Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 08-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Proportioning Valve Relocation

I am running headers on my 69 GTO, and I have succeeded in cooking my brake proportioning valve that sits on the frame about 1.5 inches from the header. I know, I should have moved it previously, but I didn't. What is the best way to re-locate it. I have already replaced all of the hard lines when I did a frame off 3 years ago. I really don't want to have to run all new lines. What have you guys done, and where have you re-located your prop valves to. Do you have pictures?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen one where it was on a special bracket mounted directly below the MC. GM made several different steel brackets that went underneath the 2 bolts that hold the MC to the vacuum booster for just such a mount. As I recall they were used on some Chevrolet full size and perhaps even a mini van. Here is one I found a couple of years ago I thought was worth saving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevy Van Brake Combo Valve Bracket.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	216864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevy Van Brake Combo Valve Bracket A.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	216865  

Last edited by Peter Serio; 08-29-2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: added a photo.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can get the same basic bracket out of the junkyard off a Firebird/Camaro. If you're lucky, you may be able to use the short hard lines that run from the M/C to the valve and save you some effort.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 09-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a 79 TA bracket-n-valve on my 68FB.
Mounted under the mstr cyl and on top of brkt horizontally(left to right, not front to rear) and instead of vertical.
Was alot easier to bend-n-run the lines. Easier to change spark plugs now too.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100