Old 09-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontirag View Post
65's came off the line with 64 parts fo some time after the model year change over. Its not so uncommon that you would suspect the authenticity. My 65 was built at fremont in the first week of december and it had lots of 64 parts on it. Sometimes when there is a strike between model years there is a greater likelyhood that left over parts will be used to bring production back up to speed.
Good point. There absolutely was a UAW strike in September 1964 which affected 1965 model year production.

Can you give us some more detail about which '64 components were installed on your Fremont car?

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 09-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry Jim, I was thinking of Eric's book,p.15 in the 65 section.4=car in primer.

I apologize for getting the wrong reference.At least I was thinking about you.How are things? Larry

Old 09-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Mornin' Jim -

Here is the trim tag for the '66 GP that Larry (bigpop) mentioned.

Has anyone seen a designation like this before?

K

I've seen a ton, but that's a new one on me!

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 09-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Larry, I don't think Jim was questioning your post.

The original post that started this thread was from Dantera, back in 2004. He was the one that claimed somebody he thought named Jim called from PHS and told him "S" might have meant primer.

So maybe Jim is questioning what Dan claimed to have been told by PHS when he posted 5 years ago!

As far as the possibility that Pontiac produced car(s) that were in primer only and that those had a paint code "4" as Eric's book shows, that still remains possible in my mind. As I stated before, I just wouldn't count on ALL plants having assigned that same code for Primer.

And here is an example for just such a thing. Wish I had a clearer pic, or better yet, could see the Data Plate in person. Wonder what was "coded" next to Paint? Looks like maybe something was coded, then maybe obliterated? Could it have shown FF?

Keith, I have seen this type of designation before, referring to what looks like 867-97589.

I have seen similar nos. on Data Plates, in particular, I believe this was discussed at PY for at least one '68 that was apparently special ordered in the Carnival Red Spring Color. For sure, 3 of the 4 '68 Spring Colors show code nos. similar to this (two have an 868 prefix, one has a 927 prefix) as identified in the announcement of those colors.

I have a PHS document for a couple '64 Pontiacs that were Special Ordered in '64 Cadillac Nile Green. The Manifest shows "Nile Green 867-96838".

I do NOT know exactly how these codes worked, but for '66, what Pontiac called Cadet Blue, and was Chevy Marina Blue and Buick Blue Mist, was Dupont Dulux code 181-97589.

Dulux was an enamel paint, such as used on wheels, the 181 prefix identifies the enamel version of this color from what I tell.

I suspect the 867 prefix would identify the acrylic lacquer (Lucite) version of this color. This is NOT the Dupont code that you will find in the MPC for example.

The MPC code is what Dupont referred to as their "Stock" code. The 867-97589 was the Dupont Order No. for this color.

So apparently, GM Code F, Dupont Lucite Stock No. 4704-L, was ordered by the Dupont Order No. 867-97589.

This is my interpretation of what is on the Data Plate. Still surprised it was not identified by the GM code F, but since F was not on the regular Pontiac Color Palette, perhaps they felt it best to identify the color by the Dupont Order No. since when refinishing, the body shop might not have thought to check the Buick or Chevy color palletes to see what Code F might have meant. Obviously, this was a different decision than was made in Kansas City to identify the code "S" paint for the '65 that started this thread.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, I sent you a PM. I already sent Jim an apology,everything is cool. Larry

Old 09-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
I've seen a ton, but that's a new one on me!
It looks like "&&" is stamped next to PAINT on the Data Plate above.

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus31 View Post
It looks like "&&" is stamped next to PAINT on the Data Plate above.
Yes you are correct. And that being the case I have seen that before, on a Tiger Gold 65 GTO.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I EMed the owner,David,for a clearer picture.Hesais it wouldn't come out much more favorably,because of the glare,etc. of the black paint.

He said it is a double ampersand as Rexus and Jerry surmised.I think there is a better way to stamp an ampersand!!! Still looks like a raspberry to me. Larry

Old 09-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpop View Post
I EMed the owner,David,for a clearer picture.Hesais it wouldn't come out much more favorably,because of the glare,etc. of the black paint.

He said it is a double ampersand as Rexus and Jerry surmised.I think there is a better way to stamp an ampersand!!! Still looks like a raspberry to me. Larry
It looks clear to me in the pic.

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 09-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You gotta remember about Larry's bad eye!