big gap and it's not really noticed till trunk lid gets installed. See this on 2 different cars. I a 70 formula 400 4 speed and other a 73 ta. Hope this helps not sure on brand but I can ask
who makes that skin

Old 10-04-2022, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've almost always bought from AMD. Better quality and fitment and heavier gauge steel than what I've sometimes seen from others.

Problem is for the last couple years I've had problems getting things as is typical with the supply chain these days. Last set of quarters I ordered I had to wait 5 months to show up. They currently don't show anything right now for 2nd gen birds either.

My biggest gripe with some of these repop quarters is they don't have the correct body crease behind the rear tires. You can always look at a 2nd gen bird and tell if it's had repop quarters installed as most don't pay attention to that detail.

I haven't had my hands on an AMD piece recently to compare but that's one thing I look for.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-04-2022, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I've almost always bought from AMD. Better quality and fitment and heavier gauge steel than what I've sometimes seen from others.

Problem is for the last couple years I've had problems getting things as is typical with the supply chain these days. Last set of quarters I ordered I had to wait 5 months to show up. They currently don't show anything right now for 2nd gen birds either.

My biggest gripe with some of these repop quarters is they don't have the correct body crease behind the rear tires. You can always look at a 2nd gen bird and tell if it's had repop quarters installed as most don't pay attention to that detail.

I haven't had my hands on an AMD piece recently to compare but that's one thing I look for.

yes i checked there web site ,they do not have any . the only one i can get is the one from dynacorn not my first choice but it is in stock . does the one from goodmark come from the same supplier

Old 10-04-2022, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
yes i checked there web site ,they do not have any . the only one i can get is the one from dynacorn not my first choice but it is in stock . does the one from goodmark come from the same supplier
I'm not 100% sure who supplies AMD's sheet metal, I've just found I like their stuff over some of the others. I've had some Goodmark stuff that was okay and then sometimes wasn't all that great, it was hit and miss.

I hate settling for less and don't want to resort to lesser quality so I primarily have stuck with AMD, which is why I get stuck waiting months for stuff. Some projects just get put on hold indefinitely and some I've turned away.

Don't know if the situation is going to get better or not. Might have to wait a couple more years to see if things change unfortunately. If not we may have to continue to use lesser quality parts as we move forward, which doesn't inspire me to start another project.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-04-2022, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I'm not 100% sure who supplies AMD's sheet metal, I've just found I like their stuff over some of the others. I've had some Goodmark stuff that was okay and then sometimes wasn't all that great, it was hit and miss.

I hate settling for less and don't want to resort to lesser quality so I primarily have stuck with AMD, which is why I get stuck waiting months for stuff. Some projects just get put on hold indefinitely and some I've turned away.

Don't know if the situation is going to get better or not. Might have to wait a couple more years to see if things change unfortunately.
yes i feel the same way

Old 10-04-2022, 09:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The quarter panel picture I showed you from my friend Ray from Facebook was purchased from Classic Industries

Old 10-04-2022, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
The quarter panel picture I showed you from my friend Ray from Facebook was purchased from Classic Industries
Which is OER, same as AMD sells. AMD doesn't make them and unless mopar, resells other brands like all parts houses do.
That said, the FULL quarters I have used, and they fit fine once body is all clean for it.
These are made in Taiwan, and don't seem to be in the pipeline right now.

Old 10-04-2022, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can attest to what Bruce mentions, the full 70-73 reproduction 1/4 panel fits well. PY member & national vender Ron Johnson had a hand in getting those done near 20 years ago. Those & the metal rear tail panels & trunk drops. Goodmark was who offered them with a part number. Nice pieces, have picked up & used several of those pieces. Again, Thank You Ron!!!

The "hip" style partial '70-73 1/4's have been out since the late '80's. They are cheap, thin, fit poorly, AND are not correctly shaped over the bottom 18". They do NOT have the correct fluting to them (slight curvature inward lengthwise). Easy to spot cars with the junk hip quarters. I'm sure somewhere someone has performed a miracle panel beating the lower 1/4 portion of a few of them to look closer to original, but not on the '70 Bird roller/ partscar I picked up mid 90's. The lower 1/4 panels looked more like that of those of a Camaro. Without the 12 bolt rear & correct doors, that Bird left here for a fiberglass front clip & budget race car build. At least it was good for something!

