Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:08 PM

Troy I'd also look into caling a PA lawyer for their take.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd be pi$$ed too Troy. What a crock. I'd fight it just on the principle of it now.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 09-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fighting it is not worth your time. Pay it and get your trailer inspected. That is PA, some things suck in this state and some things are good.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Senior Chief

sounds like he did not have probale cause.he did not see the sticker in the window as the reason he pulled you over.i bet a good lawyer will wipe his ass with the ticket.remember its what he pulled you over for and you showed him the sticker

Old 09-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Troy,

I would definately pursue this further; as stated before "they don't expect out of staters" to follow up, but just pay the fine(s), which is what they count on!

What does a PA LEO, especially LOCAL, have to do with enforcement of VA registered/plated vehicle and VA's inspection laws?

How would/could ANY State/Local LEO possibly know, or be required to know, EVERY states vehicle inspection codes/laws?

I cannot imagine that anything more than expired tags would be the extent of their knowledge and/or jurisdiction

As an example, not long ago VA instituted a radical law for speeding violations in regards to the fines and probation, but it only applies to VA RESIDENTS, all others are treated as normal speeding violations. I would believe this is also due to jurisdictional issues.

74 Ventura 462/#13 heads/3350#
10.38 @ 128.89 MPH, N/A, Stock suspension, 275/60 Radial, Street legal, Tagged & Insured
Old 09-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
Troy I'd also look into caling a PA lawyer for their take.

Mike
Mike. Thanks. Thought about that but will be calling the Judge in Snyder County for his opinion/ruling today. Will surprise me if he rules against cop but " ya never know". Figure I'll know which way to go after talking to him....most likley screwed! Damn it pi$$es me off... but I won't be forgetful about trailer anymore. It gave him amo. Right or wrong.

Beaver Bob McCardle called him "Officer Friendly" a complete ass. Has no respect for him. Seems he rights speeding tickets for 7 MPH in a 35 zone over too. Judges know his tactics and will reduce fines or throw out tickets...I'm hoping Judge is on my side..

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..

Last edited by 60man; 09-10-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:51 AM

I'd seek legal counsel first. They might be able to give you a statute to quote on your discussion.

I know for a fact in OH that Out OF State Vehicles DO NOT have to comply with the Ohio Standards fo Inspection.

MIke

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PA preys on out of state vehicles..... that's how they make their money. They figure that because you are form another state that you won't fight the ticket. And that is usually the case.

I got a ticket on I-81 north of Manada Hill back in the 80s with a carhauler. In the left hand lane in a construction zone... and no one was working on the highway. I admit, and admitted to the Trooper, I was going a bit fast. I was going doing 50 in a 45. I also was only a mile away from the exit and had to get off the highway as I had lost the waterpump and was losing coolant like crazy. Trooper didn't give a crap and wrote me up. Cost..... $239 bucks. Fines are doubled in work zones whether they are working or not. Yeah, I paid it as I couldn't get back for the court date. PA loves out of state truckers, or anyone out of state they can nail.

The PA cops even love to eyeball my Taurus that I got from my mom's estate. It's from VA, and I left the last inspection sticker on the windshield as a souvenir..... from Jan of 04.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'd seek legal counsel first. They might be able to give you a statute to quote on your discussion.

I know for a fact in OH that Out OF State Vehicles DO NOT have to comply with the Ohio Standards fo Inspection.

MIke
I hear ya Mike. I think I can use the item I posted earlier in post from PennDOT sight. Gives ten days to get inspection when brought into PA State. I will cite it to Judge. I always thought you could only be written for moving violations when out of state !!.I'll feel Judge out first and make a decision. Problem is a lawyer is $350.00+ /hr. and fine is $109.00... Officer Friendly banks on it .

Thanks for thoughts guys..I'm not alone on my thinking

ECM member.
MANDRA

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.

Last edited by 60man; 09-10-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: self preservation
Old 09-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

MIke
I hear ya Mike. I think I can use the item I posted earlier in post from PennDOT sight. Gives ten days to get inspection when brought into PA State. I will cite it to Judge. I always thought you could only be written for moving violations when out of state !!.I'll feel Judge out first and make a decision. Problem is a lawyer is $350.00+ /hr. and fine is $109.00....Damn cops know that.

Thanks for thoughts guys..I'm not alone on my thinking

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 09-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Senior Chief

I had a Honda Accord awhile back that had a cracked windshield, being a beater I got a used windshield from the junkyard to install. I drove it all over my home state and they did not pull me over for an inspection ticket. One day I went down to VA, on my way back home I went through PA Took (81 N) to see a friend that lives close to me right over the MD border. I got stopped by a PA cop who gave me a huge fine for a broken windshield. I even told him I had just got one to install, didnt matter. I went through 4 states MD, WV, VA, and only some local Borough PA cop got me. Almost to MD also lol. If I was in MD the most I would get would be an "inspection ticket/repair order" that gets signed. I feel you Troy.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:14 PM
62Lemans

Remember all of these things the next time they call and ask you for donations to the policemans ball or whatever other charity the fuzz dream up.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:27 PM
62Lemans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE DEYTON View Post
I had a Honda Accord awhile back that had a cracked windshield, being a beater I got a used windshield from the junkyard to install .......... I got stopped by a PA cop who gave me a huge fine for a broken windshield. ..........
Joe,

I think Ida had that windshield replaced before the sun went down and over to see the officers superior the next morning bright and early and asked him to show me the crack!!

Old 09-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
Fighting it is not worth your time. Pay it and get your trailer inspected. That is PA, some things suck in this state and some things are good.
Yep...very true. That's what I have to do You are right about dear old PA State...

Judge Savage was a waste of time. Should have saved my breath and ask Offier Friendly where do I bend over at ?? Judge said" come to court and plead your case" Gheeee. why didn't I think of that? God I hate giving in but I do not have to time to go to court in PA. I won't give up that easy on this monsense !!!

Over & out Guys. Thanks for the moral support & advise.
End of story...

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 09-18-2009, 02:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Crap, I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. In short words and according to the way the law was explained to me, we can't enforce another state's INSPECTION laws here in PA. He should not have issued you that ticket. We can only enforce the following "out of state laws" expired insurance, expired/suspended registration and expired/suspended drivers licenses, but not inpsection stickers. The wording of our inpsection laws is the reason why:

4703. Operation of vehicle without official certificate of inspection.
(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this section, no motor vehicle required to bear current registration plates issued by this Commonwealth and no farm vehicle with a gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 17,000 pounds for which a Type I biennial certificate of exemption has been issued shall be driven and no trailer required to bear current registration plates issued by this Commonwealth shall be moved on a highway and no mass transit vehicle shall be operated unless the vehicle displays a currently valid certificate of inspection issued under this chapter.

Call for a hearing. No need for an attorney! Simply put, your vehicle doesn't bear current registration plates "issued by this commonwealth (PA)" . Our rookie officers are always ticketing people (usually from Maryland) for this crap and I always have to slap their hands...lol

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

db

Old 09-18-2009, 03:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to poison heart

Legal counsel is not worth the money, neither is fighting it. I would talk to the prosecutor and see if he'll throw it out. If he doesn't think they will win it he will throw it out. That's his job.

I know if you get a ticket in Texas, you have to pay a 110$ (+/-) "court fee" whether you fight it or not. If you get a ticket here for not registration and you get it registered before you appear in court they drop the fine from 164$ to $20. In that case, I'm not sure you have to pay the $110 fee or not. But if you fight it you will.

So, talk to the prosecutor and see if he thinks it's BS. He might just throw it out since it sounds like total BS.

Another point, I know if you get pulled over for "speeding" but you weren't speeding, and the cop sees a bag of cocaine on your seat and takes you to jail you can fight that and win easy since the cop did not have justifiable probable cause to pull you over in the first place. Kind of sounds like the same thing here, except you didn't have PA registration. That may be justifiable probable cause for the cop.

1959 Star Chief 4 Dr HT dual quad 389 4 speed
1962 Pontiac Plain Jane Catalina

http://pontiac-59.com/
Old 09-18-2009, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison heart View Post
Legal counsel is not worth the money, neither is fighting it. I would talk to the prosecutor and see if he'll throw it out. If he doesn't think they will win it he will throw it out. That's his job.

I know if you get a ticket in Texas, you have to pay a 110$ (+/-) "court fee" whether you fight it or not. If you get a ticket here for not registration and you get it registered before you appear in court they drop the fine from 164$ to $20. In that case, I'm not sure you have to pay the $110 fee or not. But if you fight it you will.

