Old 05-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Senior Chief

Default "Hi-Country Special by Pontiac" Tag on Firewall

Has anyone ever seen this "Hi-Country Special by Pontiac" Tag on the Firewall on a 65 GTO? What does it mean, as I have never seen this before? It's right near the heater core tubes on the firewall. What special options would have been included with this badge. Was it dealer installed?

I've included a photo in the attached hcs1.bmp file.

Last edited by dlarkins; 08-20-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did you get the PHS on the car. That might give some additional information.

My old car is listed in the 2007 Scottsdale Auction, Lot #1016 - $60K
And in the 2008 Scottsdale auction, Lot #960 - $80K
Eventually sold by Brighton Motor Sports in Scottsdale, AZ - http://www.remarkablecars.com/ppads/...p/product/4844
Old 05-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Senior Chief

No not yet as I was hoping for one the experts on this forum to enlighten me! I will be calling PHS to order the docs though.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just did a Google search and it turns out there was some discussion on this board about 2 years ago. Here's the thread - http://216.178.81.108/forums/showthread.php?t=424254

My old car is listed in the 2007 Scottsdale Auction, Lot #1016 - $60K
And in the 2008 Scottsdale auction, Lot #960 - $80K
Eventually sold by Brighton Motor Sports in Scottsdale, AZ - http://www.remarkablecars.com/ppads/...p/product/4844
Old 05-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In the May 2007 Issue of The Legend, John Sawruk gives info on WT5 Mountain Performance option in response to a question from the owner of a '72 A body whose car may have been equipped with this option. He says "The Pontiac Denver Zone and the Pontiac Dealers in it were very good about promoting the availability of this option to improve performance at altitude, so a variety of Pontiac models of various years are out there with it." Could this be what your firewall plate is referring to? If you need a copy of the article, I can fax it you. Only 1 page.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry M. Hunt
In the May 2007 Issue of The Legend, John Sawruk gives info on WT5 Mountain Performance option in response to a question from the owner of a '72 A body whose car may have been equipped with this option. He says "The Pontiac Denver Zone and the Pontiac Dealers in it were very good about promoting the availability of this option to improve performance at altitude, so a variety of Pontiac models of various years are out there with it." Could this be what your firewall plate is referring to? If you need a copy of the article, I can fax it you. Only 1 page.
I cant find my copy, but wasnt he talking about his own GT-37? But, If you copied that from the article, Im wrong.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This months Smoke Signals has a car in it that is a Hi Country car. I didn't read the article, but a quick scan indicated that there were modifications to the carb to compensate for altitude.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The high altitude options that were offered in the '70s included a specially calibrated carburetor with its own unique part number. In the mid '60s, PMD did not offer a unique carb with high altitude calibrations. I've not heard of an official PMD "High Country (altitiude)" package offered in 1965, although I have not by any stretch of the imagination seen it all yet. It is my guess that an enterprising mountain region dealership (or dealerships) offered this special carburetion adjustment service for its high performance and trailer-towing customers and had the plate made up locally. How is that plate attached to the firewall?