THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:15 PM

Default car batteries

I have always bought diehard gold car batteries, but sadly Sears went out of business. What are other good brands with enough cca for the GTO? I don't want to put a tartop in it and I don't want an Optima unless they make a black one.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Currently have, and always buy batteries from COSTCO. they currently sell Interstate. I always buy the one with the highest CCA rating that will fit in the battery box.

George

Old 06-13-2019, 06:31 PM
Suspended

A lot of people buy WalMart Neverstart. I tried them once, they lived up to their name. I have used Interstate for decades. The one in one of my cars is pushing 20 years. Did not use the car or charged the battery in the past 2 years. Charged it the other day and not only did it check out good, it had no problem turning over 562 horse with 12.85:1 CR. By the way, Interstate and Die Hard are the same batteries. I know, I was a Sears tech.

On a side note: Nothing aggravates me more than seeing a high end restoration with a cheap ass battery under the hood. And I see it a lot.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had good luck with a Deka 850 cca 34/78 dual terminal batt, in my diesel tractor. Paid less than $100 for it. Tried to buy a couple recently. But the best price I could find was well over $100, closer to $125. Yes, I realize that lots of guys don't mind paying $300 and even more for the high end batts.

You might check with your area discount batt stores that sell Deka batts. It seems that batt prices can vary, quite a bit.

https://www.batteryprice.com/product-p/deka778dt.htm

Also had a couple of Exide NASCAR 800 cca 34/78 dual terminal batts that worked good in my last 455 bracket car. Bought one at a local discount batt store. They only had one in stock. Had to buy one at Tractor Supply. When I checked Tractor Supply this time, it seems they no longer sell those Exide batts.

Have that same 455 in another car now. Bought some 800 cca Marine batts for it, from Advance Auto. No alternator. Cranked it probably 20 times over a several week period. Never failed to turn it over plenty fast enuff to start, even tho I never charged 'em. Don't know how long they would have kept crankin it. But, they seem to have plenty of power to last thru a race without having to charge 'em. Finally did charge 'em anyhow, just because.

You can go online & get a 25% off discount code for Advance Auto Parts, buy online, & pick 'em up in your nearest Advance Auto location. This made these, by far, the cheapest 800 cca marine batts I could fine.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...920%7CL2*15000

https://www.couponcodes.com/advance-...ons?em=6826476

If you don't mind paying $300-$400, you can buy the latest batt tech, big name batts.

https://carfromjapan.com/article/car...attery-review/

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...tOrder=Default

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...rder=Ascending

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...EaArNSEALw_wcB

Last edited by ponyakr; 06-13-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's interesting Chief and timely. Just today I had a 2006 Sprinter van towed to my shop. It has 2 batteries, one under the hood and the other under the passenger seat. Both Interstate 900 CCA group 49 batteries. Production sticker 11/2017. Both dead as a door nail. I tried the deep recovery mode on my high end charger and one recovered to 17% and the other to 23%. Called the local Interstate distributor and they said it has a 12 month free replacement. The pro-rated warranty didn't amount to much. You just never know, I guess. No battery drain BTW, Only 30 ma after the computers shut down. The OP sounded like he wanted a battery with a black case. NAPA batteries are black and you can peel off all the stickers and remove the lift handle. Then it doesn't stand out. I have been getting good service life from them.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bought my last one at Batteries and bulbs (chain) If you're close to one, a good deal.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/

If you buy it online, you get 10% off, and at the time I also got a $10 rebate so it was under $100. Ran over to the store and picked it up right after ordering it.
Spins the starter over just fine cold and hot.

68 GTO
Old 06-13-2019, 07:41 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO68FXSTC98 View Post
I have always bought diehard gold car batteries, but sadly Sears went out of business.
I used to use those too, as I was a Service Adviser years ago. When I got my car running after 10 years in storage, I bought a battery at O'Reillys. Been fine for two years and it's trunk-mounted.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 06-13-2019, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can still buy Diehard batteries, on Amazon.com.
https://www.amazon.com/DieHard-38188.../dp/B0776YYWQ6

Old 06-13-2019, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohunter View Post
Bought my last one at Batteries and bulbs (chain) If you're close to one, a good deal.
I've been buying batteries from them for a while now, although the ones I have are some other brand - it's been a few years since I last purchased one so I don't know if they changed suppliers or if they just changed the sticker on the side of the battery. In any case I've been satisfied with Batteries Plus and their products.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Deka here also, old company in Pennsylvania I believe.

http://www.byjanmarie.com/firebird/69.html
69 Camaro 327 4sp. 4.10
http://www.byjanmarie.com/camaro/69camaro.html ( SOLD)
2002 Camaro LE/SLP-(sold)
1967 Nova SS-- 327, M20, 3.73, FRT Disc
Old 06-13-2019, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Duracell brand is a Deka made battery, I just bought one for my 2005 GTO last year from Batteries Plus. There's usually a 10% off coupon if you buy it online and pick it up at the local store too.

Deka is a PA. company that has been making top quality batteries for many years. Sams club also sells Duracell brand too.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
That's interesting Chief and timely. Just today I had a 2006 Sprinter van towed to my shop. It has 2 batteries, one under the hood and the other under the passenger seat. Both Interstate 900 CCA group 49 batteries. Production sticker 11/2017. Both dead as a door nail. I tried the deep recovery mode on my high end charger and one recovered to 17% and the other to 23%. Called the local Interstate distributor and they said it has a 12 month free replacement. The pro-rated warranty didn't amount to much. You just never know, I guess. No battery drain BTW, Only 30 ma after the computers shut down. The OP sounded like he wanted a battery with a black case. NAPA batteries are black and you can peel off all the stickers and remove the lift handle. Then it doesn't stand out. I have been getting good service life from them.
Well, my Interstate is still the green top with the white case. It was installed in 2004. Interstate is now black with a white and green label.

Who remembers the JC Penny Lifetime battery? That was the best I ever came across.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:21 PM
Senior Chief

I’ve had great luck with Deka batteries. The one in my 68 lasted almost 20 years.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohunter View Post

https://www.batteriesplus.com/

If you buy it online, you get 10% off, and at the time I also got a $10 rebate so it was under $100. Ran over to the store and picked it up right after ordering it.
Spins the starter over just fine cold and hot.
I bought one of these for the wife’s Highlander about 6 months ago. They had the best deal I found locally. I got an extra discount for buying it online and picking it up.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whatever brand battery you buy check the date on the battery. I've seen quite a few batteries in stores that have a build date a year old or more. When I took over the parts room of a new car dealer I found the previous manager never rotated his stock of batteries. The ones at the back were so old they wouldn't take a charge.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:00 PM

Napa batteries should be Deka.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:07 AM

Sears is still in business hear is a link to their batterys you call still buy them Most sears stores have close some are still open or you can order one on line, Link. https://www.sears.com/automotive-bat...lterList=Brand

Old 06-14-2019, 08:48 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymad View Post
Napa batteries should be Deka.
I never had any luck with NAPA. Carquest aren't have great either. There is an Exide dealer here, tried them once. Those could possibly be worse than a WalMart Neverstart.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Normally, I have bought AutoZone Gold batteries. Most have gone 10 years or more. The best recent deal was at AutoZone for a Delco Professional battery for my 1973 Formula. They were on clearance for $60 with a full warranty. We'll see how far it goes.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 06-14-2019, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interstate, Motorcraft and ACDelco used to all be made by Johnson Controls in St. Joe, MO.

Interstate has now moved their production to Mexico.

ACDelco Advantage batteries are made in Korea. The Professional Gold and Silver batteries are still made by JCI in St. Joe. Motorcraft also.

As the OP noted - I'm not in to putting a tar top in for "correctness" in my Pontiac. But an ACDelco sure looks more correct than a green one.