Old 08-19-2021, 08:01 PM

Default Badly cracked dash

Hi All,
As per the photos, the dash on my '73 Firebird is badly cracked. There are limited people who can repair it so am wondering is there is anything else that I can do. I was hoping not to have to remove the dash to either repair or replace it, as that is beyond my level of expertise. I seem to remember a dash cover that can be installed over the top of the existing one. Not the carpet piece but a more solid one.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracked dash 2.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	571634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracked dash 1.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	571635  

Old 08-19-2021, 09:19 PM

You can get vacuum formed covers to go over cracked dashboards, like this one: https://www.1aauto.com/1970-81-ponti...r/i/1aidc00224 They're not as nice as a correctly restored dash pad (they tend to warp in the sun over time) but they're better than nothing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dare I say thats fairly easily repairable, if youre a bit handy. A half hour every night for a week or two and it can look like new. I have done quite a few now. Pm if you want to give it a try and I will try to walk you through it. The dash in my 77 looked just as bad if not worse. The following are the after pics. I dont have any before.
2021-01-10_12-12-04 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2021-01-10_12-11-42 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

This is the one I just did for my TATA while still in the car2019-05-02_10-28-52 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2019-05-06_06-56-15 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2019-05-06_06-56-47 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Put a dash pad on my ta back in the late 80’s. Glad I did, all my buddys dashes are cracked. For $25 it was a hood investment. Unless your in the shade, every time you drive your car your dash is getting baked.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

a dash pad wont help with existing cracks...

best option if you dont want to replace it is to use a cover, i helped install one on a friends t/a he just restored & it came out very nice. besides the 2 visible areas where the cover ends you almost cant tell its on there. there will be a edge on the very inner part of where the dash bezel goes & inside of the glove box door but both areas are hard to see unless you are looking for them or know they are there.

the better quality covers have a correct or very close grain pattern & cost less than $200 & take all of about an hour to install. when installed right these are a great option for cracked dashes.

but if you are handy & got the time they can be repaired like shown above that looks very good, the texture might not be 100& correct but anything is better than a cracked up dash.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

TAKerry: Very nice work.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

TA ... don't make it a secret ... spill the beans, that's a nice repair. Filler, sand and stretch new vinyl over it?

Old 10-21-2021, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2019-03-09_12-26-22 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

I use this as a filler. It works like bondo but stays flexible. Only mix about the size of a quarter at a time to not waste any.

Once I 'break' off all of the old dry rotted cover then this stuff goes on. Build it up in thin layers. Once its pretty close I will use a heavy file or surform to knock off the high spots. When its just about right, I hit with 120 gr sandpaper. As it gets near perfect switching to 220 then 320. Stuff shapes and feathers nicely.

At the cold joint (between the new stuff and the existing material) I use fiba fuse drywall tape. Any overage of the tape will sand right off.

When the filler is finished, I use SEM texture coating with a couple of light coats, followed by colour coat then satin clear finish.

2019-03-09_12-26-29 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

2021-10-20_03-52-21 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
I found this dash on the shelf that I started a couple of years ago. Decided to finish it for the heck of it. I will post progress pics.
2019-03-04_05-20-07 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Before and after of a console I did that was literally broke in half.
2019-03-04_05-19-11 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2019-03-08_12-27-23 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2019-03-08_05-14-57 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2019-03-08_05-14-29 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend bought a repaired dash, the Texas heat re cracked it. I’m not sold on repairs.

Old 10-21-2021, 06:36 PM
Senior Chief

How or what did you use to fill the gaps in the console. I have one that needs that treatment. Lot's of cracked plastic

Old 10-21-2021, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice work .... good option for those that don't want to spend huge money to get a dash restored. Thanks for posting.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
A friend bought a repaired dash, the Texas heat re cracked it. I’m not sold on repairs.
Most originals are cracked and dryrotted from heat and sun, LOL. But Im not selling these as better than new. I have done quite a few now and havent had problems. But, cant say they wont crack at some point. Just like an economy paint job, not everyone has a perfect NOS piece, nor do they want or can afford to spend $1k plus for a repair job. I am simply responding to an inquiry on technique. From my experience for a whole lot less money than the 'experts' charge, someone with moderate skills and a bit of free time can have a decent looking dash in their car. IMO what I have repaired looks 100% better than a dash cap. Others may not think so. Just trying to help fellow Pontiac'rs out in their quest for a nice ride.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklinger View Post
How or what did you use to fill the gaps in the console. I have one that needs that treatment. Lot's of cracked plastic
I did the console with the same technique materials as the dash. Only difference is on the backside I fibreglassed the broken area. The console is a bit different than the dash in how its made though. The console is a hard plastic base with a vinyl cover material applied to it. I peeled back all of the loose material that had de laminated from the substrate, then built that area back up.

I almost threw this console away it looked so bad, but the price of a good original was high, and I am not too keen on repro parts. I figured I had nothing to lose so I gave it a shot. It turned out much better than expected.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Most originals are cracked and dryrotted from heat and sun, LOL. But Im not selling these as better than new. I have done quite a few now and havent had problems. But, cant say they wont crack at some point. Just like an economy paint job, not everyone has a perfect NOS piece, nor do they want or can afford to spend $1k plus for a repair job. I am simply responding to an inquiry on technique. From my experience for a whole lot less money than the 'experts' charge, someone with moderate skills and a bit of free time can have a decent looking dash in their car. IMO what I have repaired looks 100% better than a dash cap. Others may not think so. Just trying to help fellow Pontiac'rs out in their quest for a nice ride.

I hear ya, a nice das is pricy, I know a guy looking for a nice black one, I found an orig for him, it’s almost a G, he passed. Dashes aren’t cheap
My buddy in Texas, his dash was fine, it was in the garage most of the time, his mechanic put it out in the sun one day and it re cracked.
I keep a dash mat on my old orig dash. Prob why it’s still good, I put it on in the late 80’s.

Old 10-22-2021, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Going to have to try out some of that SEM texture finish, very interesting product.

Old 11-06-2021, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Polyvance has a whole line of products for this, but some are hard to get. Last one I repaired I used a 2 part SPI matt clear that has huge UV protection that you can adjust by how long you wait after mixing, till you spray, AND is flexible.
This process is very viable... Great post and pics TAKerry !

Old 11-15-2021, 01:23 PM
Senior Chief

Hey There TAKerry...... were/are you on TACOUNTRY also?...believe I've seen those repairs...back before the server crash?

btw...awesome!!

Old 11-15-2021, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes I am more active on TAC than other forums, Roadking77.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post: