Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Senior Chief

Default how do I stop a freeze plug leak?

Hey guys, I have a freeze plug on the r/f side of the block on my 67 400 motor that continues to seep antifreeze. I rebuilt the motor and they installed brass plugs 5 yrs ago and it leaked. All the other ones are fine. Last year I replaced the plug with another brass plug paying particular attention to the bore checking for any gouges or burrs that could cause it to leak. I used permatex #2 aviation sealant on both surfaces and pressed the plug into place and let it set for 24 hours before pouring in coolant and it still started weeping fluid. I have put probably 3-400 miles on the car so it has cycled many times hot and cold and still won't seal. My question is this. I was told that I should have used permatex #1 as my sealant instead of #2. Should I replace it with a new plug and #1 sealant, or use some form of stop leak pellets. I was told they would work, but I am old school and was told that stop leak plugs up things you don't want plugged up. I have no problem doing this, I just want to do it right, not whats easiest. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Senior Chief

I would try a small can of Bars Stop Leak. If your heater core and rad are clean one can won't hurt anything. In fact GM used to use a similar product in the cooling system back in the day.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ditto stopleak

Old 04-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could forego the stopleak and use one of those rubber and steel freeze plugs that snugs up as you tighten the center bolt. Not real pretty, but it will NOT leak.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You an buy the sealant pellets from GM. They work well.

I had a similar issue W/ my 65 Bonneville. I put Marine-Tex around the bore installed the plug. I let it sit overnight before I refilled it and have had no problems for the last 12 years.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:47 PM

Is it leaking because of a poor fit, or because it's rusting through? If it's rusting, I would think about replacing all of them. Not a fun job, I know.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:49 PM

Sorry, I read your post better, Its been a long day.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Suspended

just put a block heater in there.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:15 PM

Block heater's a viable option.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The sealant pellets are the way to go UNLESS you really want to change a plug. What
sealant did you used on the plugs? Loctite makes a sealer especially for Welch plugs.
It's expensive,but works extremely well. Epoxy is good if the plug bores are out of round.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Suspended

some block sealant requires the engine to be flushed thoroughly. It does not work if there are other chemicals or cooant/antifreez remaining in the block. But done properly it is an option