Old 08-20-2021, 01:09 PM

Default more steering linkage problems! :)

well once again the safari is kicking my you know what… i ordered inner and outer tie rods for my 1963 Catalina safari and it seems like something is off… i bring the inner and outer tier rods as close as possible in the adjusting sleeve and it seems like there will be no more room for toe adjustment… my inner toe rods are es716 and es717 with outer rods es314rl and adjusting sleeves es2004s. seems like inners may be too long? i can’t afford anymore expensive rare parts stuff on a student budget so any advice? can i fit them down? anyone else have this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-20-2021, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Compare your inner tie rods to the original ones. I think you’ll find that they are too long but can be shortened to work.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
Compare your inner tie rods to the original ones. I think you’ll find that they are too long but can be shortened to work.

that’s the route i’m leaning towards (cheaper lol) it’s been a real long adventure sourcing the correct parts… :/

Old 08-20-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shah2k View Post
that’s the route i’m leaning towards (cheaper lol) it’s been a real long adventure sourcing the correct parts… :/

Amen to that! I spend a lot of time hunting for parts that don't seem to exist any longer.....
James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
Old 08-12-2023, 11:03 PM

Curious what you ended up figuring out? I have a 66 Catalina and I believe the inner tie rods are the same and was actually getting ready to order the 716 and 717 inners. I don't believe the 63 and 66 have the same outer tie rods, so it might not be quite the same application fit.

Old 08-16-2023, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a great thread which shows a lot of the Moog part numbers for the early 60s models.
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...g+part+numbers

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.