THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default A belated "hello"!

A recent thread here got me thinking, the thread was about your first post here, and it made me realize that I don't think I ever really introduced myself. Since I haven't met many of you face to face, I might as well (re)introduce myself.

(Better late than never I hope!)

Hello, my name is Jonathan;
My user name is a conjunction of my last name, and a (begrudged) nickname that one of my cousins gave me;
unruhjonny = Jonathan Unruh

I have tried to be as transparent as possible with members here, which is in part, why I have given my location, allow emails, and have probably too often spoken off the cuff... and probably come off poorly. (sorry)

I have come to understand that I am younger than a great deal of the members here - I was born the year that:
- Elvis passed away
- Star Wars hit the big scrrens
- Smokey & the Bandit hit the big screens
... 1977.

I am here to learn, to have a little fun, and to help people, not necessarily in that order.

I am not terribly outgoing (I took a 'Myers-Briggs' test while attending college in '00, and it put me as INFP), but I do earnestly try to be outgoing;
I have made it out to the 2006 Trans Am nationals - I drove a silver '73 Formula there, and met a handful of you there;
I have also made it to the 2009(?) Pontiac Nationals - I drove my (rather unassuming) '91 Grand Am there, and even though my constancy was pure crap, I had a hoot running it in the FWD class.
Between the two shows I have met some great people and had some real fun... but names have never been my strong point.

Any-who, I was gifted my first car in the summer of 1995 by my dad, step-mom, and step-grandmother;
My first car is my 1970 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400.

My Firebird served as a summer daily driver, and when I couldn't afford to have a second car for winter, full time daily driver for 1995 through to 2001.
In late 2001 I bought my first (of four!) Quad4/5 speed Grand Am coupes - before that I was barely making enough to put gas in my Firebird, and food in my gut - so a cheap to drive car has since become a staple in my life.
I took my Firebird off the road in the spring of 2004 after I got in an accident with it, and realized that if I didn't dry-dock and fix it properly, the car would soon be too far gone to fix.
It has ALOT of rust.
In spite of the rust, I love this car, and doubt I would be able to find another same colour, similar optioned car - assuming I could afford such a car.

Up until very recently I had no history on my car, but a member here more or less kick-started me on what would result in me finding history on the car to a decade before I came to own it;
Now I have spoken to two prior owners of my car, and the second last owner of the car recently told me that he purchased it out of Winnipeg in late 1985.
That's where my car's history goes cold.

My car is a 1970 Firebird Formula 400 which was sold new at Birchwood Motors, out of St James (now a community of Winnipeg) Manitoba.
As built it had:
- 330hp 400cid engine (std); dual snorkle aircleaner with a non-functional hood.
- Muncie 3 speed transmission (std)
- 3.55:1 non-posi rear end (std)
- gauges with tach (cost option)
- centre console (cost option)
- AM pushbutton radio (cost option)
- Carousel Red (orange) paint (n/c special order)
- Black interior (std)
- 14x 7” steel wheels (std) c/w “dog dish” hubcaps (std)

At some point in time prior to it being sold in late 1985 the following changes were made to it:
- The engine was changed to a 1970 YZ 'Ram Air III' engine (coded as coming out of another Firebird)
- The transmission was changed to a 1972 Muncie M22 four speed (coded as coming out of another Firebird)
- an aftermarket Hurst Competition plus four speed shifter was installed
- The differential was changed to a 3.55:1 posi (I haven't yet figured out if the whole rear end was changed, or if just the posi was swapped in)
- The hood scoops were cut open, and a GM service replacement 'ram air' air cleaner was installed.
- A set of 15x7" Pontiac 'Rally II' wheels installed.
- The dash pad was swapped out for a ‘deluxe’ dash from a 1978-1981 Firebird (the differences being a pull-strap above the glove box, and a larger radio opening).

The gentleman who bought my Firebird in late 1985 had it repainted in 1987 to yellow, "just to change things up" - he told me that he almost immediately regretted the colour change.

These two pictures were taken the morning after it was bought, and trailered from Riverton Manitoba, down to Winnipeg Manitoba - in a trailer otherwise reserved for a bobcat (think: skid-steer) - the front nose "rub" is from gently hitting the front of the trailer on route.

The following pictures were taken by me shortly after going back to the original paint colour;
The first picture was actually used by a local newspaper when my car was highlighted in the weekly "classics corner" page of the Friday issue (which included an automotive section).

This is approximately how the car looks right now;
Last year I bought a rotisserie, got it mounted and started taking it apart to properly fix it - all that Manitoba salt did it no favors!

I aspire to build my car 100% correct (with one exception; I'm not getting rid of the posi);
in addition to having the car 100% correct, I am planning to have a second set of wheels for driving around town, and the option to run an altered (but year/model correct) drivetrain to make me eligible for the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags.

I have enjoyed learning from, and joking with members here, and while here I have made the following changes to or purchases for my car:
- acquired and installed a 'correct' black standard dash (72?-77 grain pattern) - replacing the 78-81 dash it previously had.
- acquired from a member here a mint replacement woodgrain dash insert
- acquired from a member here an NOS (and a second very nice used) 'nose emblem'.
- sourced a mint replacement front bumper
- source two complete (used) quarterpanels
- replaced the aftermarket Competition plus shifter for an OE competition plus shifter, and a 71+ 'simulated leather' shifter knob
- located and purchased a correct Muncie three speed (later acquiring the correct shifter for my car)
- sourced (because of a member here tipping me off) a very rare early 1970 'red crest' three speed shifter knob
- sourced two NOS 'black ball' three and four speed shift knobs
- made a trade with a member here for a correct distributor.
- located a code & date correct engine; with a vin from the same plant 546 units before my car (this may be for the same day, or a day prior to my car's assembly).
- located a correct coded Quadrajet for my car.
- located a full set (of five mismatched) 14x7" steel wheels for my car (only one is code/date correct, but I hope to fix that)
- acquired a correct mono AM radio, and just this year a year correct 'stereo' AM radio c/w speakers
- acquired a 'WS' engine that at this time, I intend to build for PSMCD
- in 2007 I sold, then just this past spring bought back my 'YZ' engine.
- last year after starting to tear down my car, I passed my 1972 M22 on to my brother; if I chose to run a four speed, I have a 1969 M20 and the means to assemble a "1970" M22.

I look forward to hopefully meeting more of you in the years to come - and really hope the meeting is made with my '70 Formula doing the driving duties
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2855.JPG
Views:	694
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	498820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2854.JPG
Views:	690
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	498821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7362s.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	498824  

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to unruhjonny For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 04:49 PM

Hello Jonathan, quite the project you have. I’ve had many over the years here as well, most here know me for my 1969 Firebird 400 convertible. It was even on the side of the PY trailer for a few years. Once again I look to the great people here for help, and the many parts I need for my newest project, my 78 Bandit TA named BURT. Soooooo many here have helped me get the parts I need to start this project. Anything you ever need just ask. The members here are the best! As I’m sure you’ve come to see over the time you’ve been here.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 11-27-2018, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome Jonny!

Never been analyzed but I'd say I'm a INTJ.

You can't be all bad since you have a 70 Formula.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-27-2018, 06:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Awesome - You have learned a lot in your (approx) 3900 posts...You hit all the big items - history, attitude, project car and status + Pictures. Glad to know you - albeit only digitally.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:52 PM

I've taken the online tests, and I'm INTP...socializing is exhausting!

1963 Thunderbird
1965 Mustang
1965 Skylark Sport Coupe
1965 Dart 170 Wagon
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
Old 11-27-2018, 06:54 PM
Suspended

LOL! New guys.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks to all of you

right now these goobers are the biggest reason why I don't generally have a whole lot of time to pick at my car when the weather is warm...
My boy is turning 4 in February, and my daughter is turning two in March...

My boy was especially bummed out when I removed the steering column from my car... apparently holding a steering wheel just isn't as fun as spinning it round and round...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0452s.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	498842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456s.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	498843  

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 11-27-2018, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great "intro" Jonathan
Welcome!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 11-28-2018, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks

hmm.

I noticed earlier that the third and fourth pictures (order in which I placed them in the write up) were in the body of the message, but were missing from the "attached thumbnails" at the bottom of the post;
I didn't think anything of it before - but now they are MIA...??

