Old 11-13-2019, 10:16 PM

Default Gotta stripper in my garage...

I recently purchased a new project car. It's a 1979 W72 and rather than be loaded with options, was special ordered without all of the extras. After getting the PHS I found it had a few more options than what I originally thought it had, but it is about as stripped down as I have seen. This is my first Norwood build and was thoroughly disappointed to drop the gas tank to find nothing! Unfortunately the interior had been out of the car at one point and I think the chances of finding a build sheet is lost! Atlantis blue, appointment mix interior of white and blue, without a hoodbird!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	524399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	524400  

Old 11-14-2019, 05:34 AM

Nice project, You plan on restoring it to stock or?

The Following User Says Thank You to T/A addict For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 11:55 AM

It will go back stock appearing. Interested in doctoring the engine up internally!

Old 11-14-2019, 06:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Macho View Post
It will go back stock appearing. Interested in doctoring the engine up internally!
Can you post a few more pics of your car?

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 03-15-2020, 12:12 PM

Default Rear update

The original rear end for my car has arrived! A huge thank you to TAKerry! He met up with the former LTO and picked the unit up and took it to his shop. He mounted it on a pallet and I was able to secure FedEx ground to ship it to Kansas City for $220.

Here are a couple of pics!

PP, G009, 2

Thanks to Rocky for the code deciphering:
PP 3:23 ratio
G Chevrolet Mfg
009 julian date, 9th day of 1979
2 is second shift

Now I start into servicing and restoring the rear end. I am about 85% done with the underside of the rear section of the body. Next I will prep and prime it before some black paint and Atlantis blue overspray!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	79 W72 rear 1.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	534502   Click image for larger version

Name:	79 W72 rear 2.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	534503  

Old 07-29-2020, 08:53 AM

Default Dash

Poncho Dave-

Thanks for the reply, excited to hear what you have!

Thanks,
Jim

Old 11-14-2019, 03:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Strippers are cool. Had a '79 400/4 speed WS6 that was radio delete along with everything else.

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 11-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
Strippers are cool. Had a '79 400/4 speed WS6 that was radio delete along with everything else.
well since there is no such thing as a "radio delete" - this car is pretty much the same;
It was ordered without a radio, but as I recall the "radio accommodation package" essentially got the windshield with embedded antenna - whereas early in the second gen run, you couldn't get this unless you ordered a radio of some sort.

Neat car!!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 11-14-2019, 06:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
well since there is no such thing as a "radio delete" - this car is pretty much the same;
It was ordered without a radio, but as I recall the "radio accommodation package" essentially got the windshield with embedded antenna - whereas early in the second gen run, you couldn't get this unless you ordered a radio of some sort.

Neat car!!
Correct with radio delete, no radio was ordered. Wasn't the term "acoustical insulation" used. Let me find the pictures of the build sheet and window sticker. IIRC, no windshield antenna was on the car.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:28 PM

Progress has been fairly slow. I pressured washed the underside again. Got lots of dirt off but undercoating not so much. I am trying to refinish parts as I take them off. Power steering pump and and front sway bar are done, and have purchased new ps hoses and sway bar bushings and links.

I cleaned some on the driver side outside rear frame rail this afternoon. I am pretty surprised at how much of the underneath side of this car is blue. Definitely going back this way. I like using a wire knot brush head on a hand held die grinder.

Go Chiefs!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0191.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	529988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0193.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	529989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0194.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	529990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	529991  

Old 02-06-2020, 07:42 PM

Default Good news...

Quick update.

I purchased the car from a 25 year old kid who swore to the previous long term owner of 30 years that he was going to restore this car as a way of sealing the deal on the purchase. After getting the car home, he quickly advertised it to make a quick buck. That is where I came in the picture. I have since stopped any communication with the 25 year old kid. All I can say is that Karma always comes around. So in the process, I was able to make contact with the LTO. He purchased the car from his best-friends little brother. Said little brother is the one who ran the car into the ground.

Long story short, I got a text message yesterday that LTO had found the original disc brake/posi rear end for the car and that if I wanted it, it was mine! Very cool, and generous on his part! I knew something was up with the rear axle that is currently in the car, but hadn't done any research or asked LTO details. Turns out the original rear axle had locked up and he got tired of needing help moving the car around in his barn. So he got another rear axle that is out of an '81 turbo T/A and set the original unit to the side. I am stoked about getting the original axle back in the car.

Now I have the dilemma of shipping a rear axle from DE to MO!

Anybody have any suggestions?

