Old 08-29-2021, 07:35 PM

Default 66 4 speed trans aligning studs alternative

I have a 1966 Pontiac GP that will soon have a Muncie factor 4 speed transmission. I am looking for an alternative to the transmission aligning studs used when installing the transmission in the car. The Kent Moore part number is J-1126 but the ones I have seen for sale are very, very expensive. If Pontiac recommends using the aligning studs they must have had a good reason. Can anyone suggest a suitable alternative?

Old 08-29-2021, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I see those little studs in the service manual. I have had dozens of clutches and Muncie/Borg Warner transmissions out of GM cars over the last 45 years and didn't know those studs existed until your thread. So in a nutshell, they are not necessary, that's for sure. They might make installation slightly easier if doing it by yourself. As for the "Real" purpose, here it is. When you install the transmission, the only thing that pilots the trans is the pilot bearing and the front bearing cover on the trans into the bellhousing. If it's not fully installed, the transmission could bind slightly and possibly bend the clutch disc if you don't get it seated quickly and get a bolt in the transmission to hold it all together. The alignment pin may help take the weight off the whole assembly while your pushing it together. Nice little trinket, but certainly not needed. You can make a home made one by getting the proper length bolt and cutting the head off it. Simple as that. Good luck putting it all together.

Old 08-30-2021, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just get 2 long bolts and cut the heads off. Cut a slot in the end where the head was for a screw drive to remove them when the trans is in place if necessary. Screw them into the bellhousing. Slide trans onto the bolts. Install 2 of the regular trans bolts and then remove the long ones.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I do it like Goatracer1 says, but I use all-thread. File/grind the 1st couple of threads off the slotted end to make it easier to to start the tranny on the all-thread.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:51 AM

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions - you have pointed me in the right direction as I may be doing the installation by myself!! I see some an all-thread purchase in my future.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My father, (mechanic most of his adult life) called them pilot bolts, made just as has been described, with all thread, or cutting the heads off long bolts. On a Muncie with the aluminum case they aren't really necessary, as the Muncie is much lighter than say, a cast iron ford top loader, or a 833 hemi 4 speed.

The pilot bolts are usually used with a really heavy, awkward transmission install (think truck 4,5,6 speed). If you're having trouble getting the transmission into the clutch/bellhousing, and you need to take a rest before you resume your fight it sure is nice to be able to let it rest on the pilot bolts.

As a mechanic over 50 years, I've also thrown many Muncie's in by myself without pilot bolts, just because of the lighter weight makes it possible without pilot bolts. With a Muncie and it's lighter weight you can easily take it back down, and put it back in again. With heavy automotive 4 speeds, and trucks transmissions, not so much, once you have it in place you don't want to take it back down, and start over again.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated