THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't get up early for the regular cruise stuff. Cruising has always been and always will be (for me) a late night thing. I'll roll in around dinner time and just find a spot somewhere. I don't need to get there early for a primo spot.

Best time spent though for me is the Route 66 cruise, or the cruises around town visiting shops during the Goodguys weekend, Cottonwood has a cruise up and down main street that's kind of neat, or like you said, just getting together with a group and going for a drive through the mountains is always a good time.

Shucks I wish we had more events at the dragstrip. I can never get enough of that, and racing the car is just as much fun as driving it. Any of that sure beats sitting around in a lawn chair.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 06-30-2021, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not into the car show thing either....

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 06-30-2021, 09:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Time to train the DJ or someone's I pod?
Where do YOU think the range should be ( in years).
We all " dislike something " ignore that and put your range.
Great topic and questions, I see the consensus is moving forward from the 50's.

Perhaps could be asked in the form of a suggestion box at your local meets?

'60man' mentioned some country mix, Hank Williams Jr. or Johnny Cash.

Anyone else for some chit kickin stuff? Older or newer suits me, jus make it fun.

"QUICK-SILVER" posted this older 59 tune in the Fathers Day thread.

George Jones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE5pM1HXxlI

I think the key is to keep it up-beat, fresh, and mix it up, country, pop rock, rock.

Toby Kieth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyTY_oYR_c&t=45s

Frank

Last edited by 4zpeed; 06-30-2021 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a fan of participating in car shows. I like to go to them and wander around to see the cool cars then leave when I've had my fill. If I never hear Elvis or "little GTO" again, that would be fine.

I like cruise-ins where it's just a bunch of people showing up at some burger joint or park in the afternoon or evening. Show up, look at and talk cars for awhile, then head on out whenever.

As for the music, I'm pretty much over what constitutes "classic rock.". No master how good a song is, there are only so many times I can listen to it before I don't need to hear it again for a long time and the popular stuff that gets played on the radio and at car shows.

I like bird72's suggestions, and yeah, throw in some old school country too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2021, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like no music. Just like when I Cruze.
Like at the Dayton Firebird show, it’s loud, some cars you can’t go near.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:12 AM

For my part being part of a local chapter (ACCK) of the sentral Norwegian Amcar Club (ACCN) struggling with recruiting new members and getting fresh blood in the club, I Cringe every time there is Honkey-tonk/beep bop 50 -60's music blaring out of som members car. It is soo rooted in an old car club with still founding members in the club:
But it does us no favours in recruiting new interest in the club,. but that is my personal opinion.

-469 ,Butler 310+ Eheads, Hurricane intake portmatched by butler, Butler roller 230/236 @0.50 112 LSA, Johnson lifters, pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, 3.42 yukon duragrip lsd, holley sniper efi, hyperfuel efi tank +++
Old 07-01-2021, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This has been brought up before. You are never going to make everyone happy. I honestly think the closest you would get is to tune to XMs Classic Rewind channel. Even the younger crowd probably doesnt mind Bob Segar and Joan Jett. Start getting earlier and you lose people. Plus the XM channel is more prone to playing some deep cuts rather than just the same songs everyone has heard 80K times.

The one thing nearly everyone agrees on is to drop the Time Life 4 CD Doo Wop collection. While, not the only reason, that is a contributing factor to why I dont do normal car shows. Bunch of the same cars Ive always seen listening to tired music that needs to be taken out back and put down. If there isnt a swap meet, or some type of actual activity (Racing, autocross, etc) I dont go.

I listen to straight up metal. So I almost always go to swap meets and put my headphones in. Nothing like finding an intake I need whilst being serenaded by Slayer and Sepultura.

Hot take, but I think if you listen to country music you should have your hot rods keys taken from you.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2021, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I vote nice peaceful silence......they always play too much 50's stuff and the volume
is always way too loud.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:13 PM
Senior Chief

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
This has been brought up before. You are never going to make everyone happy. I honestly think the closest you would get is to tune to XMs Classic Rewind channel. Even the younger crowd probably doesnt mind Bob Segar and Joan Jett. Start getting earlier and you lose people. Plus the XM channel is more prone to playing some deep cuts rather than just the same songs everyone has heard 80K times.

The one thing nearly everyone agrees on is to drop the Time Life 4 CD Doo Wop collection. While, not the only reason, that is a contributing factor to why I dont do normal car shows. Bunch of the same cars Ive always seen listening to tired music that needs to be taken out back and put down. If there isnt a swap meet, or some type of actual activity (Racing, autocross, etc) I dont go.

