Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-28-2022, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Milodon Rod Bolt Torque Specs

I have a set of stock cast rods that have been resized with Milodon bolts that will be going in an engine. Does anyone know what the torque specifications are on these rod bolts?

Are these rod bolts as good as ARP? I have never used any rod bolts from Milodon.

Old 04-29-2022, 06:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

John I have used 3 different brand rod bolts in the armasteel factory Rods and never had a problem,as even the cheapest Mr Gasket ones that I have used way back when are far stronger the the Rods themselves!

Torque wise with any 3/8 " bolt you can't go wrong with 45 lb with the threads lubed up with straight 30W oil.

Let me put it this way, if something takes place that bends these bolts when used in factory Rods, then the rod is already busted!!

If your sill on the fence with that then shoot a email to Milodon, but if your going to do that then I would get the needed rod bolt micrometer a get the spec as what they call for in stretch if the bolts are made with the needed dimples.

Old 04-29-2022, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25stevem View Post
John I have used 3 different brand rod bolts in the armasteel factory Rods and never had a problem,as even the cheapest Mr Gasket ones that I have used way back when are far stronger the the Rods themselves!

Torque wise with any 3/8 " bolt you can't go wrong with 45 lb with the threads lubed up with straight 30W oil.

Let me put it this way, if something takes place that bends these bolts when used in factory Rods, then the rod is already busted!!

If your sill on the fence with that then shoot a email to Milodon, but if your going to do that then I would get the needed rod bolt micrometer a get the spec as what they call for in stretch if the bolts are made with the needed dimples.
Surprisingly, those "cheapest Mr. Gasket bolts" were actually very high quality. A specialty fastener company SPS, made them for Mr. Gasket back in the day. This was before the company was sold several times and became a Chinese trinket company.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2022, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

45 isn’t far off. I think they are rated for 50 lbs.

I have found ARP is a superior fastener over Milodon for most applications. Milodon rates most of the fasteners at a strength at 190 psi. Most the ARP seem to run 210 psi, even on the ARP fasteners that are rated at 190 they still seem like they are 210 based off of bolt stretch. It generally takes more to tq to get bolt stretch for ARP against a Milodon.

This last year ARP fasteners have been out of stock on a bunch of stuff. I’ll use Milodon when ARP are unattainable. But ARP is my first choice.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

SPS was top-shelf, particularly the Jenkintown plant. I think they are Mil-Aerospace only now.

Not aware of chyna ownership, but looks like "pcc" bought as many fastner companies possible and includes sps-Jenkintown .

Old 04-29-2022, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just for future reference here my Milodon catalog states 47 to 50 lb for there 3/8” bolts.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank Steve and thanks to everyone else who responded. It is appreciated.

Old 05-01-2022, 02:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Milner View Post
I have a set of stock cast rods that have been resized with Milodon bolts that will be going in an engine. Does anyone know what the torque specifications are on these rod bolts?
You're asking the wrong people the wrong question.

You should be asking YOUR MACHINIST what torque he used when he resized your rods. Your rods were honed "round" with the fasteners at a certain tension.

If you don't torque the rods to the same torque he used, the rod bore may not be round any more.

If your machinist screwed-up and used the wrong torque, he's the one who needs to fix the issue.

Old 05-01-2022, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

True!
If the shop does such services in the needed professional and the best way possible then he should have loaded the bolts up by the stretch method, and relayed that Stretch amount used to the customer in notes on the work the shop did , or at least on the customers bill.

However in my old 1999 Milodon catalog they do not list the preferred stretch range for any of there rod bolts!

I just went to there web site to take a quick look and under there engine bolt section I could not even find a listing for rod bolts.
That’s a strange thing!

Old 05-01-2022, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, I actually bought these rods on the forum already resized and supposedly ready to go. I just didn’t know what the torque specs were on the rod bolts. We will be sure to check them torqued to their specifications. Thanks to everyone for the information and advice.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

John were these the rods you bought from me?
If so they were torqued to 47ft lbs.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 05-02-2022, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Mike, I believe the ones I bought from you had ARP bolts. Those rods worked out great and are running in an engine of mine.

Old 05-02-2022, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Milner View Post
Hi Mike, I believe the ones I bought from you had ARP bolts. Those rods worked out great and are running in an engine of mine.
Thanks, I thought the one I sold had ARP's. I had 3 sets ready to go and 1 set had Milodon's.

Glad those worked out good.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 05-08-2022, 03:24 PM

Default Rod Bolts

While on the subject,I have an n.o.s. set of Lunati Pontiac rod bolts for early S.D. rods. I got them over 40 years ago. Does anyone know who manufactured them and the proper torque ? Thanks Andy

Old 05-08-2022, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well according to Schurkey in post 8 , your ASKING THE WRONG PEOPLE!

So you had better call them up or Email then and ask for the suggested torque for those 3/8” bolts or do the right thing if your going to use them and use the value of .007” by means of the stretch method.
With bolts that old if Lunati did not make them themselves then my bet would be SPS made them with the proper non melon head for those pre Armasteel rods.