Old 09-13-2020, 09:00 PM

Default 1972 Trans Am

Purchased this 1972 Trans Am this past May from the second owner. He had owned it for the past 39 years. I had been chatting with him off and on for about 6 months before pulling the trigger ( also had to sell my 1969 Camaro). He told me how he came to purchase the car from the original owner who had bought the car new for his then 14 year old son. Lucky kid. Since the seller was located in Chicago and I was in New York, I hired an appraiser to take look at the car for me . The appraiser gave it a good look and took a bunch of pics and I decided to move forward with the purchase. After working out the financials and arranging for a U-haul trailer rental, I had some time to kill ( no work, pandemic) so I went over the pics from the appraiser once again. One of the pics he took showed an original title document with the name of the original owner`and his company name ,under which the car was originally registered. I set out to find the original owner on the internet. Of course the gentleman had a very common name and I found a slew of possible matches. Somehow I came across a legal brief of a divorce proceeding from 1975 that turned out to be about the original owner . It mentioned his business name and his children with their ages at the time of the divorce. Sure enough , the eldest son would have been 14 in 1972. Now I decide to search for phone numbers for these people. Turns out the original owner had passed away but I did find a number for a name /age match for the son located in Virginia. I called and left a message mentioning Chicago, 1972 Trans Am , guessing this might be the guy. Sure enough , I get a call a few days later and he says "Hey, you've got my old Trans Am !!" We had a nice chat about the car and he verified all the the seller had told me about the history of the car. He remembered driving the car around his neighborhood with no drivers license, Haha!! He sent me some pics of the car from 1973. Note the white shaker thought to be dealer installed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trans am 1973.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	549523   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1153 2.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	549527   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1154.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	549532  

Old 09-13-2020, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How cool.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 09-14-2020, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful car & nice score!

Old 09-15-2020, 06:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great story! Where about in Chicago? Suburbs or city?

Old 09-15-2020, 12:12 PM

Came from Palatine Ill.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great story is the car original paint ?four speed or automa

Old 09-16-2020, 07:17 AM

Thanks for comments. Car is 4 spd, 1 repaint by second owner , 43k miles. car caught my eye because of options, A/C PW, P locks, tilt,8 track, custom int. + some others. I thought somewhat unusual for a 4 spd car

Old 12-07-2020, 11:28 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcom View Post
Purchased this 1972 Trans Am this past May from the second owner. He had owned it for the past 39 years. I had been chatting with him off and on for about 6 months before pulling the trigger ( also had to sell my 1969 Camaro). He told me how he came to purchase the car from the original owner who had bought the car new for his then 14 year old son. Lucky kid. Since the seller was located in Chicago and I was in New York, I hired an appraiser to take look at the car for me . The appraiser gave it a good look and took a bunch of pics and I decided to move forward with the purchase. After working out the financials and arranging for a U-haul trailer rental, I had some time to kill ( no work, pandemic) so I went over the pics from the appraiser once again. One of the pics he took showed an original title document with the name of the original owner`and his company name ,under which the car was originally registered. I set out to find the original owner on the internet. Of course the gentleman had a very common name and I found a slew of possible matches. Somehow I came across a legal brief of a divorce proceeding from 1975 that turned out to be about the original owner . It mentioned his business name and his children with their ages at the time of the divorce. Sure enough , the eldest son would have been 14 in 1972. Now I decide to search for phone numbers for these people. Turns out the original owner had passed away but I did find a number for a name /age match for the son located in Virginia. I called and left a message mentioning Chicago, 1972 Trans Am , guessing this might be the guy. Sure enough , I get a call a few days later and he says "Hey, you've got my old Trans Am !!" We had a nice chat about the car and he verified all the the seller had told me about the history of the car. He remembered driving the car around his neighborhood with no drivers license, Haha!! He sent me some pics of the car from 1973. Note the white shaker thought to be dealer installed
Wow...I'm in love !
What an awesome TA, and story to go with her.
Best of luck with her

The Following User Says Thank You to stuta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great story and best of luck with it!

Note: Must be an early car. I see a stainless rear view mirror and clear turn lens, I'm sure no belt minder? Also for the people that question plastic valance, it's on there!

The Following User Says Thank You to necdb3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks for sharing this story!

congrats on the new car, and finding the original owners son!!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
The Following User Says Thank You to unruhjonny For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 01:57 PM
Senior Chief

Great find! Thx for sharing the story behind this trans am.

The Following User Says Thank You to vwmailman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
Great story and best of luck with it!

Note: Must be an early car. I see a stainless rear view mirror and clear turn lens, I'm sure no belt minder? Also for the people that question plastic valance, it's on there!
Yes, November build, no seatbelt minder. Sharp eye !