Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rug-the wifey is usually yelling at me for some reason so maybe once a week.No not really-she hasn't said much about the odor. 20yrs ago she hit on me evryday about the smell and wanted to give me 'tomato juice bath' as my pores smelled like garlic. There are garlic pills to take but i just read an article about getting the full benefit the pill must exit the stomach then be dissolved- roughly explained.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Up date on my wife

We have tryed about every thing that has been posted, She went to a new doc today, And they put another hose in her nose with a monorter on it, for 24 hrs, She has to write down when she eats and what time when she feels the AR comeing on when the burps or pas gas,She cried while they put that hose up her nose, I will let you all know when i get more info, Thanks my friends

Old 12-10-2009, 05:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

my brother had ar since he was a kid, now 37 and a few years back he had a stuffed pepper and went to bed, woke up puking acid all over the place and went into the hospital, they did a scope on him upper and yep lower too. he had diverticulitous down low and a severley eroded esophegous. the lower part was maintanable by diet not to severe but after taking every ar pill there was. told he needed surgery to fix it or could turn to cancer. he fixed it changed his diet and seems be doing just fine nowadays...

a guy going in for the same surgery the same day not so lucky he was also having some work done in his stomach area and apperently it didnt show up in other test but when cut open they found he had cancer which inturn spread like wild fire once opened up and died within 36 hours.

not to scare nobody with the cancer bit but id never thought that could lead to cancer......infact i have an ulcer in my stomach they say could turn if not kept under control

Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 PM

It may have been mentioned earlier, but propping the head of your bed up 4-5" sometimes helps with the nightime symptoms.

Kurt

Old 12-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just turned 40, and scheduled my colonoscopy, they are going to do the esophogus (sp) at the same time, to make sure there is no more damage.
Between the pickle a day, the aciphex, and watching what I eat, I can go 28 out of 31 day's a month with no burning.
Elevating the bed is also a good idea as Kurt said.

What time of day do you all take your pills?

Old 12-11-2009, 02:25 PM

I take 1 aciphex, once a day at dinner time. I can eat anything that is put in front of me and I have zero acid reflux 31 days a month.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The worst problem I had was when my sinus's were really inflamed and I couldn't breath at night except through my mouth. I woke up and felt I wasn't breathing ran to the open window and gasped for air.This happened 3 times went to the doctor's he said it was acid reflux at night the esophagus. closed off to prevent the acid from reaching my mouth,cutting off my air. I changed my diet and worked on the sinus problems I do not want that 'feeling' again ever.The sinus' s are under control and the acid reflux triggers.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Reflux? Been there, done that. Bad thing about killing off all stomach acid is that bad bacteria in the gut are not killed off by the acid. The food doesn`t break down fast enough or not at all because of no acid. Most of you should be taking a good probiotic along with your pills.

http://www.probioticsforlife.info/10201/957.html

http://www.probioticsforlife.info/25701.html

Old 12-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffP View Post
I take 1 aciphex, once a day at dinner time. I can eat anything that is put in front of me and I have zero acid reflux 31 days a month.
See my bottle say's to take in morning 1/2 hour before eating. I wonder if the pill wears off by dinner time, which is usually the biggest meal anyway.
Gonna try switching up for a while.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Senior Chief

I've had AR for 40 years. Tried all kinds of remedies. Had to quit drinking coke when I was 20. When I aquired the taste for beer I had a real problem. Always carried a bottle of rolaids or tums with me. About 15 years ago I got so about everything I ate would make me misrable, even using 2 pillows. I spent many a night sleeping in my recliner. Went to the doc, and we tried many of the scrip drugs. Finally got on protronix, that did the trick for me. Hello pasta, chillie, lemonade, oringe juice, and COKE. A couple years ago my insurance company said no more protronix, too expensive. I almost cried, even sent my doc a letter to put me on prilosec otc. No way. There is a generic for protronix, it's called pantoprazole. It works almost as well. The bad thing is I've gained 50 lbs in the last 10 years. Quitting smoking didn't help either. I must take 1 40 mg tablet daily, but still keep my tums, just in case. I also try eating around 5:30 pm. It does make a differance.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Chief

The little purple pill works for me. Had all the usual symptoms. Got to the point where OTC stuff didnt help. Doc put me on Nexium. I swear it was amazing. All the crap I had been struggling with for 5 years was instantly gone. I am supposed to take it once a day but i have found that everyother day works great for me.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default up date

