Old 01-31-2008, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think what they are saying is this:

Where the steering knuckle attaches to the lower control arm: instead of the knuckle sitting on top of the arm, they flipped the ball joint so now the knuckle attaches below the arm. That way as you add spacers the knuckle moves down with respect to the control arm attachment or, from the ground's point of view, the front of the car is raised.

The spacers on the top (visible in the picture) are to gain back some of the travel lost in the "jounce" direction, so that the suspension is not immediately topped out during upward travel.

My car also has ball joint spacers on it (perhaps made from the same batch) but as I say it is to allow more front end lift during acceleration thereby aiding traction.

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Senior Chief

OK, the lower ball joint points down to the ground? There would have to be enough clearance around the outboard end of the lower control arm so it wouldn't hit the steering knuckle/spindle. Think thats possible? Thanks for your help in understanding this. I raised my front end a bit using taller springs and aluminum ball joint spacers but couldn't get anywhere near the lift these guys did.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

JurasicGTO, do you need ALL that much more lift? If not, have you tried loosening your sway bar? Loosen the ends of the links and drill out the front bushings. That will give you some extra lift.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 01-31-2008, 06:12 PM
Senior Chief

Do I need that much more lift? Probably not. Do I want that much more lift? Oh yeah! Front sway bar is gone. Loosened control arm bolts and bushings. My car is much heavier than Unswitchable. Stock front end except for fiberglass bumper, hood and the new plastic grilles.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool stuff Keith! Never heard it explained out before. Always wondered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore
I think what they are saying is this:

Where the steering knuckle attaches to the lower control arm: instead of the knuckle sitting on top of the arm, they flipped the ball joint so now the knuckle attaches below the arm. That way as you add spacers the knuckle moves down with respect to the control arm attachment or, from the ground's point of view, the front of the car is raised.

The spacers on the top (visible in the picture) are to gain back some of the travel lost in the "jounce" direction, so that the suspension is not immediately topped out during upward travel.

My car also has ball joint spacers on it (perhaps made from the same batch) but as I say it is to allow more front end lift during acceleration thereby aiding traction.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6567GTO
Cool stuff Keith! Never heard it explained out before. Always wondered.
You are welcome, although I don't think they are being entirely up front with us in the article.

See the steep angle on the lower control arms when viewed from the front? Mine are much more horizontal, and I don't think you are going to change that without heavier/longer/stiffer front springs. Even though the article says specifically they re-used the stock springs I tend to doubt it.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore

See the steep angle on the lower control arms when viewed from the front? Mine are much more horizontal, and I don't think you are going to change that without heavier/longer/stiffer front springs. Even though the article says specifically they re-used the stock springs I tend to doubt it.

K
Having given this some more thought I am going to retract that statement.

If they took as much weight off the front end as I think they did, plus by moving the rear wheels forward (and shifting more weight rearward) then that front end will come up quite a bit. They probably could re-use the stock springs and get that much lift in conjunction with all the weight removed.

I am, however, NOT going to retract the part about them not being entirely straightforward in other areas. There are a couple items I think are "suspect"...

K

Old 02-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Senior Chief

Looks like they used spacers between the frame and body to get the body higher also.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:13 PM

Thumbs up Lightweight grille

Phil,

You really need to put a Tempest grille in your car.

Bart

Old 02-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually Bart, I have a custom set (made by John Gunther) of GTO grilles that are made out of aluminum sheet metal. They look pretty much like the originals and are light as hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man
Phil,

You really need to put a Tempest grille in your car.

Bart

Old 05-11-2009, 02:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Man it's been a while...

and not much progress. I had to pull the car out of storage after losing the space. So here she is. I need some motivation so kick my arse people. Get me going again.... please!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-11-09.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	168207   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-11-09-2.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	168208   Click image for larger version

Name:	0509091908.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	168209   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-11-09-4.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	168210  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Last time I saw that trailer somebody was camping on it!

Get moving!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

C'mon Phil you've got a the hard stuff done! We've got tto get you back into the Pontiac state of mind- forget about the damn Harley and Mopar. Jim, Chris and myself really are going to have to come down there aren't we.

Musclepalooza is on the 24th up at LVD. If anything is going to get you motivated that'll do it, seeing all of those show cars and the race cars tearing up the track.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 05-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
C'mon Phil you've got a the hard stuff done! We've got tto get you back into the Pontiac state of mind- forget about the damn Harley and Mopar. Jim, Chris and myself really are going to have to come down there aren't we.

Musclepalooza is on the 24th up at LVD. If anything is going to get you motivated that'll do it, seeing all of those show cars and the race cars tearing up the track.
There you go! Get the boy back on track! He's got a little under 3 months to get it ready for Norwalk!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it's time for Jim, Jeremy, and Chris to make a trip to your place for a "Pontiac" intervention to get this thing off ground zero again. Looks great with most of the hard stuff done. Quit chasing the split tail a few nights a week and dedicate it to this project....

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 05-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well....get at it "Scooter Boy"...
What's keeping ya from getting it done..Harleys,MOPARs.or Hmmmmmmm
Just got to share your time...
Hope you get it done soon. Looking good...Should be a thriller ride !!!
Hope to catch up with ya soon Phill..
Don't forget my moto !!

On another note...I was surprised to see the 58 rear in Dick Jesse's car complete with the funky "U" shape upper control arm. I couldn't wait to get that of my 60 !!! Nothing wrong with diff...just that upper control arm..

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..

Last edited by 60man; 05-11-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Having given this some more thought I am going to retract that statement.

If they took as much weight off the front end as I think they did, plus by moving the rear wheels forward (and shifting more weight rearward) then that front end will come up quite a bit. They probably could re-use the stock springs and get that much lift in conjunction with all the weight removed.

I am, however, NOT going to retract the part about them not being entirely straightforward in other areas. There are a couple items I think are "suspect"...

K

Those may be stock springs on Unswitchable but I'lll bet there're Spacers in between the spring and the frame that you can't see. They're probably a 6 cyl spring also, They tend to unload quicker forcing the chassis down on the rear.

That's my guess, there's waaaayyy too much hieght on that chassis for a correct application spring.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6567GTO View Post
and not much progress. I had to pull the car out of storage after losing the space. So here she is. I need some motivation so kick my arse people. Get me going again.... please!!
Although no where near a 'gasser' or as radial as your car, maybe this is a little motivation.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 05-11-2009, 08:10 PM

that car looks great jerry!!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 AM

65 gassers rock! thanks for all your insperration and photos. need motavation just reread your thred,its got me motavated.(sorry dont spel well)