Old 11-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Senior Chief

Dave,the car body I have should have almost everything you need for the main body.....JB.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool JB, we'll be down to pick it up sometime this week, the trailer needs work before I can make an 16 hour round trip. Also I am Todd, Dave is my father in law.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had a day without snow this week so I got some blasting done. I dont do it in the shop because I am un-fond of sand going everywhere and in the engines stored in there. Found out the air compressor needs the pump replaced or rebuilt, so tomorrows project is yank the pump and see if I can get a rebuild kit for it in town. Otherwise I need to spend between $300 and $1200 for a new one. Joy of joys.

Cleaned up some of the crusty sections and found pinholes in the roof. The C pillar on the drivers side will need a section to fix the pinholes and to reweld it to the piece that holds the weather stripping. After I get the compressor sorted out I'll start on the suspension and metal work fixing the parts I cant get patches for. I didnt bother blasting the pieces I intend to replace, and I still have lots to do like the underside and inside the firewall. I need to do the big sections like the underside down the road at my neighbors shop, he has a big blaster that I used for the frame.

A wonderful job they did replacing this quarter years ago.

The jambs need a ton of work in the corners, easy patch with a chunk of hood.

Pass quarter cleaned up ok, got the crust out of the dents, should be easier to work that way.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Senior Chief

Hows the car coming along?

Johnny
Old 12-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the frame painted today, had to warm the shop almost all day to get it to 61F. Laid down rust encapsulator three days ago, had some near zero weather, cant do much when its that cold. Going to rebuild the suspension this week, paint the control arms, press bushings etc. Things will go faster when I get the sheet metal here and ready to go in.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455_GTO View Post
Had a day without snow this week so I got some blasting done. I don't do it in the shop because I am unfond of sand going everywhere and in the engines stored in there. Found out the air compressor needs the pump replaced or rebuilt
Excuse my ignorance, but is there some sort of blast kit you can buy that connects to the air compressor? I have a great (and powerful) air compressor and would love the blast the paint off my 65 if I could do it reasonably. Is this blast kit a reasonable cost item that a "home" user could buy? Thanks. Hal

Old 12-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the Clarke on the top of this page. I would rather have a better one, but so far this one works. It just takes a while because it goes through sand so fast and takes a while to get to bare metal. My compressor is a 240v single phase 5hp 17cfm@90psi two stage and it wont keep up with a pressure blaster without a regulator, but does ok with the regulator but you cant go continuous with it.

Some information about blasting at home
You need a large space to blast, away from buildings and things you dont want to have blasted. You shouldnt do it inside a building you plan to use for anything else, because the sand gets everywhere, light sockets, outlets,tools, engines, you name it, it will go everywhere in there. So outside is much better.

You will need a good respirator, not just a gauze mask, something with replaceable filters like you would use for painting. You also need a hood, glasses and face shields wont do it, you will get sand in your eyes real quick without a hood. Sand at high speed into an eye is not a fun thing. Sand also makes dust, the dust is dangerous to breathe, you can get silicosis and that can turn into pneumonia if you dont wear a respirator. If you blast in your attached garage the dust can get into the house and make everyone in it sick. Not a good idea is it? You will end up with piles of media and a light covering over a 50' radius at the very least while blasting a frame or jambs. Its not something to try in suburbia with neighbors living close by.

Blasting the body panels isnt a good idea, you can warp the metal real easy, doing the jambs, firewall, interior, underside, and frame works great since they are all compound curves and tight spaces where a DA sander cant reach. Getting paint off the quarters, doors, hood, etc. is better accomplished with a DA or chem strip than with a sandblaster. Soda blasters work good for paint removal on those parts, but soda will not remove rust. You need a more aggressive media for rust, black slag seems to work pretty good without as much dust, and glass bead would be prohibitively expensive to do an entire car.

I use the open area right ahead of the red Cougar to do the blasting, and I usually tarp the cars sitting in the grass and move everything else away from that area. That whole concrete pad gets covered with sand. You need some room to do it.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the data; and the warnings! Sounds like something to have someone else do, far away from home. Hal

Old 12-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Senior Chief

I'm glad you are making progress. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product! Keep us updated.

Johnny
Old 01-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ordered the floors last month, OPG took forever to ship them, got them on the 20th. Started on cutting Thursday last week, got the front done except for a little finish welding and trimming. I'll grind the welds down later after its been sandblasted and I have the rest of the patches done. Might as well just take a couple days and grind until my head spins.

Chopped the trunk out, man the sawzall cuts through the braces like they are nuthin, oh wait with all the rust its almost nuthin. Welded in the new tank braces, covered all the stuff that will be enclosed with encapsulator, trimmed the pass side and started welding. Cleaning and trimming seems to take more time than anything else.

