Old 05-09-2021, 02:32 PM
Senior Chief

Default Convertible Trans Crossmember Interchange??

Hello. I need a trans crossmember for a 67 GP convertible with a t400. What interchanges?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 05-09-2021, 08:42 PM
Senior Chief

I was able to take a transmission cross member from a hardtop and cut it down to work on my 68. Wasn't too tough, a few minutes with cutoff wheel and grinder. Do you have anything left of the convertible member? If you do and can lay it over the hardtop, I presume a 4 door would work too, I think it will be apparent as to what would need to be done.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:44 PM
Senior Chief

(one end had rusted off of mine) I guess it would be tougher if you don't have anything at all to work from.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:42 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrelic View Post
I was able to take a transmission cross member from a hardtop and cut it down to work on my 68. Wasn't too tough, a few minutes with cutoff wheel and grinder. Do you have anything left of the convertible member? If you do and can lay it over the hardtop, I presume a 4 door would work too, I think it will be apparent as to what would need to be done.
So the overall length is the only difference? I have the crossmember that came with the car but the center (mount area) was cut and moved forward about 4 inches to accommodate a 200-4r. I can use that to get the right length.

I assume the boxed frame cars had slightly smaller (not as long) trans crossmembers?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Old 05-10-2021, 07:56 AM
Senior Chief

Yes ,the boxed frame cross member is shorter. My fix was a bit red neck I suppose, but it worked for me. (I had to make up the "pockets" that are welded to the frame as well.)