Old 10-24-2007, 06:54 PM

Default 1962 GP Backing Plates Color

I started to pull apart my axle today, noticed for the first time the rear backing plates underneath the wheel cylinders and undersides where it has not been visible to the elements appear to be an cadnium type finish, light gold or gold/olive color. I did not see that on the front while restoring? I painted the fronts a satin black. Any thoughts were the rears backing plates finished differently? Do I need to go back and redo fronts?
I found and old ebay listing with a Pontiac backing plate, Cannot read part # , but do not believe to be 62.

Thanks- Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10051a.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	109012  

Old 10-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

hi Mark, don't know about the correct backing plate finish, but that is definitely not a '62 part. ('62s did not have self adjusting brakes, and I don't see a slot for the brake spoon)

if you painted your fronts satin black, you might as well follow suit on the rears and in the mean time do your research to be sure so that next time the car needs brakes you can make it happen.

Good luck...

Old 11-07-2007, 06:37 PM

This is a frame off car, that is still all apart. I can redo my fronts. This picture I attached I knew was not from a 62, but used a reference for color. This is a lower mileage 62 GP and I see no evidence of black paint anywhere. In pulling off the gasket on the backing plate which mounts to rear axle there is no paint what so ever, it is clear a plated part, but have not seen that many upclose underneath to use a reference. I tried to pull all the high dollar 62's up on the internet that have had articles or pictures and cannot determine much on the undercarriage. The couple I saw a Norwalk this year did not have that detail down. Most all were a satin black. It's been several weeks and there has only been your one reply. Thanks I'll keep searching.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A '62 should be the same as a '61, and as far as I know the correct color for the brake backing plates is semigloss (60%?) black. There was just an eBay auction for a 12,000 mile Catalina with a ton of pictures - the car was obviously detailed but for the most part the colors of the undercarriage appeared correct. Take a look:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 11-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My only guess would be that the backing plates were put on the rear end housing before it was painted. that would explain the small spots of bare metal, which can look like a cad plating.

-r-

Old 11-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

to -r-'s point, I have owned a couple of low-mile, well-preserved '62s and they had black paint on the undercarriage...the 'third member' or 'pig' or 'poor man's quickchange' was usually an orange/oxblood (primer?) color.

if it's mission-critical to know, drop a dime on Supercar Specialties (Scott Tiemann & crew)...they have done nearly perfect recreations of these cars and can probably answer the question (for all of us) for sure.