Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2020, 08:20 AM
Senior Chief

Default Fuel filter bowl gasket blues - 1957 Chieftain

So, after sitting for a while (months, not years), the fuel filter bowl gasket started leaking on my '57 started spewing fuel. I swapped the filter and rubber ring for a new one (Wix). It leaked worse! I wound up taking the filter housing off the carb and set/seated the gasket and bowl on housing while it was off the car. This solved the problem but only briefly. I drove the car less than a mile due to some transmission issues (see other thread on fluid change).

I let the car sit a few weeks, and when I restarted it, fuel was spewing from the bowl/housing again.

Is there a better gasket for the fuel filter bowl? Delete it and go to a metal inline filter?

Suggestions welcome. It's these simple silly problems that are maddening. At least it didn't happen while driving, or for sure the car would have burned.

Thanks,

1957 Chieftain 4D HT