Old 07-12-2008, 09:27 AM

Default Still looking for '55 1/4 panel trim

I listed this in the want ads and only had 6 people look at the ad?

I need both left and right 1/4 panel trim for a '55 chieftain. This is the shorter 82" in trim not the Starchief trim that is 89" long.

Not going on a showcar but rather a dragstrip only car. I'm about ready to start wrestling Merc owners for "their" trim

Old 07-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Luckily I only needed one side and found one on ebay, but I almost was going to weld together a 4dr rear spear and 4dr rear door piece together to make the length I needed. I sold both my extra sets already though or I could help you out. My set now isn't going unless I sell it with the car. A local car for sale has a full set on it, but he won't part the car out. If I ever end up with the car i'll let you know.

Are you the one that was looking for a rear quarter patch panal also?

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 07-13-2008, 04:29 PM

Yeah that was me. I've got everything that I need so far except for the 2 rear 1/4 panel spears, the passenger side upper rear window corner piece and the passenger side front fender grille extension piece. I was at a yard today that had five '55 Pontiacs and of them, two were 2 door cars and both had the trim pieces missing. All were missing the trim corner (as were all the tri-five Chevys) and the ones that had the grill extensions were rusted throuh!!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll check and see if I have any extra grill extensions, probably not too nice, what kind of condition are you looking for?

Anymore more build pics of "the ugly car"? I saw the ones you posted over on the HAMB already. I was curious how you mounted the leaf springs and steering set up for the straight axle to the stock frame.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 07-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bill, regarding the leaf springs & solid front axle, here's link to some photos of such a setup on a 56 Safari in Australia www.PontiacSafari.com/Elvira.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let me know if you want this rear trim Curly, I'm going to look at this car this or next week. I'm pm'd you over on the HAMB so no need to do it here.

Nice set up on the stright axle that you posted Larry, seems it would be easier to keep the original box/frame rails since it's rear steer. Any front steer unit would put the gearbox at the radiator. I suppose it would be more correct / traditional to chop off the whole front section and use 2 x 4 tubing though.

6.27@107
9.97@131