Old 02-26-2010, 11:08 PM

Location: sm. mt. lake, VA - - between roanoke and lynchburg, VA
Default "Another" what do you think 65 GTO

hi guys -

i am back with another GTO to think about.

this one was in the classified in "The Legend" in January.

it can bee seen at autabuy.com - item number 406319 (be careful of the spelling autAbuy.com)

the problem with this one is that is up in devils lake, ND.

i'm would not think that there are any gtoaa members or any of you guys out in that area of the country.

also, i would think that being it is a small town, it would have a hard time finding someone unbiased to evaulate it.

i checked on the internet and found a local chevy dealership, a firestone dealer, an exhaust company and some insurance agents.

short of just getting on the phone and just start calling, does anyone have any ideas or know anyone up in that area?

and also, if you look at the website - anything that sticks out immediately to your trained eyes?

he has the PHS documentation - we went over it space by space and he also has the original window sticker. (but i know that there is still a lot of room to "maneuver" within that paperwork)

btw - the price in the magazine was lower than what it was on the net.

thanks again

gil

Old 02-26-2010, 11:13 PM

Default trying to add pics of gto in ND

hi guys - i wasnt successful in attaching pics before - lets see if this time is the charm

gil

Click image for larger version

Name:	ND front.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	198483

Name:	ND gto-side.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	198484

Name:	ND-eng.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	198485

Old 02-26-2010, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks sweet. I think you've found a very nice 65.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just by looking at the pictures, several things tell me that it is probably overpriced. Most of those are just quality of restoration. The ad leaves a lot untold information. It is PHS documented, but of what? Just a GTO or a tri power, 4 speed GTO in reef turq. with a white top, ralley I's and all the options as presented? Does it have the original engine, tranny, and rear end? All these things effect value. This one definitely needs to be looked at by a knowledgeable GTO guy.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 02-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.autabuy.com/Gallery/?ID=4...%20CONVERTIBLE

Road Trip! You would surely want to take a look at it or have someone look at it for you. Gil, what listed on the PHS does not match what on the car if anything? It's hard to read the PHS from the pics on that web-site. Also, that looks like a repo window sticker, not an original. You can order those from PHS. Nice looking car, just need more info.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:23 AM

Default follow-up to responses

thanks for the responses so far

here are some answers and more questions (remember i am new to this)

1a. i am not sure i would be knowledgeable to evaluate a car at this time (and maybe long into the future)

1b. maybe if i was standing beside the car and someone on the phone spends a long time with me and gives me step-by-step instructions on where to look and what to expect (ie - are there prevelant areas that are prone to rust?)

2. i was hoping to find a "gto guy" somewhere close to the car in ND

3. i understand how what is on the car may or may not match what is actually on the car, and that the PHS can be forged, but once you find the numbers that are stamped on everything (and how many things are stamped?), is there somewhere that has all the listing of the correct numbers? (and actually i have to go back to the thread that was dealing with the burgundy and parchment car in ohio that i was asking questions about earlier)

4. as far as original things - i think this is a list of the things that were added - tri-power, console, PB, rally wheels, spare tire cover, fan shroud.

5. and from my posts in the past - i am not a real stickler for a car that has to match-up completely to the original car - but if things arent there, i want to pay a correct price for what is, plus have something that is reliable to drive.

thanks again guys -

gil

Old 02-27-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Just by looking at the pictures, several things tell me that it is probably overpriced. Most of those are just quality of restoration. The ad leaves a lot untold information. It is PHS documented, but of what? Just a GTO or a tri power, 4 speed GTO in reef turq. with a white top, ralley I's and all the options as presented? Does it have the original engine, tranny, and rear end? All these things effect value. This one definitely needs to be looked at by a knowledgeable GTO guy.
TO ANSWER SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS

A GTO, 4 BARREL, 4 SP, CORRECT PAINT AND TOP COLORS, WRONG INTERIOR COLOR.

NEED TO CK ON ENGINE AND REAR END, NEW TRANS

THINGS ADDED - PB, CONSOLE, TRIPOWER, RALLY WHEELS SPARE TIRE COVER, FAN SHROUD

**UNFORTUNATELY I THINK AN EVALUATION BY A GTO GUY IS OUT OF THE QUESTION UP IN THAT AREA OF THE COUNTRY - UNLESS SOMEONE HAS ANY IDEAS?

Old 02-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is very hard to tell much from those pictures. And it may be a great mechanical car, and exactly what you are looking far. However, it looks to be a paint job and a 'quickie' restoration to me. When you look at the picture of the engine compartment, someone has painted black part way up on the side of the fenders. That tells you that the fenders weren't taken off the car when the car was painted. Also the car has the wrong radiator, the outlet at the top is on the drivers side instead of the passengers side as it should be. Looks like they put the wrong size tires on it also. They look to be 70 series tires instead of 7.75 tires. The metal on the top on the doors above the door panels is painted black; it should be parchment to match the door panels.

Those are just the obvious things that I noticed. Again, with those things incorrect, it makes me wonder what other things have been done wrong or not done at all. My thinking is that it is priced 10-15k to high, depending on whether it has the original WT engine or not.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT