67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-18-2024, 04:57 PM

Default upper ram air foam seal install

know you guys are the foremost authority on all Pontiacs so I thought I would come straight to you with a simple question. I have a 69 TA with the ram air set up as they all did. After several years the upper foam seal has disintegrated to the point where it needs replaced. I bought what I think is the correct seal from Ames but it doesn't look like the one that came off . My question is, is there a secret in trying to keep the seal in place as I try to install the seal? I do not utilize the actuators, just the pan and seal. Glue in spots on base plate or upper hood?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-19-2024, 04:39 PM

I'm curious myself, as I'm about at that point in the build. Figuring on applying some spray adhesive on the foam side that will rest on the pan, then mount it on the hood, but not sure.
If I find any info on it, I'll post.

Old 08-20-2024, 01:35 PM
Senior Chief

When I replaced my non-T/A upper seal, I found it easier to apply a light film of contact cement to the foam and secure it to the pan. I strongly urge that you consider gluing it in sections and dry fit as you go along in case you don’t have clear position points on the pan to follow. It can be a chore to bolt it back up the first time as the foam will be ’tall and firm’ when new. BTW, the T/A upper foam seal is a unique part and differs from the non-T/A version. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2024, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the advice, sounds like thats the way to go. The foam seal is a bit unique in its shape. Looks like my next free day this will be the way to go.

Old 08-26-2024, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I actually have never had the RA on my car but I’d think a 3m headliner adhesive spray might be a good way to do it with just light mist sprayed on the foam so it holds but isn’t impossible to remove. But that’s just my thoughts on what I’d do

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 08-26-2024, 09:43 PM

Good thoughts and thats what I will be doing, thanks for the input.

Old 09-10-2024, 02:27 PM

3 M adhesive spray worked well after a few test fits. Was an adventure for sure!

Old 09-10-2024, 05:14 PM

Good to know. Thanks.