Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-18-2021, 10:59 AM
Senior Chief

Default Instrument Cluster Repair

I have a 2004 silverado and the 4 Wheel Drive and Check Engine indicators are inoperative.

I was in contact with one repair shop that said they could repair but when they received it they claimed that it could not be repaired and wanted to sell me a replacement

Anyone know of shop that can do this repair?

Thanks,

Dave

79 Firebird
Old 08-18-2021, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

10 years ago I replaced the cluster in my 06 Silverado. They added the factory transmission temperature gauge, replaced all the gauge stepper motors (which are known to fail) and LEDs and used an Escalade face panel. I can't recall the price, sorry. Lots of Ebay vendors that perform this service

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 08-18-2021, 01:33 PM
Senior Chief

Ed,

ya, there are lots of vendors that replace the steppers and bulbs but none seem to go beyond that.

I have replaced steppers and bulbs in the past but the warning indicators appear to be integrated circuits.

I would attempt to replace the indicators myself if I could source the parts.

Thanks,

Dave

79 Firebird
Old 08-18-2021, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Indicators are cob. These are hard to find in singles.
A guy in CT sells rebuilt clusters and will take a trade IF it has not been repaired before. I contacted him with the miles and hours and bought his outright for around $300.
He is on ebay. Sold the old one which had a bad timer on it to a guy for a yard driver plow truck. I bought a escalade unit from him, fit my 04 HD Like a dream.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:03 AM
Senior Chief

Formulabruce,

The shop I sent it to also wanted $300 for a replacement but they required the core.

It's just a bit annoying that before shipping the unit I explained to them that the cluster only required the replacement of the two indicators and was told a full rebuild would be $150.

The steppers and bulbs are readily available but yes, the indicators seem to be quite elusive.

Dave

79 Firebird
Old 08-19-2021, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The reason these failures happened was due to Delco ( delphi) changing from lead solder to softer steel solder compound. The components easily
ended up with "cold solder" joints. This is why most all places that even touch these will do ALL the solder joints.
They do Not want returns.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:55 AM

try bba reman taunton ma. they have performed ecm and dash cluster repairs for the shop.