Old 10-22-2018, 08:45 PM
Senior Chief

Default 64 Catalina Assembly manual

Is there somewhere that I can go to look at how things are put together. I have the 1964 Pontiac Body Shop Manual but it’s not showing me areas that I need.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:48 AM
Senior Chief

There are multiple assembly manuals for our cars. There is the body manual that you mentioned that talks about body panel removal, interior pieces, etc. There is a "Chassis Shop Manual," which is for the suspension, brakes, drivetrain, etc. I have both of those and I think what you're looking for is the Chassis manual. There is also a separate manual for the HVAC system.

Our host sells the manuals and you can also find originals and reproductions on Ebay and other sources online.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as I know there's no assembly manual available, just the chassis, body and HVAC manuals. There may have also been a transmission manual - I know there was one in 1961 but am not sure about 1964.

You can often find what you need in either the chassis or body manual, but it takes some searching - there may be a photo in an unrelated section that just happens to show a particular assembly.

If you can find a parts catalog, they're pretty handy as well. Besides the part numbers they also had a lot of useful exploded diagrams.

One other thing to look for are copies of the Craftsman News, which was a flyer sent out monthly to the dealers that covered various mid-year updates and changes.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ64GP View Post
There are multiple assembly manuals for our cars. There is the body manual that you mentioned that talks about body panel removal, interior pieces, etc. There is a "Chassis Shop Manual," which is for the suspension, brakes, drivetrain, etc. I have both of those and I think what you're looking for is the Chassis manual. There is also a separate manual for the HVAC system.

Our host sells the manuals and you can also find originals and reproductions on Ebay and other sources online.
The original poster is asking about the "PAD" sheets (Product Assembly Document; aka "PDM" or Product Description Manual) which were used in the assembly plant.

I've never seen one offered for sale for '64 big cars.

K

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img167.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	495954   Click image for larger version

Name:	img168.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	495955  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 10-25-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:52 PM
Senior Chief

I know the body shop manual doesn’t show what I needed.. the pdm’s would help a lot showing what bolt or attachment you need. I think I’m figuring out the re-assembly of my car. It’s taking longer but I’m getting there.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ASSEMBLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs64Cat View Post
I know the body shop manual doesn’t show what I needed.. the pdm’s would help a lot showing what bolt or attachment you need. I think I’m figuring out the re-assembly of my car. It’s taking longer but I’m getting there.
LOOKING FOR ONE? https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...TENNA&_sacat=0

Old 11-25-2018, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It would be nice if there were an "Assembly Manual" for these cars. But I have never seen one and I think the idea of having one may have died several years earlier. I know that within the GM family they used to exist. I have had one for my son's 53 Chev pickup which proved interesting when we were doing a rebuild. Had a lot of good detail such as which body seams were to receive some type of sealer. It would be useful to know what type of bolt or lock washer was used in a certain place on a 60's Pontiac but alas it is not to be.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:51 AM
Senior Chief

I figured out how to put everything back together slowly. So not looking anymore. A assembly manual would be great.