Last edited by 78Macho; 02-06-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I should have sent mine along with yours that way you could have done 2 at the same time! Looks Great!!

Old 07-26-2020, 04:18 PM

Default Dash pad...

Ok, so I am hopeful to get the rear axle mounted under the car within the next few days. Pictures to follow!

I have been watching on the sidelines for a dash pad. The original has had the radio hole butchered and the pad itself looks as though it might have been punched. It is not repairable. I would ultimately love to find another donor dash in blue but realize this might be a little unreasonable. For some reason I have lost out on 3 good dashes and am getting frustrated!

1. 1977 base firebird, IN, original radio, no cracks. Car has deluxe, tuxedo interior and I asked about purchasing the mint sunvisors. Seller is getting ready to pull the dash and accidently put a crack in it. I said no problem, we can adjust the price and I can have the crack repaired. Ghosted!

2. 1978 Esprit, MN, original radio, slight crack in normal spot, and a beautiful 4 speed console with manual crank windows. We agree on a price, I send him a deposit and he sells the complete car!

3. 1979 TA, MI, original radio, no cracks, seller states asking price, I agree. Tells me to call him back next week to confirm. I call, he replies dash is being pulled as we speak. Call back on Friday to confirm. Ghosted!

4. 1979 Esprit, WA, with the light blue interior with the original radio and a slight typical crack. Owner only wants to sell car complete because it was his father's car for 20 years and he can't stand to see it parted out even though it has sat outside for the last 6 years unlicensed.

Maybe I need to give up my search for the time being? Anyone have a nice dash for sale?

Old 11-14-2019, 06:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Old 11-14-2019, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

there's a local who still has his (as he oredered it) 1977 TA;
It's a no-radio car;
IIRC he didn't realize when he ordered his car (w/o a radio) that the antenna windshield wouldn't be installed - which is why he installed a conventional antenna on his car.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 11-14-2019, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked at that car online real hard. Good buy for a NO RUST STRIPPER. Well done!

Old 11-14-2019, 10:46 PM

Yes, the radio accommodation package essentially gave you the hook up for a radio, but not a radio mounted in the dash. Otherwise I believe it would have listed something such as Am radio, AM/FM stereo etc... I am contemplating putting it back with a delete plate in place and possibly putting a blue tooth behind the glove box. This is similar to what I did for my Macho.

I had a loaded Heritage brown '79 W72 I bought from the original owner back in the late '80's. It had everything but power locks, including a power CB antenna!

I am really stoked about this project. Unfortunately it was described a little different than what I ended up with... I recently spoke with the long time owner that had it stored in his pole barn for over 25 years. It has been ridden very, very hard and put away wet one too many times. The body is rust-free, but there is some surface rust that I wasn't expecting.

I don't have many pictures of it right now. One is of it arriving on a truck from PA and the other is of the engine compartment. Seller put the original engine back in the car for shipping. It had a 455/400 turbo in it before it was stored away in the barn. Evidently the last registered owner like to go fast and originality wasn't a factor. If it didn't have the original engine to go along with the car, I probably would have passed on the car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	524519   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0109.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	524520  

Old 11-15-2019, 01:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Macho View Post
Yes, the radio accommodation package essentially gave you the hook up for a radio, but not a radio mounted in the dash. Otherwise I believe it would have listed something such as Am radio, AM/FM stereo etc... I am contemplating putting it back with a delete plate in place and possibly putting a blue tooth behind the glove box. This is similar to what I did for my Macho.

I had a loaded Heritage brown '79 W72 I bought from the original owner back in the late '80's. It had everything but power locks, including a power CB antenna!

I am really stoked about this project. Unfortunately it was described a little different than what I ended up with... I recently spoke with the long time owner that had it stored in his pole barn for over 25 years. It has been ridden very, very hard and put away wet one too many times. The body is rust-free, but there is some surface rust that I wasn't expecting.

I don't have many pictures of it right now. One is of it arriving on a truck from PA and the other is of the engine compartment. Seller put the original engine back in the car for shipping. It had a 455/400 turbo in it before it was stored away in the barn. Evidently the last registered owner like to go fast and originality wasn't a factor. If it didn't have the original engine to go along with the car, I probably would have passed on the car.
I'd like to find another like that.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad I was able to help, and glad you got it so quickly. Not sure if you did but I sent the LTO a text saying it had shipped, he was happy to hear that. I was very temped to wire wheel the casting info and see what it was but I figured that would be like opening someone else's birthday present! Thank you for your generosity as well.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good looking car, and yes, other than some fluff options, it is a stripper.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4