Old 08-06-2021, 11:02 AM

Default 1972 Pontiac Lemans - Air conditioning Re-Build

Hello,
It's been a while since I posted. The car (1972 Lemans post sedan with T-41 package) got a recent body restoration and 200R-4 install and it's time to get the AC back in the car. All the brackets and components are removed and long gone. I put a new evaporator in when the engine was pulled many years ago. A new condenser was installed this year when the front end was pulled apart. Since my car is a frankenstein with #62 heads (1969) and a YX code block (1972?) which is not original, I'm not sure which route to go to get the AC back in and working. I received a lot of help from the board in regards to my pulley alignment issues and a bought a aluminum PS bracket that worked. Also had to switch out water pump pulley and alternator bracket. Now I'm stumped as far as which air conditioning brackets to get. The 1971-72 don't make any sense since the pulleys and brackets had to be switched due to the 1969 heads. My research tells me the 1970 brackets are different and may be the best fit if I want an original look but these parts are hard to find for a Lemans/GTO. I have seen some for a T/A but not sure about the differences. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Old 08-06-2021, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Feel free & have this TECH topic moved to the '70-72 LeMans GTO Tech forum, & I will take time later today & factually answer. the thermometer will 96 late this afternoon, will be inside in the AC.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my 72 lemans with T41 and AC, I went with Classic Air (Old Air). I didn't use any of my old system in the engine compartment. Except original pulleys. It was a straight forward bolt in system using my original controls. You can piece their system together with what you have.

Old 08-06-2021, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are several different ways to solve the bracket/pulley AC mounting.
-would help to know what pulley numbers you have. WP, PS, & crank pulleys.