Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks again, those sources are going into my favorites.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another question.

Concerning barrel/Bolt/Headspace. So ... if I buy a bolt carrier group that comes with the bolt, and buy a barrel, how likely is that the headspace will be within spec? I see very few places selling (non-match grade) barrel and bolt combos with the headspace already checked.

If I get a barrel and the headspace is faulty on bolt or barrel ... what are my options? Keep buying bolts till one fits correctly? assuming it's the barrel in error .. send it back? Have a gunsmith look at it?

Should I get go/no gauges?

How often does one find an out of spec headspace on new, decent quality bolts and barrels?
Thanks

Old 04-27-2017, 10:06 AM
Senior Chief

Take a look here:

https://ar15tactical.net/ar15_headspace.htm

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...0&action=click

hope this helps, bt

Old 04-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lots of info there, thank you.

I actually watched that video a couple of days ago. Very helpful.

Almost tempted to make my own gauges ... I have more time than money

Old 04-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Senior Chief

Nothing wrong with making your own.

I have a Eagle Arms AR15 with 1:9 twist 20" heavy barrel A2 sights and carry handle. I wanted a service grade close to what I carried in the military. It has met my needs very well .

Lately I have been thinking about getting a AR10, the .308 is attractive.

bt

Old 04-29-2017, 11:11 AM
Senior Chief

Default another supplier

http://www.del-ton.com/ My buddy bought a upper from them for his SBR build

Old 04-29-2017, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Has anyone done a gas-piston conversion to their AR? Since I haven't bought the bolt carrier/bolt, gas block etc. yet ... I could save half the price of a gas-piston system because I'd have to buy those parts anyway. They run about $300. A decent bolt/carrier/gas block will easily cost half of that.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok question. With an 80% lower it is presumably un serialized. How does one make it a legal weapon?
Complete lowers are, but not 80s. That's why they sell them.
Steve

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 04-30-2017, 01:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

80% lowers are not considered a firearm when purchased. But after machining to 100% they are considered a full firearm. Ownership is totally legal (from a federal perspective) for private personal use. You can not manufacture with the intent to sell or distribute without licensing to be a manufacturer.

State laws about making your own can vary. I've heard some people say that a home-made lower is ok to sell privately if you engrave it with a serial number. But considering that 80% lowers are fairly cheap, I would just as soon strip it of the upper and all parts, transfer those to a legal $50-60 serialized lower, and then just put my non-serialized lower away. Too much gray area to step into for such a cheap price.

I've done some 80%'ers, specifically some polymers. I am running one on a 16" 5.56 1:8 twist, A3 upper, 13" free float keymod handguard with top rail. That guns runs with no probs after several hundred rounds. That build was from a total collection of parts: barrel, 80% lower, LPK, stripped upper, UPK, bolt, etc.

I did a 9mm AR (8.5") on a polymer 80 lower, and broke it right through the rear takedown pin hole after 300 or so rounds. I would never do another polymer lower on a 9mm build. The bolt is heavy, and I don't think the polymer lowers can hack it.

After all of the BS I went through I decided that future builds would just use pre-made lowers. I did it mainly to see what all the buzz was about, and to see if I could do it. But I live in AZ. As a CCW holder it takes me longer to fill out the paperwork than it does to get approved for the background check.

My first build was a Del-Ton 16" heavy barrel kit, mid length, 1:9 twist, with A2 front sight. I love it, but it is a little weighty compared to my last build with the free-float keymod handguard and low profile gas block.

I won't go with anything less than a mid-length. I am tall, so the ability to grip farther forward is more comfortable.

I've done pre-assembled upper builds, and done it from completely disassembled. Now I can say I have done it. In the future I would probably just buy a pre-assembled upper that somewhat closely fit my desires, put together a manufactured stripped lower with desired LPK, and accessorize as needed with handguard and optics.

All of my friends tend to over-buy on guns they rarely shoot. They get jewelry that goes bang: exotic cerakoting, fluted barrels, skeletonized components, side charging uppers, etc. It's cool stuff, but I would rather build 4 workhorses for the price of one of their exotics. To each their own. My next 3 AR builds will be a 5.56 pistol, a 16" 9mm AR rifle (Colt or Glock, I haven't decided), and a 20" carry handle triangle handguard old school tribute. And then I think I will be done with AR's.

I've used parts from CTD, PSA, Midway, Brownell's, and Daytona Tactical. No complaints from any of it.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Same here, the 80% lower was more for the experiment. In NY it's legal if I don't take off my property and I can't sell it or transfer it. I can, anytime I want, buy a serialized complete lower and do the paperwork. If I like it, that's what I'll do. An hours work to change over from the 80%.

Only advantage I see to a pre assembled upper is you don't have to buy some of the tools and the head space is already verified. Depends on your capabilities what is best for you. I'm building what is basically a semi-auto varmint rifle to use some of the 2000 rds of .223 I already have .... to be honest I'll most likely never put 500 rds through the rifle before I croak.

