Old 01-04-2005, 11:14 AM

First post and extremely new to this line. I have my eyes on a 64 LeMans convertible. Not for sale but covered in dust with sixty-something thousand miles on it.
It may not run and it has some rust. The owner may not even part with it. But it got me wondering the difference between the lines.
Thanks,
Steve

Old 01-04-2005, 11:14 AM

First post and extremely new to this line. I have my eyes on a 64 LeMans convertible. Not for sale but covered in dust with sixty-something thousand miles on it.
It may not run and it has some rust. The owner may not even part with it. But it got me wondering the difference between the lines.
Thanks,
Steve

Old 01-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Suspended

hood, emblems, interior, engines, for starters

Old 01-04-2005, 03:24 PM

So just options ...or is it a matter of correcting someone who has a GTO? Did GTO ever have a convertible model or was the LeMans considered a luxury model while the GTO was more performace based? I know with Chevelle's alot of people have issues with calling their malibu a chevelle even thought options we basically the difference and even the Chevelle's had options added to basically create a rare car like the SS 454.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is less difference between the LeMans and the GTO than with the Tempest. The Tempest uses different body trim including tail lights. The LeMans and GTO have the same interior except for emblems. This is do to the fact that in 1964 (and 1965) the GTO was an option package on the LEmans.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Convertible GTOs were available in '64. Do a search for "clone" on these forums for some opinions on that issue. One thing that is different in the Pontiac v.s Chevy world regarding clones is the availability of PHS documents to find out whether your car was originally equipped with the GTO option.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Boost Engineer

Welcome to the Board!

Quote:

"Did GTO ever have a convertible model or was the LeMans considered a luxury model while the GTO was more performace based?"

I own a 1964 Lemans convertible with the GTO option. Bought it many many years ago and still have it.

The LeMans WAS an upgrade over the Tempest.

The GTO was a performance option "382" on the LeMans vehicle.

Hardtops, Coupes, and Converts were offered but no GTO Wagons. All you see
will be "Owner Built" but I see nothing wrong with that conversion as everyone
knows it is a clone.

Some people are big on the "clone" deal. I have owned a 64 longer than most and I see no issues with building a clone if it makes you happy. People
build plastic body Cobras all the time and there are a few ALUMINUM body
clone Cobra owners who are very happy with their clones.

Do what makes YOU happy with your LeMans. Hell! As Smokey Yunick would say:
"It's only a piece of metal"

JMO!

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:44 PM

Simple and low-cost '64 Tempest rear styling.....

Very different-looking '64 GTO and Lemans rear styling.....the only real difference between the GTO and Lemans being the trunk emblem. Tail lights and ribbed chrome potmetal rear trim is quite a bit more elaborate and expensive as compared to the grocery-getter Tempest.

Of course up front the GTO received the special hood with scoops (non-functional) and chromed hood scoop ornaments, along with a blacked-out grille w/GTO emblem.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shamner:
Did GTO ever have a convertible model or was the LeMans considered a luxury model while the GTO was more performace based? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, they build 6,644 convertibles.

This one is mine...

As already pointed out, a few cosmetic differences from the LeMans you are contemplating, a handling package, bigger tires, and a 389.

Hope it works out for you to get the LeMans. Better in your hands getting it on the road again than sitting covered in dust!!!

Old 01-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

I'll send you some pics need an address

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but
they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a
status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,
which would include their own government." — George Washington

Old 01-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sham, welcome to the Board. As many have stated, the GTO was just an option on the Lemans in 1964. But what an option! For less than $300 you could go from "family mid-size" to "mean machine!" The differences that I am aware of are:

Hood: The GTO has two raised panels on the hood that contain faux hood scoops whereas the Lemans simply had a smooth hood.

Emblems: GTO emblems were on both rear quarters, decklid, grill and above the glove compartment on the dash. There were also two "6.5 Liter" emblems on each fender behind the front wheel housings. The Lemans, if it was a V-8, had "326" emblems on the front fenders just behind the headlights. Six cylinder Lemans' had no such emblems. Some people have put Lucite grab handle GTO emblems above the glove compartment door, but this is incorrect and came after 1964. The door panel emblems on the 1964 were identical on the Lemans and GTO....special GTO door panel emblems didn't appear until 1965.

Engine: Lemans was available with either a 6 cylinder or a 326 V-8 motor. The 326 came standard with a 2 barrel carb, but was available in an H.O. version with a 4 barrel. The GTO option provided a 389 V-8 four barrel, with an optional tripower setup.

Transmission: Both Lemans and GTO came standard with a three speed manual gearbox. A four speed Muncie or a two speed automatic were available options on both models.

Rearend: No difference in standard equipment. A limited slip differential was available as an option on both models, however, it was more widely installed at the factory on the GTO.

Steering wheel: A sport "wood" wheel was available on both models, but showed up far more often on the GTO and has become associated with that model more as a GTO item. This $47 option sells for well in excess of $600 now on eBay, with pristine models going for over $1200! Man, if I could go back in time!

Tach: Like the steering wheel, an in-dash tachometer was available as an option on the GTO or Lemans; it too showed up far more often on the GTO and thus has become in many minds a "goat option."

Louvers: The Lemans had a series of fake louvers on the front lower portion of both quarter panels, just ahead of the rear wheel wells. The GTO did not have louvers.

Engine compartment trim: The GTO option came with chrome valve covers whereas those on the Lemans were painted. Also available on both models was a chrome air cleaner, although this, too, has become associated with the GTO as its appearance was most often on that model.

Core support: The radiator core support on the GTO differed from that of the Lemans in that it was shaped like a squared off "U" at the bottom, whereas the Lemans' core support was more like an upside down rounded off "U". This allowed the GTO to have a 2 inch taller radiator which allowed for better cooling. This core support also came standard on the Lemans if the car had factory air conditioning. There are some GTO's that have the upside down "U" core support, either from having been replaced at some point or because the factory used what it had available when it put the car together.

I'm pretty sure there were available suspension upgrades, such as boxed rear control arms and heavy duty springs and shocks that were offered on the GTO, but I'll leave that to someone who know more about it than me.

I may be leaving something out, but that, I think, pretty much sums up the differences between the Lemans and the GTO. These cars are great to have, drive and work on because of their simplicity (no smog junk or computers), their aesthetic lines, and the fact that they turn head with both the motor on or off. Grab that 64 if you can get it, cause they ain't makin' no more of them!

Old 01-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some pictures of my 64 Lemans:

Hood has no fake scoops

Picture from the rear

Picture from the side, I left the fake louvres off, in front of the rear wheel, but used the Lemans emblems. (I might clone it in the future, if I find a 389 to rebuild).

Picture of the standard dash, no tach, not the original steering wheel either. But it does have the Muncie 4 speed with console.

Picture of the dash above the glove box.

Converted a tripower to work with a 326. I have chrome valve covers on it now but had the painted ones on when this picture was taken.

These pictures were taken before the rear window and windshield was installed so they don't show the chrome trim around them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	collauge.JPG
Views:	893
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	10544