I listen to straight up metal. So I almost always go to swap meets and put my headphones in. Nothing like finding an intake I need whilst being serenaded by Slayer and Sepultura.

Hot take, but I think if you listen to country music you should have your hot rods keys taken from you.
Are you SURE we're not related???

I coulda wrote this response. Country music is for farm animals and mutants.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansboy70 View Post
Country music is for farm animals and mutants.
I am proud to be a mutant and farm animal. WAYLON

As a counterpoint, I respect whatever music you hold dear.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bird72 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2021, 02:31 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post

You are correct sir! I apologize. Music in all forms should be appreciated. That quote was from the Bloom County comic strip and it has always stuck in my head. I do like some classic country music.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post

Word up brother, whatever..., much better than a narcissistic view.
Quote:
You are correct sir! I apologize. Music in all forms should be appreciated. That quote was from the Bloom County comic strip and it has always stuck in my head. I do like some classic country music.
That my friend is much better, thank you for setting an example.

Frank

Old 07-01-2021, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post

My man!

All I listen to is metal / nu-metal. So attending car shows playing that 50s crap is painful.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2021, 03:50 PM

I do not know why people pay money to sit around their car all day in the sun in hopes of winning a plastic trophy. There are only so many times you can look at a nice car and say oh thats a nice car. Oh look that one has the rare optional tissue holder. I will go sometimes if there is a swap meet but even then 20 just to get in seems ridiculous to me when I can go to the local junkyard for free and get better stuff.
I will say I like rock but never into speed metal, that is what I call it. Talking about slayer made me think of Jim Brewer and his take on slayer fans.
https://youtu.be/LmuLBDjp9cI

Old 07-01-2021, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And now ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Conway Twitty!

Old 07-01-2021, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Only thing better is a takeout tray w/ fake food, stuffed animals, models of your car,
Signed parts, coolers that match, posters that blow into other cars, putting cotton around tires for a simulated burnout, back seat full of trophy’s, big photo album of the Resto at the trailer park, magazines sayin Don’s my neighbor so my cars in PP. lol

The Following User Says Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2021, 05:53 PM
Senior Chief

most if not all radio stations play , what pays the bills

Old 07-01-2021, 07:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn View Post
most if not all radio stations play , what pays the bills
This station, and other METV stations play a great variety, and still pay the bills.
https://metv.fm/

Old 07-01-2021, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
All good, I was friendly jabbin' back. When music is good (and all genres have bad), it should transcend barriers. My nemesis is bluegrass, I have tried and tried. But once years back, found myself really enjoying Doug Kershaw live. The other day I heard a rap / dance kind of song. Rap is not my style. Found myself liking it a lot. Not a heavy metal guy, but my neighbor plays it loud sometimes. I need to ask him the artists, some are really good. Went to see Neil Young years ago. The opening act was Pearl Jam. What a weird mix crowd. Not sure if any Pearlies liked Neil, but a bunch of Neil fans liked Pearl Jam after that show. On and on..... music is The Healer. Christ, I need to shut up and get my little used SG out.

Old 07-01-2021, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Are you SURE we're not related???
I’ve always thought I don’t look like either of my parents, so anything is on the table.

When it gets a little cooler you should come up for a test n tune at one of the tracks up here. We can compare facial features.

I can’t stand country music. Buncha dorks singing in fake accents about how much they love bonfires and cheap beer. I swear every time Im in rural king there is a new song about drinking around a fire.

With that said, I will say that a lot of what the rest of the board probably holds dear, doesn’t compare to country today. I wouldn’t call myself a Conway Twitty fan, but it’s tolerable in short bursts. It’s not the same thing I’m referring my loathing to.

I would also say that country likes to claim a lot of artists that I would more call folk, or even early rock more than country. Cash especially comes to mind. Johnny Cash had a drug problem. That’s solid rock n roll territory.

I’m a believer that the more old car activity the better, but we are always talking about getting the next generation involved. I really think your average car show in a church or KFC parking lot that vaguely benefits some local police charity or something does nobody any favors. It’s cool for the dudes who go to all of those and know each other, but it’s a snooze fest to outsiders and newcomers.

As I’ve said, the music sucks at those things, I think most of us feel that way, but it’s not the biggest issue. It doesn’t help that when people try to put together something fun they tend to be TERRIBLE at getting the word out. It always astounds me how bad the local tracks are at marketing their stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports