Old 05-22-2010, 12:57 PM

Default "Barnfind" 65 GTO convertible and others

Story is as follows: I stopped by to talk to the guy I purchased my lemans from. Got on the subject of old Camaros and he said he had one for sale. I went to look at it and as Im checking out this Wrecked 68 Z28 (In Very good shape) black with white stripes. I catch a glimpse of a pontiac rally1 wheel covered in dust and other car parts. The barn is very dark but as I get closer It is actually a 65 GTO convertible. Had an interior fire sometime back and was media blasted and set back in the barn in pieces. Body is very solid and most of the car is there The firewall forward is in a pile next to the car covered up the engine is in the barn next to it. few blisters on the quarters from the fire I imagine? Hope to get a closer look at it and maybe some pictures soon. Its a lighter blue color original paint. How many 65 GTO convertibles made? Couldnt tell if it was an auto or stick too dark and parts piled up on the floorboard.
ALSO scooped out a 1970 bonneville455 convertible (possible donor engine for my lemans?) an old Porsche 911(BLEH) and a 76-77 firebird. Looks like I may be getting a divorce soon cause I plan on bringing at least one of these babies home.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:06 PM

That Bonnie better be REALLY rough to part it out for a Lemans.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-22-2010, 01:28 PM

Its in a side barn thats open to weather. the top is down and "critters" have made beds in the interior. Body is workable. I'm just not a fan of the later Bonneville design. I like the 54-61's better however the engines are powerhouses. how rare is the 70 Bonneville 455? has AC.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RS72lemans:you have a P.M.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can get the trim tag and VIN,that would be cool to post.It may be a 3x2? thanks

Larry B.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:45 PM

Paintguy you have a PM!
Larry Ill See what I can come up with for you. Probably going to be end of next week when he gets back home before I can get back in there to take pictures.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:40 PM

70 bonnnie verts are pretty rare.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-22-2010, 04:18 PM

Anyone interested in acquiring the bonnie then? Ill talk to him friday and see what it will take for him to come off it. I imagine new top, brakes, wash and buff, front seat and major cleaning it would probably drive out ok. Dash isnt cracked or anything its just covered in a quarter inch of dust with a side of bird/coon crap... no dents in the body chromes all there I think?

Old 05-28-2010, 10:29 PM

Well bad news on the GTO The vin tag is missing he does have a title but not sure where it is. Also the ID tag is missing. He said he probably has them but several yrs ago after it was bead blasted he thinks they may have removed the tags to clean and never put them back on so they may be in pieces. I did leave there with a 68 camaro and wifes not happy...lol Its z28 badged but sadly its not a 302...
If the vin tag is lost for good but he has a title any other place to ID the car at? any other vin stampings? I suppose as long as no one is told the vin is missing at the bmv you could still title it without issues but if for some reason it had an inspection done or insurance claim you might be screwed?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Suspended

not sure if there are several other places to verift id. Regardless, if you show up at motor vehicle with a car and you got the vin plate in hand they will rip you a new one. They most likely will not alow you to install the vin plate you got in hand. thay will tell you that you must use some cheesy foil vin sticker generated by them that has no relation to the cars provenance or origionality. You loose big time and there is no turning back, also you find them quoting laws about 10 years in jail and/or $10.000 fine for being foolish enough to walk through the door with such incriminating evidence.

I had a dream once, under the influence of food poisioning, where I bought a very valuble car in the same condition you described. I gave the seller a choice to either fined the plate and title and I would pay fair market price or sell me the car dirt cheap, and I mean dirt cheap and I would shop around untill I found a vin and paperwork and made the car my own. I believe in my dream that I contacted several vendors out of Hemmings who were in the north east where rust is the largets remaining part of cars and they sold me what I needed. and the transformation from rust bucket to nice car happened over night. I came out to the garage the next morning and a miraicle had occured. I sacrificed several small children in front of my John Z DeLorean shrine and drank used motor oil from a 428 piston in celebration. Then I woke up. Dont eat sea food in Mexico.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:19 PM

phucky... Might talk to the bmv about it and see what all has to be done... so they say dreams all have hidden meanings right? Wonder what that meant?