Old 03-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Senior Chief

OOOOOPPPPPPSSSSSS......My bad...just re-read your post T.....(none in stock)'Sorry....JB.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Deuce 64 View Post
I don't mean to jump in on your thread but I'm working in the same area as you are at the moment. I'm in the final stretch though once these two lower patches are done I'm ready for primer and paint. I have to give you a lot of credit for the work you are doing on this car. I don't think I would have done it .
Looks like that was a Fontain blue car originally from the color inside the wheel well.
I'm just putting on lower patch panels on my 65. The area between the lower wheel house and the lower quarter was full of silt which intern held moisture and rusted out that section of the quarter it was full of pin holes once I stripped the paint off. The rear upper section of the wheel house extension had also been hit and wadded and that was easier to straighten with the lower section of the quarter removed.I'm trying something different on the wheel lip and bottom sections of the repair panel I used panel glue and let it set now I'm going to butt weld in the seam between the panel and the quarter.
Well if I could have gotten the 65 you got from JB I wouldnt be doing this one. Well maybe as a drag car or something. I didnt know he had it or was selling it, and I couldnt afford it until January anyway. This was the only 65 I could find that I could afford, 4 years ago people were hanging on to the parts cars and a decent GTO was way out of my range. So you work with what you can get.

The quarter and wheel house they tacked on the car were from a blue Tempest, its easy to tell because of the crappy welds around it and the multitude of holes where the name plate goes. The pass side only has three holes and the original paint was buried under 4 other colors I sanded off the rest of the car. So it had been painted twice before the drivers quarter was stuffed on it.

I am thrilled that my 70 isnt anywhere near this bad. After this one and the 71 Mustang everything else should be easy.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:47 AM

Hi!
I give you LOTS of credit for taking on such a project!! I have some cancer issues on my 65 I am working on, but NOTHING like what you are taking on. Watching the progess gives me LOTS on insirpration.......

Thanx Alan

Old 03-03-2010, 11:08 AM

Good luck to you brother. I though my 65 looked bad when I started on it, and all I had to replace where both quarters and the floor from the firewall to the rear bumper. Everyone said I was crazy. But it was complete and had the original driveline.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Senior Chief

From the pic's it looks like someone put a section from a LeMans on the drivers side rear due to the letter holes and the pass side still has the original GTO quarter.......JB.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie9901 View Post
From the pic's it looks like someone put a section from a LeMans on the drivers side rear due to the letter holes and the pass side still has the original GTO quarter.......JB.
Yeah thats what it is..

There was almost a 2 inch difference between where the passenger side fender lip and the drivers side were. That was partly because of the wrinkled wheel well. I couldnt get it straight because of the folded crease in it, so I but it out. I'll fab a patch from the hood and weld it in there tomorrow.

Rather than fighting with the quarter panel to get it flat from the multiple cuts and welds, I used the rear lower patch and drop to locate the skin. So at least the back half of the quarter has the right profile to it. After I get the forward part of the wheel well back in the lip shouild be where its supposed to be. I like to have as little filler as possible, so I end up doing a bunch of bumping to get silliness like this flat again.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the latest, bumping dents doesnt show much so here are the welds I did. Also did some other stuff with the rotisserie.

A rust hole on top of the quarter cut out and patched, it was pitted around it pretty bad. Doesnt look as nice as it will, I didnt grind on it much.

And the patches in the wheel well.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Updates???

Old 03-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just need the part that has been on back order for the bottom and the rear window is done. Well just a bit of grinding to do on the drivers side where I made it a tad thin. It will still take some filler but at least the windows wont leak water anymore.

Also drilled holes in the floor pans so I can finish welding them tomorrow, after that and a bit of grinding/trimming on the seams then I will finish the drivers side quarter repairs. After that its on to the door jambs and the front window.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

work is progressing.. Just nothing really interesting to take pics of, unless you like to see welds ground down and dents bumped out. I did get the control arms bushed and mounted, gont one spindle and spring in then the spring compressor decided to take a dump as I was doing the drivers side. Stripped the threads right out of it, and there is no way to put the spring in without a car on the frame or an engine in it. The good part is once the front end is together, I can stuff the engine and trans in and get them all lined up. Probably the easiest way to get to the trans bolts is to yank the body..

It wont be done for the May 5th deadline, but with luck I can have it painted and waiting on glass, interior, bumpers, trim, and wiring. I can always take it down there on the trailer and show it to him almost complete. I think we are planning some sort of surprise party for him, gotta talk to the mom in law about it and see what she has cooked up.

The filler behind the rear window is in, so that is next up. I am so very tired of seeing that crappy paint on it.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This car should be almost done by now.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455_GTO View Post
work is progressing.. Just nothing really interesting to take pics of, unless you like to see welds ground down and dents bumped out. I did get the control arms bushed and mounted, gont one spindle and spring in then the spring compressor decided to take a dump as I was doing the drivers side. Stripped the threads right out of it, and there is no way to put the spring in without a car on the frame or an engine in it. The good part is once the front end is together, I can stuff the engine and trans in and get them all lined up. Probably the easiest way to get to the trans bolts is to yank the body..

It wont be done for the May 5th deadline, but with luck I can have it painted and waiting on glass, interior, bumpers, trim, and wiring. I can always take it down there on the trailer and show it to him almost complete. I think we are planning some sort of surprise party for him, gotta talk to the mom in law about it and see what she has cooked up.

The filler behind the rear window is in, so that is next up. I am so very tired of seeing that crappy paint on it.
Where are the festivities in May?

Maybe some other Pontiacs should show up for a display of support.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 03-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

theres not a car out there that should be considered to far gone, after seeing this thread and the other thread about mitch-toomanyprojects- car

Old 03-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by performerrpm View Post
theres not a car out there that should be considered to far gone, after seeing this thread and the other thread about mitch-toomanyprojects- car
Link?

Old 03-30-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by performerrpm View Post
Hey Dave, how you doin' ?? I thought I read where you moved out East a while back. I had the core support I got from you sand blasted and is ready for paint too.
Anyway, my thread is on a different forum.... here's the link.
http://www.gtoforum.com/f50/finally-...r-again-25056/

67 GTO...Gulf Turquoise w/Black bench and 4 speed...
Follow the resto in pics here...http://s1357.beta.photobucket.com/us...28454765976114
67 Camaro ss/rs 350
66 Chevelle SS 396
70 Chevelle SS 396
Old 03-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Hey Dave, how you doin' ?? I thought I read where you moved out East a while back. I had the core support I got from you sand blasted and is ready for paint too.
Anyway, my thread is on a different forum.... here's the link.
http://www.gtoforum.com/f50/finally-...r-again-25056/
doing good, yep in cincinnati- east enuff for me- right now with my youngster so had to put my pontiac on hold, tho i did decide to send to body shop to get some metal work finished i had started. i had stumbled onto a link in a thread somewhere to your album with progress pictures of your 67, looks like you been busy over the winter

Old 04-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Where are the festivities in May?

Maybe some other Pontiacs should show up for a display of support.

K
Keith its about 7 miles from Au Train Michigan, across the road from Deer Lake. Not sure what they have planned yet, but I wont have the car done by then. I am simply out of funds to get everything for it. It should be on the frame with the drivetrain in it, but I cant swing the wiring, glass, fuel tank, and interior, plus I still need more sheet metal. Im getting some of it from the Tempest I found up here, but it is only giving me the upper cowl and a few other parts. Trees falling on them and rust are rather tough on cars. It does have a back seat in it so I dont need to find one of those now.

I ran into some bills I hadnt counted on and a few other hiccups slowed down the progress, plus I still havent made it down state to pick up the parts car JB offered me. The trailer is down and since it is quite difficult to get wheel bearings for the axles under it, I am putting in different axles that will allow me to run decent wheels and tires.

At least my welder is fixed, I had to get a new regulator I was going through a bottle of gas in three weeks, and previously I had done two cars on one bottle. Both of those amounted to more welding than this one.

The frame is together but I am going with a different rear and control arms back there, so these are not refinished. It still needs the lines and brakes put on it, and a little more grease in the hubs. I rolled it outside to give me more work space and I cleaned the shop after a long winter of crap accumulating as it falls or is cut off the shell.

The floor is all patched up now, Dave's grandson came over and gave me a hand with the weld grinding, kid saved me two days work and lots of soreness. He graduates this year and is one hell of a worker, too bad he isnt into cars like he is golf.

I decided to patch the kick panel because I cant find one in decent shape, it wasnt that difficult, but I need the cross bar that the dash is welded to replaced anyway so I sectioned it. I could weld it back in, but if JBs car or the Tempest up here has a decent one in it, I will transplant the entire piece.

The Tempest up here had a fender I can work with, it needs quite a bit of work but at least it isnt bashed in like the original was. Something without as much damage would save me about a week on this one.

The Pontiac community has been wonderful helping me with this, without you guys I would be having a hard time with it. Mitch has been doing some amazing work on his 67, and apparently what we are doing is having an influence on people getting out and starting to tackle things themselves. It makes me feel good to know I am part of a great community and a positive influence in it.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was David Copperfield yesterday. I made a Tempest disappear.

POOF!

Still need more parts, lots of em.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hiatus, this is on it. Indefinitely.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455_GTO View Post
Hiatus, this is on it. Indefinitely.
What happened?