So, talk to the prosecutor and see if he thinks it's BS. He might just throw it out since it sounds like total BS.

Another point, I know if you get pulled over for "speeding" but you weren't speeding, and the cop sees a bag of cocaine on your seat and takes you to jail you can fight that and win easy since the cop did not have justifiable probable cause to pull you over in the first place. Kind of sounds like the same thing here, except you didn't have PA registration. That may be justifiable probable cause for the cop.

#1. In Pennsyltuckey (sp lol!), the arresting officer is the "prosecutor".

#2. In PA, they are gonna slam your a$$ now! Last state in the union to not have a state budget.

#3. We, the residents, are futckd.

#4. Scott M. voted for Rendell. I have pictures of Scott and Ed on a see-saw. Ed was WAY up in the air.

2008 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 TRD (5.7 381 hp)
1978 Trans Am w/69 428 (343hp/452 FPT)
1999 Black T/A, M6 (allegedly stock 325hp)
Old 09-18-2009, 06:51 AM

Default WOW

Looks like there's some good advice posted here for you

We do not have state inspection stickers for private use just commercial use

Wow guess i feel lucky, bought a new car trailer in Claysburg Pa went to Connecticut got my 34 Buick coupe

Went back through Pa with the temporary cardboard trailer license plate which was showing wear & tear from the rain and snow

I had the car dealer where i got the temp. make me a photo copy of the plate just in case, when i got back to Minnesota there wasn't much left of the plate

I didn't have any problems with cops in any states i went through
just some jawin with with a cop in Connecticut at the gas pump about the old coupe, he was a car guy

Old 09-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingbreed View Post
Crap, I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. In short words and according to the way the law was explained to me, we can't enforce another state's INSPECTION laws here in PA. He should not have issued you that ticket. We can only enforce the following "out of state laws" expired insurance, expired/suspended registration and expired/suspended drivers licenses, but not inpsection stickers. The wording of our inpsection laws is the reason why:

4703. Operation of vehicle without official certificate of inspection.
(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this section, no motor vehicle required to bear current registration plates issued by this Commonwealth and no farm vehicle with a gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 17,000 pounds for which a Type I biennial certificate of exemption has been issued shall be driven and no trailer required to bear current registration plates issued by this Commonwealth shall be moved on a highway and no mass transit vehicle shall be operated unless the vehicle displays a currently valid certificate of inspection issued under this chapter.

Call for a hearing. No need for an attorney! Simply put, your vehicle doesn't bear current registration plates "issued by this commonwealth (PA)" . Our rookie officers are always ticketing people (usually from Maryland) for this crap and I always have to slap their hands...lol

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

db
I just got back from Philly for a doctor's appointment & been gone a while. I did go online to PennDOT and read Chapter 47 too. I blew right past the General Rule...Duh !!!
I thought 4703/c might apply. I haven't paid fine yet but don't think I will just because I'm a proud guy and don't like a BS artist. I have the utmost respect for our LEO's but this man's actions are not just.... IMO. I myself was a LEO/Fire Marshall for a good number of years. I never used my badge to "hassle" people. Even if this guy was correct in pulling me over a simple warning would have done the trick..I simply screwed up and forgot and I wasn't doing any harm...I told him he could check trailer out...not being smart.
Thanks heaps Rick. Sometimes I can't see the forrest for the trees..

BTW: I was pulled over in Spring Twnshp,Snyder County by Officer E. Smith Badge #1! Have no idea if he was local or State. ? I had just left Beaver Springs Dragway and past Officer Smith coming the opposite direction on Rt. 522..he had a clear view of my windshield/VA inspection sticker/truck and VA plates !! I wasn't speeding or driving wrecklessly. When he pulled me over he had a clear view of my VA trailer tag of which I believe is SOP to call dispatch and advise of stop and give tag #!! While I admit not being correct it did not warrant being stopped in the first place...

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 09-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to poison heart

Are you joking? They don't have prosecutors? That is total BS. I'm staying away from PA

1959 Star Chief 4 Dr HT dual quad 389 4 speed
1962 Pontiac Plain Jane Catalina

http://pontiac-59.com/