Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-06-2023, 05:07 PM

Default Oem hurst shifter slop

Hi everyone, I ordered a set of hurst steel bushings called the hurst pick pack which said they were universal fit. I went to install them in my hurst shifter and it turns out my factory hurst shifter doesn’t use bushings in the plates that connect to the transmission. It looks like the shifter side has rubber bushings but they are much larger in outside diameter than the new bushings so they don’t fit there either. Also, it seems like the shifter has a lot of slop on the shifter side of the linkage. There is lots of side to side play between each of the three arms, I hoping I’m describing it right. What can I do to tighten up the shifting with an oem stock hurst shifter? It’s a 75 firebird with a factory 4sp, the transmission is a Saginaw, and I’m not sure if the Saginaw was stock or swapped in at some point in time.

Old 10-09-2023, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As a kid, I bought a car once with a Hurst Comp+ that could only be "granny shifted" and would completely bind up when power shifted or engaging reverse. I would have to crawl under the car and yank on the shifter rods to free it up when it bound up. I installed the "Pit Pack" bushings hoping for a miracle, but the shifter was just worn out. I wound up throwing out the shifter and installing a new one.

They sell rebuild kits for the Comp+ series shifters but I can't say for sure the OEM has the same internals. You might want to disassemble yours and compare the parts to the ones contained in the kits for possible compatability. I've herd, the shifters are the same with the exception of the shifter handle, lack of over-travel stops and the rubber bushings. The fact that Shifter-Rr (Hurst) stocks only Comp+ and a couple Ford OEM unit rebuild kits is a good indicator that the Comp+ kit is a one-size fits all.

The other alternative is to purchase a Competition+ unit and swap your shift lever onto it.

Rebuild kit at https://www.ebay.com/str/shifterdr?_pgn=4

Old 10-09-2023, 04:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I rebuilt my factory shifter. I can’t recall exactly what kit I bought or where from though. There are shims inside that take up slop from side to side and if I remember right even with a new shim I ended up using one of the old ones in addition. It tightened it up nicely. For forward and aft movement there are a couple major contributors. The bushings where the rods attatch, where the plunger rides inside of each lever and where the handle attaches to the carrier. In the case of stock shifters the handle is held in by a clip with rubber isolators. They wear out and allow some movement in all directions. That made a big difference in my shifter when I replaced them.

I’m thinking this is where I got my rebuild kit although they’re not in stock anymore. He does have shims though which may be enough to solve your problem. https://www.5speeds.com/cart/index.p...ory&path=79_90

He has several videos online including disassembling a shifter. It’s not overly difficult. I also have plenty of pictures from when I rebuilt mind I’d be happy to send you if you if you think it’ll help or have any questions.

Brian
Old 10-10-2023, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39140671808...02b3c460d23020

Old 10-10-2023, 03:42 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

Hurst used to sell a KPO kit for for factory installed Hurst shifters. It replace the factory rubber bushings with metal like the over the counter Comp Plus. Sold a lot of them in my speed shop days including my own '64

Old 10-10-2023, 03:55 PM

Ok I’ll have to order a rebuild kit, I can’t really afford to spend $500 on a brand new shifter so being able to rebuild this one would be nice. I found a set of 3 rubber gaskets made by inline tube for where the linkage rods connect to the shifter. (I also just saw that chrisp send the same ones so I’ll order those). I’ll have to look into the rebuild kit for the shifter itself. I wouldn’t say it binds up at high rpm shifts, but it doesn’t click into gear right away either, kind of have to pull on it hard for it to engage.

Old 10-10-2023, 05:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Shifter doc sells rebuild kits for the OEM Hurst shifters;

https://www.shifterdoc.com/productca...rd-66p1716.htm

There's a couple of Youtube Vidoes out there that cover the steps well.

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 10-10-2023, 09:50 PM

I got my Hurst rebuild kit from 5speeds.com . I also bought the hardened steel bushing and spring kit that he developed. Mine is an aftermarket Competition Plus so give Paul a call if you still need advice your OEM shifter. He was very helpful and patient. He has videos on the sight also.