Old 06-29-2022, 10:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default How do they get blocks this clean!

As part of 4 previous engine builds, I used different machine shops for each. Each shop vatted the block and they all cleaned up fine. All of the blocks wound up with some traces/patches of rust staining on the outside. I’m not talking about flash rust that appeared on the block days after picking it up from the shop. This stuff was already there the day I picked these blocks up, so it appeared to be surface rust that was on the block but did not get removed by whatever method the shop used. Now, I compare my experience to what I see in every engine rebuild article in every car magazine I’ve ever seen. All the blocks in these articles are spotlessly clean and look like virgin cast iron. How is this look achieved? Shot peening? Some other product/process?

Old 06-29-2022, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the past I've had them put in a tumbler for lack of a better word, I think it used steel BB's and came out brand new. There is a name for the process that escapes me at the moment, someone will know.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shot blasting

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 10:42 PM

steel abrading............the use of small steel balls to clean the cast iron with friction.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSuchma For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thermal cleaner.... Heats the parts up and pelts it with steel shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220622_104648.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	593454   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220622_104630.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	593455  

Old 06-29-2022, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well there ya go, all kinds of names for it

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 11:01 PM

If you wanted to do it yourself at home, get your 12 GA shotgun and a couple of cases of #4 steel shot! OH.......and a 6 pack of your favorite beer.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSuchma View Post
If you wanted to do it yourself at home, get your 12 GA shotgun and a couple of cases of #4 steel shot! OH.......and a 6 pack of your favorite beer.
Uh, I don’t think so…

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-29-2022, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Well there ya go, all kinds of names for it
Lol... Not really. Tumbling is usually done with an abrasive material rotating in a drum, usually used for cleaning valves. Shot blasting is similar to shot peening but not controlled and won't remove grease, works great for cleaning rusty cranks and cast rods. Steel abrating is one of my favorite but won't work well on an oily block, the best process I've found for cleaning rusty parts like exhaust manifolds. Thermal cleaning heats up the block and is the only process mentioned that will remove rust, corrosion and sludge.... In short

Just trying to be informative.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can tell you how a guy I know tried to shoot a cast iron frying pan with a 12 gauge.

That didn't work out so well. I think beer was involved with that one too

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 11:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Seen the new Laser rust cleaning??? Prob not used on blocks, most are bathed, then put into a shot blasting cabinet with steel BB's. But man, the new Lase tech is wicked!

"If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"
The Following User Says Thank You to zippy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 11:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I can tell you how a guy I know tried to shoot a cast iron frying pan with a 12 gauge.

That didn't work out so well. I think beer was involved with that one too
Tie a rope between 2 trees, then hang the pan off rope off that. Then got a nice game of plinky plinky with the .22!!! Or 50cal black powder!! That's more fun. Yes, there are some in Canada who LOVE shooting too

Old 06-29-2022, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Lol... Not really. Tumbling is usually done with an abrasive material rotating in a drum, usually used for cleaning valves. Shot blasting is similar to shot peening but not controlled and won't remove grease, works great for cleaning rusty cranks and cast rods. Steel abrating is one of my favorite but won't work well on an oily block, the best process I've found for cleaning rusty parts like exhaust manifolds. Thermal cleaning heats up the block and is the only process mentioned that will remove rust, corrosion and sludge.... In short

Just trying to be informative.
It was an added process I've had done in the past that I do remember involved steel shot. It was also tanked with chemicals and all the other usual stuff. I just can't remember what he called it and I haven't had it done in a while. I really like how the block looks when it's finished.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Tie a rope between 2 trees, then hang the pan off rope off that. Then got a nice game of plinky plinky with the .22!!! Or 50cal black powder!! That's more fun. Yes, there are some in Canada who LOVE shooting too
It started with "hold my beer" He propped it up with a rock, point blank, and ended up with dozens of shot imbedded in his skin pretty much from his shoulders to his feet.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
He propped it up with a rock, point blank, and ended up with dozens of shot imbedded in his skin pretty much from his shoulders to his feet.
Ummm OUCH!! and Ya, point blank. Kinda says whats gona happen

The Following User Says Thank You to zippy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Ummm OUCH!! and Ya, point blank. Kinda says whats gona happen
Not one of his best moments, funny looking back though.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The thermal cleaning equipment my school uses was purchased in 1998. So it's 24 years old and has cleaned several thousand blocks, heads, sheet metal and crankshafts. Minimal maintenance, reliable equipment. Our system has a slow rotating drum that the parts are fastened into. Iron and steel like crankshafts are baked in the oven at 600-625 degrees F for an hour. Aluminum blocks, 275-300 degrees F. Overhead cam aluminum heads can't be baked. Ruins the cam bearing journals and tiny shot gets caught in all the teeny, tiny passages. Ultrasonic cleaner is the best we can do with that stuff. From oven, directly into the blaster/tumbler. Ours uses .030" chopped stainless steel wire. It works great but you MUST get all the tiny wire shot out of the castings and all the passages. Looks like new metal when it comes out. The crud and sludge acts as fuel in the oven. The dirtier they go in, the cleaner they come out. All machined surfaces need to be restored when the castings come out of the oven. So every block cleaned this way MUST be line honed, surfaced and cylinders honed. Crankshafts also must be ground undersize if cleaned in our system.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The process per Post #17 is fantastic, making the old Pontiac castings look real good.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
The thermal cleaning equipment my school uses was purchased in 1998. So it's 24 years old and has cleaned several thousand blocks, heads, sheet metal and crankshafts. Minimal maintenance, reliable equipment. Our system has a slow rotating drum that the parts are fastened into. Iron and steel like crankshafts are baked in the oven at 600-625 degrees F for an hour. Aluminum blocks, 275-300 degrees F. Overhead cam aluminum heads can't be baked. Ruins the cam bearing journals and tiny shot gets caught in all the teeny, tiny passages. Ultrasonic cleaner is the best we can do with that stuff. From oven, directly into the blaster/tumbler. Ours uses .030" chopped stainless steel wire. It works great but you MUST get all the tiny wire shot out of the castings and all the passages. Looks like new metal when it comes out. The crud and sludge acts as fuel in the oven. The dirtier they go in, the cleaner they come out. All machined surfaces need to be restored when the castings come out of the oven. So every block cleaned this way MUST be line honed, surfaced and cylinders honed. Crankshafts also must be ground undersize if cleaned in our system.
It is certainly a less aggressive process than the Kolene process we used. I have scars on my arms and hands from Kolene residue. The mineral salts used in the Kolene process are caustic.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-30-2022, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
The process per Post #17 is fantastic, making the old Pontiac castings look real good.
Nah, chopped wire has sharp edges, which requires more machining, especially an Aling hone, which should be avoided. Steel shot is round, and blocks don't require the extra machine work. So method similar, Media is Not.