Old 10-04-2022, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Can attest to what Bruce mentions, the full 70-73 reproduction 1/4 panel fits well. PY member & national vender Ron Johnson had a hand in getting those done near 20 years ago. Those & the metal rear tail panels & trunk drops. Goodmark was who offered them with a part number. Nice pieces, have picked up & used several of those pieces. Again, Thank You Ron!!!

The "hip" style partial '70-73 1/4's have been out since the late '80's. They are cheap, thin, fit poorly, AND are not correctly shaped over the bottom 18". They do NOT have the correct fluting to them (slight curvature inward lengthwise). Easy to spot cars with the junk hip quarters. I'm sure somewhere someone has performed a miracle panel beating the lower 1/4 portion of a few of them to look closer to original, but not on the '70 Bird roller/ partscar I picked up mid 90's. The lower 1/4 panels looked more like that of those of a Camaro. Without the 12 bolt rear & correct doors, that Bird left here for a fiberglass front clip & budget race car build. At least it was good for something!
thanks for this info .that is exactly what i notice with the dynacorn skin

Old 10-05-2022, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use AMD full quarters, inner wheel housings, trunk drop offs, and tail panel. They all fit really good.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 11:26 AM

Default Quarter panels

I'm in the process now installing Goodmark quarters, drop offs and tail panel. They seem to fit pretty good ...no large gaps. Todd

Old 10-05-2022, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mullin View Post
I'm in the process now installing Goodmark quarters, drop offs and tail panel. They seem to fit pretty good ...no large gaps. Todd
Same here, & nothing AMD about them.

On the outer metal tail panels alone have been buying them since they first came out, always Goodmark pieces. Same with the quarters (have only ordered a few)

Old 10-05-2022, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Same here, & nothing AMD about them.

On the outer metal tail panels alone have been buying them since they first came out, always Goodmark pieces. Same with the quarters (have only ordered a few)
talked with the sales rep from goodmark , he said that goodmark is the only company that is reproducing the full qtrs and the tail light panel for these years and everyone buys off them. He said that skins skins there are many guys making them

Old 10-06-2022, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used goodmark full quarters and cut them to "skins" as needed. did this to the tail panels also.

Iv'e ordered thru amd for my hood and front fenders. excellent and I think these were dynacorn but not sure. but I know they were not goodmark.

the crease lines on repops are more crisp, so depends if your after show or drive.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
I used goodmark full quarters and cut them to "skins" as needed. did this to the tail panels also.

Iv'e ordered thru amd for my hood and front fenders. excellent and I think these were dynacorn but not sure. but I know they were not goodmark.

the crease lines on repops are more crisp, so depends if your after show or drive.
this is exactly what i want to do . i don't want to go thru all the trouble to take everything apart ( i.e take the rear glass out etc ) do you have any photos you can share

Old 10-06-2022, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
this is exactly what i want to do . i don't want to go thru all the trouble to take everything apart ( i.e take the rear glass out etc ) do you have any photos you can share
bump up to my "floor/torque box/frame rail" thread in the body shop section.

detailed pics throughout.

lol, I like posting pics -a pics worth a thousand words-

Old 10-06-2022, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
bump up to my "floor/torque box/frame rail" thread in the body shop section.

detailed pics throughout.

lol, I like posting pics -a pics worth a thousand words-
nice work you are a master at this , will try to do it as good as you thanks for the feed back

Old 10-06-2022, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks

it comes from building large model airplanes as a youngster, and doing a ton actual aircraft cowling and panel fitment cut/grind to fit to very close tolerances over 42 years at the plant.

its easy to get overwhelmed seeing magazines thru the years that started showing only high end restorations by pros that makes one think you have to full panel replace everything. the era i came up in, i watched many a person cut out only whats needed and do a good job splicing and welding.

good luck would like to see you post a thread with pics of your progress