Is there someone I could email the pictures to, to have them loaded, and reinserted in the message?
(I know how mod/admin priveliges can work from being admin on another website)

attached was supposed to be the third picture:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	498891  

Old 11-28-2018, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

and this was supposed to be the fourth picture;
(loading from phone right now, which means I can only do one per post - because they always load up as "image.jpeg")
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	498892  

Old 11-28-2018, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Howdy Fellow Canadian. LOL. Vancouver Island BC here.
But looks like you have been here longer than I have so you must have more secret info, LOL. Have fun with your car and your kids, they grow up fast.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I found a new favorite thread, and since adding a subscription to a thread which was created, and quietly died twelve years ago won't make it any eaiser to find down the road, I'm going to link it here...

I really like first hand accounts of the musclecar scene - to that effect Ponyakr made a great thread giving his first hand accounts of the car scene in years bygone, including his experience on the street and sanctioned racing scene from behind the wheel of his '69 GTO (and others) - but this thread has a great first hand account from a guy with early second gen cars;

LINK

To think I found it when trying to do a search of number of cars built per day!?!
What a great find!

Old 01-14-2019, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

F YOU BRO you SUCK ....

Just kidding, don't want your intro thread to be too boring

Old 01-14-2019, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been pronouncing it Unruly john to myself this whole time. Thanks for clearing THAT up.

Sold 2003: 12.00/112MPH/1.61 60'/26"x3.31:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Q-Jet-Torker/3650Lbs//18MPG 94oct
Sold 1994: 11.00/123MPH/1.50 60'/29.5"x4.10:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Dual600s-Wenzler/3250Lbs//94oct
Old 02-17-2021, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s probably due time for an update;

Since I created this thread:

- I have purchased a set of four matching 1970 Firebird/Camaro “CL” wheels;
This set of four is a ‘Norris Industries’ manufactured set, and although I have read that typically Norris would have supplied wheels to Van Nuys, I decided that this would be the set I have for my car. On the up side, Norris appears to have (at least with these wheels) not stuck to conventional date stamping, as there is no month indication only “T10 (valve stem) 8 CL” – which to me reads as:
T = Norris Ind
1 = plant location
0 = 1970
8 = 8th day of month
If I recall correctly, I was told these came off of a 1970 Camaro SS 396 – I bought these from a Camaro SS owner.
The apparent absence of a month stamp is a head scratcher, but also makes them inarguably date correct 😉
These wheels were a long time in the making for me, and were probably the single most expensive online purchase I have made for my car to date.

- I sourced a date correct carburetor for my car, and have officially stopped collecting carbs… lol.
Finding a date correct one seemed to be a real up hill battle as most 7040263 castings seem to be dated prior to January 1st 1970.

- I have confirmed that the rear end IS from another Firebird (I have learned that Camaro 12 bolt rear ends had different perches for four leaf springs); I found the COX stamping, which indicates that this is not my car’s original rear end. It makes me a bit remiss that I sold my spare 3.55:1 open rear end, but since I wasn’t going to ever run an open rear, I am not going to lose sleep over it.

- I bought from a member here a spare rear end from another Formula.
This spare rear end is a 3.07:1 open unit.
I also bought a new three series posi differential to install in this rear end which came with a (not yet installed) 3.73:1 ring and pinion set.
I also bought a never installed 3.90:1 ring and pinion set from a member here.
I have mentioned it before, but many years ago, I had a short ride in what might have been the very last produced 1968 RAI Firebird – on paper (headers aside) it would seem to have been in every way my car’s equal, but I am guessing that the 3.90:1 rear gears REALLY woke that car up, and ever since that time I’ve wanted to have a 3.90:1 gear set, and since the PSMCD doesn’t put limits on factory gears, I am going to set up this spare rear end so that I have the option to run either one as it suits me. (since this other rear end, and the other transmissions I have for the car are all “weekend swaps”, and PSMCD legal, it all fits on with my car’s build theme.)

The interior (less door panels) is all out of my car, all that remains attached the shell are the doors and the glass – but I’m working on that too.

- I had a set of virgin #12 heads rebuilt to stock specs for my WT engine.

- I recently sourced a June 1970 dated passenger mirror, and although the mirror itself is not as nice as I’d prefer (the glass is pitted in a way that is really tough to capture), I will remain content for time being as this little thing is “done”

- I bought a really nice looking OEM bolt on trunk bird to add to my collection of other trunk birds.

- I acquired a pre-production “400” trunk emblem.