They are an interesting weapon, and so far, fun to assemble and build into what you want. Not really into the specialized coatings, markings, engravings and bling. Just want a reliable, accurate rifle to use the ammo I have.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PS. And of course I want to be prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse. But that goes without saying.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://gun.deals/
This is a great site to find up to date deals. One caution once you build one you will not be able to stop. Classic firearms also has some good deals on barrels from time to time and palmetto state is like a one stop shop. For 1000 dollars you should be able to build an excellent shooting gun. Make sure to get the proper tools for assemby. Vise blocks, ar wrench, good set of punches etc. You will also find that ammo accuracy is all over the map. Your best accuracy will come from developing a hand load that your gun likes.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another step in my very slow AR15 build.

I was just reading an article about the Canadian sniper just shattered the world record with a 3,400 meter shot. Was reading about his firearm, a McMilan 50 cal. Noticed it was using a Lilja barrel. On a lark I checked out the website, ended up buying a barrel they have discontinued, a 23" chrome moly, unlined, unthreaded, 1:8, heavy barrel contour, target crowned unit on clearance for $200. Seemed like a good deal on a quality US made barrel. Already head spaced for a mil-spec bolt, in Wylde .223.

Anyway, downside is it's unfinished. I'm not particular about looks, but I'd like to finish it in some fashion, preferably not one of the paint type finishes. What are my options for doing it myself? Blueing? Blacking? Nitride, Phospate? What about sending it out ... typical price for having it finished in some way?

Thanks,

Old 06-22-2017, 11:38 AM

Accurateshooter.com has lots of details. ARs are very accurate rifles. The 5.56/.223 round will run out of steam around 800-900 yards out of an AR though, even with 75+ gr bullets.

I'd look at cerakoting for that tube if I were you. Skip immersion type phos coatings as the bore is already finished.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you. I was wondering how barrel finishing handles the bore ... wasn't sure if they plugged them or something.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Shortly I will have before and after photos of the Lilje barrel Parkerizing. I've welded up a stainless steel trough to do the dipping.

Anyone know were to get a REAL mil-spec, government issue armorers wrench for the AR15/M16?

Old 07-11-2017, 02:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some photos of the barrel after Parkerizing.

It matches the Colt barrel nut absolutely perfectly, but is lighter than the aftermarket upper and lower. In one picture you can see what the barrel originally looked like where I masked off the gas port.

Used a product from Lauer Weaponry ... but I suspect that most all the Mag Phosphate mixes are the same, or very close. Took an hour or so using a SS trough I welded up. If you make a trough, make it about 2.5" wide, that's all you need. Mine was about 4" wide, 26" long ... and I had to tilt it to get the five pints of mixture to cover the barrel nicely. Set it on top of a two burner electric hot plate, let it heat to about 180, threw in a pad of steel wool for 30 minutes, pulled it out, put in the barrel for 15 minutes. Removed, rinsed with water, then WD-40 a couple of times, then a couple of applications of Boeing bio-shield. It's not as dark as in the photos, but pretty much identical to govt. issue dark gray Parkerizing.

Pretty happy with the results ... can now use the mixture over again to Parkerize GTO parts.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barrel-1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	458521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Barrel-2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	458522  

Old 07-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 21 year old built one last Christmas simply by doing a good bit of reading, identifying what he wanted it to do and how much he wanted to spend and then picking out a supplier he had read good reviews on. He did get whatever part the government considers "the gun" locally, with the rest of it showing up off the big brown truck in boxes. It's a hoot to shoot and he had waaaay more fun than the law allows doing it himself.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, same here. Enjoying the process. Long as the parts are reasonable quality it seems pretty straightforward. Would have been difficult without all the information on the Internet.
Gives you much more insight into how the weapon works rather than buying the first one off the shelf.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was just checking back to see how this one was going. Nice!

Question: What is the purpose of the 15 minute steel wool dunk?

I love AR's. But lately I've drifted into milsurp rifles with wood stocks. My son turned 15 last January, and he wanted a K98 Mauser. Since the actual German Mausers carried a premium that took it out of price feasibility for a 15 year old's first rifle, I went with a Yugo M24/47. Talk about a man-gun with a manly round! 8mm, 196 grain bullets. The boy broke out in a quiet giggle the first time he pulled the trigger with a big boom. I want a Garand for the collection someday.

But I have more AR's in my future since they are like really cool Lego sets. Do you have big plans with accessorizing? Will you do a free float handguard, or put on delta rings for an old school groove? I gotta say, after playing with both ends of the sighting spectrum from fixed front sight to flip ups, I like running an F-marked triangle front site, a compact rear fixed sight, and co-witness with a dot scope. Sounds like you have longer distance aspirations, so I will guess you will have some magnification, and maybe no irons at all?

Keep it up!