I'll finish the rest tomorrow, and paint the control arms while its still warm. Weather is supposed to go back to the low teens to below zero on Tuesday. The joys of living in the north. I was working in my t-shirt for a few hours today, it was almost 40 here and the wood burner was cranking out the heat. THat wont be happening the rest of the week, gonna freeze my tail off out there, and I'll be lucky to get it over 50F.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

good work. looks like you are making some progress.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure if anyone is still interested, but I'll post pics anyway. Maybe someone will get something positive from my lunacy.

The brakes came in this week, just waiting for the paint on the control arms to cure so I can press in the bushings and assemble the frame again. If I warm the shop up today it might be sometime this week when it has wheels under it again. Still some welding to do, but for the most part the floors are in there. Need to get some blasting done on it now. Spent a few hours sanding the roof last night, what an enjoyably mind numbing opportunity.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are a better man than I, Todd.

How's the weather been up there? It's been pretty mild down here in the Motor City.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldnt say better, I just have more time to do this kinda stuff. Im pretty sure almost anyone can learn to do it if they have the time. But thanks for the compliment. Maybe Dave and I will come down for the Woodward cruise and bring this thing along. It would be nice to meet you and a few others downstate, I think Dave would get a kick out of your 65 too.

Not a bad winter, we've had a few weeks of 30s and that has let me get a long way on this thing. Between that we had weeks of zero to teens, but not much snow. Only about 4 feet so far, so its not like living at McMurdo Bay like it usually is. The nice thing is the big lake moderates the weather a bit, so its not like living on the plains of Nebraska. Way too cold and hot for me there.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Senior Chief

Keep the progress pics coming. You're doing a great job!

Johnny
Old 02-06-2010, 02:02 PM

Congrats on all the great work there. You are making super progress. I have a 67 that is actually worse that I'm slowly rebuilding. I don't have the dash/firewall/roof issue that you are dealing with but everything from the toe boards thru the tail panel is gone and needs replaced. My frame was grafted together from other "donors" and was in 6 pieces...
If you still need panels, have you checked with the Parts Place in Chicago ??
http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocat...&YearList=1965
They are a lot closer and usually stock many of these parts too. You could drive down and save shipping although the gas might cost as much...

67 GTO...Gulf Turquoise w/Black bench and 4 speed...
Follow the resto in pics here...http://s1357.beta.photobucket.com/us...28454765976114
67 Camaro ss/rs 350
66 Chevelle SS 396
70 Chevelle SS 396
Old 02-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ran into a problem this week. Started pressing bushings into control arms, and found that the replacement I got from a member has different sized holes. So I need to see if I can get the one bushing that is different without buying an entire kit. Got some sandblasting done on the firewall and the underside, then it started snowing and hasnt stopped yet. No pics because it looks the same, just less rust.

Other than the bushing and the snow, things are going ok if I can get my air lines to thaw out and stop freezing up. It happens all year when I run it too hard, but this time of year it doesnt come out of it easily. I think I need to plumb in another tank so the air will cool off long before it gets to the lines, just an idea. Got three tanks I can use, its just a matter of connecting them.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This may well be the most amazing restoration I have ever seen. keep the pictures and updates coming.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:24 AM
Senior Chief

Todd,

This is a great thread to watch and learn from. You and my friend Mitch (Too Many Projects) are real inspirations, it is amazing to watch cars come back from what appeared to be hopeless rust buckets. Mitch commented above, thought you might enjoy seeing his pictures and progress on his 67 over in the GTO Forum:

http://www.gtoforum.com/f50/finally-...r-again-25056/

You guys both deserve some sort of award for what you are tackling.

Rick

Last edited by Koppster; 02-17-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppster View Post
Todd,

This is a great thread to watch and learn from. You and my friend Mitch (Too Many Projects) are real inspirations, it is amazing to watch cars come back from what appeared to be hopeless rust buckets. Mitch commented above, thought you might enjoy seeing his pictures and progress on his 67 over in the GTO Forum:

http://www.gtoforum.com/f50/finally-...r-again-25056/

You guys both deserve some sort of award for what you are tackling.

Rick
Thanks Rick, it takes a special kinda guy to take on a project like this. I wonder if Mitch has had any head injuries in the past like I have..

Mitch I would dare to say yours is as bad as this one! At least you can get some parts easier than I can, but the guys on PY and a couple other forums have been great with helping out. Just gotta get around and pick some stuff up. Today is nice and warm at 30F and its not snowing, so its out to get some blasting done!