Old 06-26-2022, 04:48 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1965 GTO Pin Stripe

I know this has been discussed many times, but now that its time to paint the pin stripe on I can't verify my information. If I remember correctly, the stripe is 3/16". What is the distance down from the body line, is it 15/16? I don't remember and can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Old 06-29-2022, 04:10 PM

Going by the GTO restoration guide, the stripe is 3/32" wide and 5/16" below the accent line on the upper edge of the panel. Hope this helps and if I am wrong someone step up and correct it.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are a couple pics of a original paint 65 car . BF plant

I think the method of striping differed from plant to plant . notice how the stripe on this car does not run to edge. Also look close to ends , appears to have been taped and sprayed . Although I have seen pics of a worker free handing stripe

probably one of those things where you will have to hunt down a car that was built at your plant to examine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8769.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	593808   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8765.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	593809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8386.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	593810  

Old 07-06-2022, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dld View Post
Here are a couple pics of a original paint 65 car . BF plant

I think the method of striping differed from plant to plant . notice how the stripe on this car does not run to edge. Also look close to ends , appears to have been taped and sprayed . Although I have seen pics of a worker free handing stripe

probably one of those things where you will have to hunt down a car that was built at your plant to examine.
Taped, not sprayed.

That is, stripes were painted by hand (presumably be using the fixture in the photo to which you refer) but for some plants the joints and gaps were taped to provide a crisp end.

The Pontiac plant did not tape the ends.

I'm on vacation presently but can measure my car when I get home.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 04:08 PM
Senior Chief

I have a Fremont car. I have seen these pic's from the other posts however I could not find the measurments that the factory used. It was noted here from the restoration guide, I will have to look at it again.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:09 PM

Pg 44. In the 64-72 restoration guide.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:52 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackadder View Post
Pg 44. In the 64-72 restoration guide.
You are correct, first place I looked but somehow missed it. Guess I should look at the pictures more. Thanks.

Some of the original cars look lower that spec'd. I wonder if different plants did do them different or all used the same exact tool.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think he is using a Buegler tool.

"Bill"!

Old 07-10-2022, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You all are going to love this - but - my car is not even remotely close to the same from side to side.

LH side strip is 3/32" consistently along the length.

Starts out 9/16" below the belt featureline until it gets to the rear end cap, where it dives way low, like 1" below the feature.

RH side stripe is 1/16". It stays pretty consistent until it gets to the "hip" in the quarter panel, where it goes low and then gradually rises back up high at the end cap (and gets super thin).

Note that the stripes are painted and the ends allowed to taper and terminate naturally (not taped like some plants).

Just to re-iterate, this is a 5000 mile unrestored GTO built in the Pontiac Michigan facility in September of 1964.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 07-10-2022 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A word about assembly fixtures:

Fixtures, like for adhesive body side trim, hood opening squaring, or - in this case - pinstriping, often are only used at the time of introduction or while management is watching.

They usually fall into disuse because they represent more work for the line operator by having to retrieve them, place them and then put them back at the end of that work cycle, up to 400 times a day.

In their defense, you do get pretty good after doing that many and - in truth nobody can see both sides of the vehicle at the same time.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:11 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
A word about assembly fixtures:

Fixtures, like for adhesive body side trim, hood opening squaring, or - in this case - pinstriping, often are only used at the time of introduction or while management is watching.

They usually fall into disuse because they represent more work for the line operator by having to retrieve them, place them and then put them back at the end of that work cycle, up to 400 times a day.

In their defense, you do get pretty good after doing that many and - in truth nobody can see both sides of the vehicle at the same time.

You are correct. I have many friends and family that worked for GM. Working up the line was done quite often. A couple years ago, I ordered a new GMC 2500hd pick up truck. I told my dealer to have a new set of chrome body side molding ready when it comes in. I told him they would be installed by hand up the line instead of using the tool. Sure enough, all 4 pieces were pointing in all different directions. The dealer took them off, and put new ones on straight. I asked the dealer if he ever complains to upper GM people and he said it never gets anywhere.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
and - in truth nobody can see both sides of the vehicle at the same time.
I keep telling myself that

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 07-10-2022, 06:24 PM
Senior Chief

Can't see both sides at the same time... Where have I heard.... oh that's right, I say that to my boss all the time 😁

Old 07-11-2022, 08:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
You all are going to love this - but - my car is not even remotely close to the same from side to side.

LH side strip is 3/32" consistently along the length.

Starts out 9/16" below the belt featureline until it gets to the rear end cap, where it dives way low, like 1" below the feature.

RH side stripe is 1/16". It stays pretty consistent until it gets to the "hip" in the quarter panel, where it goes low and then gradually rises back up high at the end cap (and gets super thin).

Note that the stripes are painted and the ends allowed to taper and terminate naturally (not taped like some plants).

Just to re-iterate, this is a 5000 mile unrestored GTO built in the Pontiac Michigan facility in September of 1964.

K

On the assembly line would they have had two guys, one on each side doing the pinstripes? Or would it have been one guy doing one side then the other? Two different guys would explain some of the above. Drinking on the job would explain a lot more!

Old 07-11-2022, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They didn't do the pinstripes on the line, per se':

In Pontiac they were done in building 16, which was the shipping building, in a stationary stall.

Plant 16 was where they put paint stripes on the cars, they washed them, and they rubbed them all out. Clean the interiors, put the plastic on the seats, paper on the floors, cover the roofs of cars with vinyl tops or convertibles - anything required to get them ready to ship.

Having said that, it would be possible for the same guy to do both sides - or - they could have had one guy for each side.

My vote would be one guy, both sides, since this would be a relatively "skilled" job, and therefore higher paying and drawing from the higher seniority employees, as indicated in the photo above of somebody's grandpa* striping the car.

K

*Dude is probably 55 and I'm older now than he was then.

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 07-11-2022 at 08:49 AM.