My wife went back to the doc this week and was tould it was stress, Wrote her a scrip for zoloff. He said there were many people come in saying it was AR. that monortor did not show any signs of it. Wo in to doctors and lawers as the good book says, Only more money.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GA View Post
I've had AR for 40 years. Tried all kinds of remedies. Had to quit drinking coke when I was 20. When I aquired the taste for beer I had a real problem. Always carried a bottle of rolaids or tums with me. About 15 years ago I got so about everything I ate would make me misrable, even using 2 pillows. I spent many a night sleeping in my recliner. Went to the doc, and we tried many of the scrip drugs. Finally got on protronix, that did the trick for me. Hello pasta, chillie, lemonade, oringe juice, and COKE. A couple years ago my insurance company said no more protronix, too expensive. I almost cried, even sent my doc a letter to put me on prilosec otc. No way. There is a generic for protronix, it's called pantoprazole. It works almost as well. The bad thing is I've gained 50 lbs in the last 10 years. Quitting smoking didn't help either. I must take 1 40 mg tablet daily, but still keep my tums, just in case. I also try eating around 5:30 pm. It does make a differance.
My insurance company is cutting off my Aciphex on Jan 1. I have a scrip for pantoprazole. As a last shot I'm going to call Monday to get one last scrip for Aciphex for 90 days and get it refilled before the dead line.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have had GERD or Acid Reflux for a long time. I was taking NEXIUM but my insurance stopped paying. I now take prescription OMEPRAZOLE. If you have vomit coming up your throat wher you lie flat, you probably have a HIATAL HERNIA. This means that the "valve" at the top of the stomach dosen't seal properly. This allows the stomach contents to flow up the throat when you are in certain positions. This can cause the acid reflux and other symptoms. did your wife have a procedure called an ENDOSCOPY ? This is a procedure during which you are sedated and a camera is inserted into your throat, and down into your stomach. I have had several and they don't hurt. You have to fast for 24 hrs first...This is a very treatable condition. Maybe she has a PEPTIC ULCER...also treatable. GOOD LUCK TO YOU. Eric

Old 01-01-2010, 03:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC AULL View Post
I have had GERD or Acid Reflux for a long time. I was taking NEXIUM but my insurance stopped paying. I now take prescription OMEPRAZOLE. If you have vomit coming up your throat wher you lie flat, you probably have a HIATAL HERNIA. This means that the "valve" at the top of the stomach dosen't seal properly. This allows the stomach contents to flow up the throat when you are in certain positions. This can cause the acid reflux and other symptoms. did your wife have a procedure called an ENDOSCOPY ? This is a procedure during which you are sedated and a camera is inserted into your throat, and down into your stomach. I have had several and they don't hurt. You have to fast for 24 hrs first...This is a very treatable condition. Maybe she has a PEPTIC ULCER...also treatable. GOOD LUCK TO YOU. Eric
Yes eric read all of this thread, TKS for the info, Happy new years I hope that it will be beter than last year.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just read this thread....I had a bad A.R. attack last night....after NYE party..Hmmmmm
Throat still burns yet today......I haven't had a A.R. attack for a long time!
Just remembered I ran out of Protinix three days ago with no refills left..Guess it helped after all but it was given to me for general gastric problems while having my C treatments(BCG) as it would go wacky ...Guess it helped in other ways....
I will call ASAP for new refill order...

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

smoking is a HUGE contributor too....FWIW

Old 03-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz68 View Post
We have tryed about every thing that has been posted, She went to a new doc today, And they put another hose in her nose with a monorter on it, for 24 hrs, She has to write down when she eats and what time when she feels the AR comeing on when the burps or pas gas,She cried while they put that hose up her nose, I will let you all know when i get more info, Thanks my friends
I had this for my acid reflux and the dumb nurse didnt check and measure the distance before she took it out. So I wore that F ing thing for 24 hrs for nothing!

They wanted to do it again I told them to go screw!

As for lemon juice working guess it would depend on your cause. maybe in a instance with H pylori it might help? who knows.

I know I tried it all, Aciphex, prilosec, prevacid, ranatadine and nothing worked until I found nexium. that fixed me right up. I also occasionally use Carafate wich helps alot.

every once in a while I go off the nexium for a few days to help me absorb calcium because it can make your bones week due to it blocking its absorption. ALL PPI's cause this so be careful.

When I do go off it. I cant hardly make it through the day.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8 View Post
My insurance company is cutting off my Aciphex on Jan 1. I have a scrip for pantoprazole. As a last shot I'm going to call Monday to get one last scrip for Aciphex for 90 days and get it refilled before the dead line.
How can your insurance take you off nexium?

If your doctor can show you tried the rest and it didnt work they cannot deny you the medication ulnless you change or lapse coverage. Then they can say its a pre exsisting condition I beleive.
Id be screwed if they tookmy nexium its all that worked for me.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 03-20-2010, 02:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
How can your insurance take you off nexium?

If your doctor can show you tried the rest and it didnt work they cannot deny you the medication ulnless you change or lapse coverage. Then they can say its a pre exsisting condition I beleive.
Id be screwed if they tookmy nexium its all that worked for me.
No insurance Our governer has cut out health care, And as you know the meds are Not cheep.