Old 07-12-2016, 05:47 AM

Default Steering column parts

Howdy, I need some parts for my steering column 59 Catalina, I'm after the top bearing and the plastic bush that holds the horn wire that runs down the steering column,they look like they might come as a pair, also I need a new neutral safety's switch, I bought one from Ames that looked correct but it didn't fit and can t find one anywhere, I've got a nice grants steering wheel and horn kit to go on the column but the previous owner has got rough and damaged the bush and bearing at the top, they had grafted on a Chevy steering wheel which was a P.O.S cheers

Old 07-13-2016, 08:45 PM

The bearing is reproduced but I have found they are not very good, finding a good original is better and it can be from any 59-64 full size GM vehicle. I probably have one. As to the NS switch that is not reproduced but, I have one of those as well.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo99 View Post
Howdy, I need some parts for my steering column 59 Catalina, I'm after the top bearing and the plastic bush that holds the horn wire that runs down the steering column,they look like they might come as a pair, also I need a new neutral safety's switch, I bought one from Ames that looked correct but it didn't fit and can t find one anywhere, I've got a nice grants steering wheel and horn kit to go on the column but the previous owner has got rough and damaged the bush and bearing at the top, they had grafted on a Chevy steering wheel which was a P.O.S cheers
I don't want to doubt your word but are you positive its an American Catalina? Not a Canadian sourced car which will mean its Chevy based. It it LHD or RHD?

Ian

Old 07-17-2016, 11:45 PM

Its a california car, i shipped it back myself from Turlock

Old 12-27-2016, 04:10 AM

How you getting on with this restoration Tommo

Old 01-21-2017, 06:10 PM

Default Restoration

Going good thanks mate, wiring right now, big job

Old 01-30-2017, 12:33 PM

On my 61, the upper bearing balls were rusty, but the races cleaned up fine. I measured the balls and found a package of 100 online, cheap. Forgot how many I used, maybe 20, but everything is fine now. If anyone needs some "balls", send me a PM or message.
No charge.