Old 09-07-2021, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What first, glass or weather strip

Just wondering what is typically installed first, the weather striping or the glass on door and quarter windows.

Seems like I might tear up the weather strip installing the windows after, and have less wiggle room. But I also think there are areas I need to get to, to install the weather strip that I won't be able to with the glass installed first.

Car is a 68 GTO

Old 09-07-2021, 12:46 PM
Senior Chief

I always put the weather strip in first.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob in NH For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 01:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If I had both out I would do weatherstripping first. However- I usually pull the weatherstripping and not the glass for a paint job and don’t have any problem reinstalling it.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

drop the glass in first, leave it on the bottom out of the way, then put the weather stripping in, then pull the glass up to set the the tracks in.

it's too tight to get the glass in with the weatherstripping in place already. It can be done but it's a real struggle and no reason to fight it that hard. you can drop the bottom stop to get the glass lower but it still covers that third screw at least with a power window motor all the way down. if they're manual, maybe it can drop a bit lower without the stop in place but it's been so long since I had the manual windows I can't recall anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to gto4evr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 on what gto4evr said.

The Following User Says Thank You to tjs72lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 04:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another question.

Are the "rollers" actually supposed to roll in operation. They spin nice and free when the glass is out of the car, but do not roll when installed. Is this due to wear?

I'm no engineer but it looks like they are designed to contact their tracks with the outer two edges, with the center groove to keep them on track. Mine appear to be contacting with mostly the center groove. So I'm getting this dragging sound. Everything is lubed up very nicely with lithium grease.

Old 09-08-2021, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

they can roll, but not consistently if you watch them in a perfectly lubed, overlubed clean situation. it's not like a gear turning on teeth or a roller bearing, they're just stops that will spin if they bind up along the way. the glass cocks back and forth over the track as the arm stresses it down so there's free movement play between them and not a tight enough tolerance to force them to spin. (if you've got a window sticking and hard to roll down or up, you can feel it free up by pulling or pushing the glass front to back as it's travelling.

so anyways, tracks all cleaned out and lightly greased, occasional turning of the rollers is normal but not required.

The Following User Says Thank You to gto4evr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 04:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was a bit more anal on the second window ... cleaned the bore of the rollers and shafts very well, sanded the protruding edge on the tracks. Actually seems smoother with no grease on the tracks as friction on the rollers makes them roll on their oiled shafts better. But I bet wear would end up being a problem if left like that.