Old 06-24-2017, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had an exact opposite experience years ago in the early days of eBay. I bid on and won a lemans that had every piece of a gto conversion but the emblems and the hood. The guy never misrepresented it and always said it was a lemans but it had 389 4 speed saf t track console vacuum gauge and wood wheel. That was the best Pontiac I ever owned and I could kick my own ass for selling it. It was a gto in everything but name

Old 06-24-2017, 07:57 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
I just noticed the location of the car is just a few miles from my house. I also know the machine shop he said did the engine work. I would definitely not use them, but apparently it is still running. I'm surprised I haven't seen the car at our Friday evening cruise-in. Overall, the car seems pretty nice.
I was going to PM you Jim and ask if you knew the car or machine shop.
Thanks for saving me some typing. Hope you and yours are well. Some nice Michigan weather days here lately.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I doubt he ever was fooled himself.

The VIN is in the auction. It was a May or so build from Fremont.

The VIN proves that it was a V8 build all along. And also proves it was a 22 Model Series Lemans.

And the 2 dr. Hardtop was only available as a Lemans in '64, so don't really need the VIN to know that it was never "just a Tempest", not that I would ever feel that way about a '64 Tempest anyway..

If the bids are legit, I'm surprised it has been bid to over $20K. Makes me feel better about the money I've been spending on my '64 GTO convert.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pretty nice car. The BS is laughable though.....

Old 06-24-2017, 10:34 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
I doubt he ever was fooled himself.

The VIN is in the auction. It was a May or so build from Fremont.

The VIN proves that it was a V8 build all along. And also proves it was a 22 Model Series Lemans.

And the 2 dr. Hardtop was only available as a Lemans in '64, so don't really need the VIN to know that it was never "just a Tempest", not that I would ever feel that way about a '64 Tempest anyway..

If the bids are legit, I'm surprised it has been bid to over $20K. Makes me feel better about the money I've been spending on my '64 GTO convert.
YEP!

Maybe we need to hang on to the stuff a bit longer John (;>) but he did have some nice changes to the car and I liked the paint color and the wheels.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The average GM worker could have made $6000 + In 1964. I made $5500 and was on strike 5 weeks.
There were a couple Goats on the parking lot.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 06-25-2017, 04:56 PM
Senior Chief

Picture 3 clearly shows a repo rear quarter skin so some work has been done to the body.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P. View Post
Picture 3 clearly shows a repo rear quarter skin so some work has been done to the body.
Just out of curiosity- how can you tell?

Old 06-25-2017, 08:39 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Just out of curiosity- how can you tell?
Looking at the back bottom area. The inside lip extends far down and in. It does not match the polished trim. Because of the way this panel is stamped, it is hard to fix, even before paint. On an original quarter the fit in this area is not perfect but it is close to matching the polished wheel well trim. It can even be a challenge to install the trim at all. This is why you sometimes see fresh painted cars for sale with out the wheel well trim installed.