Old 05-16-2018, 12:04 PM

Default Lemans just dies randomly

It's pretty scary so I quit driving it. I did some troubleshooting and while at it replaced the blinker harness since the hazard button wouldn't stay engaged (scarier). When I finished I tested blinkers, etc. but didn't try to start it until the next weekend. Dead no lights no click or cranking. Thought maybe I screwed up something with the ignition switch but found the fairly new Battery was dead.

Long story short, the POS O'reily alternator (2-300 mi) was drawing with the key off (36 mA, 6K ohms resistance). The car always cranked good and didn't seem to be loosing power so I assume it charged when driving, but could the alternator have been causing it to die. When it did cut off, 90% of the time it would fire right back up. Couple time took 2-3 tries.

Anyone have a similar problem ? Thanks

Neil

Old 05-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If - even some of the time - it starts right up again after it dies, I'd suspect an ignition problem. HEI distributor?

Old 05-16-2018, 02:03 PM

Distributor was replaced (due) still dies.
New ignition Switch and Neutral S.Sw when replaced column. (to floor shift) I guess they could be defective.

I just wondered if someone had a bad alternator that resulted in similar symptoms. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Suspended

What kind of distributor? What kind of fuel pump? If the alternator was bad it would be running off the battery and therefore would not restart.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll assume you meant a DUI distributor. (HEI).

What does your wiring look like? How about your grounds? When it has refused to start for you, have you checked for spark and checked for fuel?

Old 05-17-2018, 05:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is going to be difficult to find the cause. It may not even be ign! To rule ign in or out, run a jumper direct from bat +ve terminal to the coil/dist. If it proves reliable, then the problem is in the wiring. Report back.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have HEI, it grounds through the dist clamp to the block. If you have missing grounds elsewhere, it will make no difference, the HEI will still work.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
could the alternator have been causing it to die. When it did cut off, 90% of the time it would fire right back up. Couple time took 2-3 tries.
Th alternator could, but would think you would be having other problems also.

Probably need lot more info, especially when doing over internet.
(what conditions are happening when it does it)

What I would check 1st is the wiring loom from the alternator to the firewall.
Possibly there is a loose crimp/solder connection where it joins other wires. Or a corroded wire inside the insulation.
Then try with the alternator disconnected and see if it happens?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-17-2018, 12:10 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated.
HEI distributor and new M&H engine harness. I was lucky and watching the fuel gauge when it died 1 time - 7.5 psi constant. Has a regulator and low miles filter. The interior had rust from floorboard damage but they were replaced. The dash harness does not look good nor the fuse panel - dirty, somewhat corroded so needs to be replaced. I got a 63A Remy alternator coming so that's the next step. I'll let you guys know what happens. I'll try the hot wire on the HEI as well. Just need to be sure to be able to shut it off when the throttle sticks wide open.

Thanks a lot.

Neil

Old 05-17-2018, 01:30 PM
Suspended

I figured it had an HEI

Bad module in the distributor or the coil on top. Both get affected by heat and fail. That, along with several other reasons, are why HEI is a bad idea today. MSD is a much better solution.