Old 06-10-2013, 11:49 PM

Default Slim Jim TV question

I have a '64 GP with a Slim Jim transmission that seems to work pretty good. (As good as they can) After installing a Holley carb, I realized the geometry of the throttle arm is different than on the AFB throttle arm. Since I already sold the old Carter AFB, I cannot compare the original travel of the TV rod with the current one .

Does someone have a Full Size with a Carter AFB and a Slim Jim that can measure the distance the TV rod travels from idle to wide open throttle? Does the TV travel to its mechanical limit at wide open throttle ? A picture would also be great

Thank you....

Old 06-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default tv arm

I've got a tv rod that I can measure, not tonight though. I did the th400 conversion, scrapped the slimmy and the arm is still here.

Greg

Old 06-11-2013, 06:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same issue with an eddy carb. Trans guy told me to line up the holes at the fulcrums of the gas pedal and the tv rod by the firewall. It sounds like the only thing you need to change is the rod length between the carb and firewall. I can take the pic laterfrom my 64 gp if you like. Does your slimmy shift quite early in rpm range? Say 3300 rpm at wot?

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:01 PM

Thank you for the help.

I will check the wide open shift.

My concern is not the length of the TV rod rather the arm on the carb.
If the new carb has a shorter travel then there will be less TV travel through the total range of throttle opening. I could fabricate an extension on the carb. "kickdown" arm to increase overall travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	326142  

Old 06-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll attach some shop manual pages from 1961 just in case it helps. I think the gas pedal to carb part of the linkage changed between 61 and 64 but I don't think it matters. It's still a Slim Jim and probably needs the same control inputs. As near as I can tell the distance from the throttle shaft c/l to the TV linkage hole is 1 7/16. Again I measured a 61 2 bbl but I think the 4 bbl should be the same. Trans adjustment info doesn't seem to care which carb you have so the distance is probably the same either way.

Slim Jim is a strange breed. Always seems to be missing a gear - which it is. 1-2 upshifts are supposed to be 14-18 mph minimum throttle or 33-40 mph full throttle. 2-3 are 18-23 minimum throttle and 76-89 full throttle. Downshifts are 3-2 20-15 mph and 16-13 mph closed throttle. I had problems with the 2-1 downshift before I followed the adjusting procedure in the attached pages. Would seem to want to stall the engine before I adjusted it. Not to bad now. It still seems to want to shift very early but I suppose that was an early concession to gas mileage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pg40.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	326152  

Old 06-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oops - it only attached one of the pages. I'll try again. File size was too large so I'll split it in half and try again. Even had to make the pictures separate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pg39top.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	326153   Click image for larger version

Name:	pg39fig34.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	326154   Click image for larger version

Name:	pg39bot.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	326155   Click image for larger version

Name:	pg39fig35.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	326156  

Old 06-11-2013, 02:46 PM

Smile Slim Jim TV linkage

Ok great this information really helps. I'll measure and modify if necessary as soon as possible. Thanks for the help Pfilean.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 PM

I have a 63 GP with the slim jim and I have followed the adjusting procedure, but the trans still doesn't want to down shift into first until the engine has just about stalled. Any other adjustments that I have missed? What would be next, sell the car?

Old 06-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You probably have an internal problem.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:26 PM

Make sure the idle is set to about 600 rpm or lower if it runs smoothly at that speed.
Slim Jim's like a low idle.

Also, try shortening the TV rod to the carb. about a half turn at a time and then test drive.
If it stalls less then try another 1/2 turn and retry until your happy.

Fluid level is sensitive so check that too. Must be checked after warmed up, in park and while running. Should show at hot level. This is a strange tranny, no doubt.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 2 common failures for a Slim-Jim were a cracked torus and a defective governor. It sounds like you may have a governor problem if you are stalling as you come back into 1st. You could change the governor with the trans in the car, but it's not worth it.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had to go through what texasprix is saying to get mine to not stall at stop lights when cold. Worked for me but you may have the internal problems. Next step is to change to a 700R4 and change rear end ratio. That's a lot of work with the mods to the floor pan hump but the results might be worth it. You would then have a 4sp and with a 3.45 rear end still have the same first gear ratios as the Slim Jim and with the overdrive have a better cruising gear also.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And here i thought thats how it was suppose to work! LOL. I will have to see if i can adjust.

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.