Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidpainter View Post
I've got a '56 Oval and I am chopping up a '62 rag parts car. As somebody already mentioned, http://www.thesamba.com is THE place you need to go for all your technical questions and parts hunting.
Yeah, I've been getting a lot of questions answered over there so far without even joining. Just search and ye shall find.
I'm really enjoying the car...trying to resist going down the restoration path. That's how my '68 Goat wound up going from a drivable car to a 3 year garage relic.
I'm just going to get the oil leaks fixed, clean up the interior a bit and drive it for a couple of years, hopefully.

bastard. I did get in touch with John at Aircooled.net. He sold me on a new single vacuum/centrifical advance distributor with the Pertronix upgrade. I almost hate to mess with it since it's running great now but I think it'll be more fuel efficient and that's a big plus right now for me.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Suspended

Is it leaking between the crankcase halves?

Old 06-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primitive Artist View Post
Is it leaking between the crankcase halves?
It does not appear to be leaking there. I know at least two pushrod tubes are leaking and possibly the front(?) main seal and/or the oil cooler. Something up front. Mainly the pushrod tubes though. That's where it's hitting the ground and only when running.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Suspended

Those o-ring seals on the pushrod tubes are always the first to leak. Perhaps, silicone would seal longer than o-rings

Old 06-15-2008, 07:28 PM

Here's my '56 next to my next GTO project I'm finishing up my '69 Judge so I think I will get the VW done before the '70.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been playing around with mine this evening. The thing is really running great now that I got the carb problems ironed out.
Adjusted the rear brakes and e-brake. Goes good and stops good now.
An aircooled compact is truly a tinkerer's dream...and all us car guys are tinkerers at heart.
Lidpainter, Nice couple of projects you have there. Goats and Bugs seem to go well together. I'm enjoying them both now.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:48 PM

The old Bugs and Buses have always been good vehicles.

They're easy to work on and reliable if you take the time to learn what makes 'em tick and how to maintain them.

From age 15 to 30 I drove air-cooled VWs exclusively. Never had a car payment, cheap on gas and I could do just about anything to them mechanically. Very important when you're young and broke.

Still love 'em.

Gonna bring my '66 Type II pickup out from a long sleep pretty soon.