- I acquired a replacement windshield air vent (the big “Y” that comes off the heater box behind the dash) – mine had a huge crack at the bottom of the “Y” where the two sides come together, and I broke both sides where the mounting hole is on my original.

- I also started seriously selling off the bulk of my spare parts including my 455 (sold in the spring), and the spare virgin (still assembled and in really good shape) shortblock ’72-400 this fall (c/w everything needed to have a complete engine) that I had put aside many years ago.

- to further my attempts at selling of extra stuff, I did my very first swap meet booth;
I attended a swap meet in February before the shut downs, but every one after that was cancelled right through to October when this swap meet happened. (I had a corner spot, the black shelf is the guy (my cousin actually) beside me – the pegboard wall is the divider between me ant the next booth.

(end part 1 of update)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1971.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	560997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5429s.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	560998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8302s.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	560999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8339s.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	561000  

Old 02-17-2021, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

(part 2 of update)

- My Firebird was somewhat stalled this past year as I spent most of the warmer months working on my garage. What started out as a desperate need to re-shingle quickly morphed into ordering storage trusses, that I designed (I am a truss designer after all, and in good position to order trusses when the shop slows down and in turn get a decent discount &#128521.

After cleaning the roof of the old shingles, I removed the sheathing from one side, and slipped the new trusses in beside the existing trusses, and nailed the existing to the new (the existing gables were left undisturbed). I then the put sheeting back up in place, and re-shingled the roof.

Afterwards, I went into the roof, and sawzalled out the webs from the older trusses, after which I was able to slip floor sheathing up, and in between the trusses.

My storage area is basically a crawl space, but at 7’6” wide running the full length of my garage, and with being able to tuck items outside of my 7’6” wide area, the sheer volume of theoretical storage that I have has made my life much easier.

\/ This is a view towards the front, the front edge of the 2x6 laying flat is about where the stair opening floor cut out ends.

\/ This is a view to the back.

I added another four feet of floor sheathing past the verticals that define the storage area - this allows me to put small boxes out there, and maximise my storage.

I limited myself to 7’6” width, because my existing trusses were 22ft span 4/12 trusses with a conventional 2x4 (roughly 7”) heel. If I went with any larger width storage area, it required more than a 2x6 bottom chord depth. With 2x4 heels and 4/12 slope, headroom was already tight.
From top of 2x6 bottom chord, to underside of vertical web at peak, I have 2’9” (the picture of the design uploaded a little smaller than I would have hoped).

I actually had alot of fun doing all this. IT was hard work - but in all quite enjoyable. The worst past might have been doing the floor sheathing in July, in a REALLY stuffy garage... I may add a gable vent on one side of my garage, with provisions to close it for winter.

I have to figure out some sort of collapsing stairs this coming year, and button it up to finish insulating the garage – so that I can hook up a heater!

I recently bought an electric heater (to my brother's dismay) and it should work, assuming the heat doesn't all immediately go up into my trusses.
I haven't yet installed it, so if I have second thoughts in the short term I can return it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	my attic trusses.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	561001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7135s giving a love tap or four to snug it in place.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	561002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7507s.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	561003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7558s.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	561004   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7559s.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	561005  

Old 02-17-2021, 04:23 PM

Nice collection of parts there, I sure do miss the swap meets. I love discovering treasures among the junk, well even junk needs a little shinning.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
Nice collection of parts there, I sure do miss the swap meets. I love discovering treasures among the junk, well even junk needs a little shinning.
Amen brother!

I had booked off time for the PDX swap meet this year, which was cancelled for the first time ever last year - and a short while ago when I booked holidays, it was still listed as a go... but some time quite recently, it was cancelled... That February swap meet that I attended last year before all this crap came down, was recently cancelled for this year (it would have been this past weekend).
If nothing else, a swap meet is a great excuse to get out from the normal, and see some sights, and maybe have some nice automotive banter with your normal car-swap-meet-buddies...

Old 02-17-2021, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool post!

I was intrigued by the Myers-Birggs test comment, so I took a quick one and apparently I'm a ISTJ-T.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 02-17-2021, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder if a 12-Bolt rear came stock with you Formula.

Early 1990s i found a Formula 400 in the junkyard stick car with a 3.73:1 12- bolt posi. Yea, i bought/got the rear with leafs and swaybar. I used the leafs on my 69 bird.