Old 09-09-2021, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 68 Fuel tank vents

What is the small vent connection on the front passenger side of the tank next to the large vent? Is that supposed to be capped off on a 68?

It's a Spectra reproduction tank.

Thanks

Old 09-09-2021, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just received my Spectra tank yesterday and noticed the two vent tubes too. My 68 original has just the single large diameter vent.

Heres my take on this tank.
It's advertised to fit 68 and 70 models.
It has a blanked-off area on the left side for a side filler pipe as found on the El Camino so the basic tank fits more than just Pontiacs.

I think the small tube may be for the 1970 California models with the NA9 closed fuel evaporative emissions system. It connects to a tube that runs across the upper inside of the tank.
The large tube is the 68 and 49 state 70 models atmospheric vent. It connects to a short stubby tube inside the tank.
With that being said my 70 California El Camino had two small vents on both upper sides of the tank for the NA9. So, just a guess.

After hearing stories of people receiving their new tanks with dents and other defects I'm happy to say my tank arrived in perfect condition. I ordered it from Auto Zone and it arrived within 48 hours of ordering from a midwest warehouse. I also ordered a tank mat from Patton Glade. It arrived a few days before the tank and is excellent.
So I just need to have the filler neck transferred to the new tank and that will be another item crossed off the list

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Last edited by OG68; 09-09-2021 at 07:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
I just received my Spectra tank yesterday and noticed the two vent tubes too. My 68 original has just the single large diameter vent.

Heres my take on this tank.
It's advertised to fit 68 and 70 models.
It has a blanked-off area on the left side for a side filler pipe as found on the El Camino so the basic tank fits more than just Pontiacs.

I think the small tube may be for the 1970 California models with the NA9 closed fuel evaporative emissions system. It connects to a tube that runs across the upper inside of the tank.
The large tube is the 68 and 49 state 70 models atmospheric vent. It connects to a short stubby tube inside the tank.
With that being said my 70 California El Camino had two small vents on both upper sides of the tank for the NA9. So, just a guess.

After hearing stories of people receiving their new tanks with dents and other defects I'm happy to say my tank arrived in perfect condition. I ordered it from Auto Zone and it arrived within 48 hours of ordering from a midwest warehouse. I also ordered a tank mat from Patton Glade. It arrived a few days before the tank and is excellent.
So I just need to have the filler neck transferred to the new tank and that will be another item crossed off the list
I too ordered pad from Patton and a tank from Advanced Auto. All is same situation. Need to remove original tank, remove original neck and attach to new tank

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
The Following User Says Thank You to 68gtoMN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 01:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Got mine from Rock Auto ... arrived in great condition, and happy to buy a product made in North America. For the price, wow, no comparison to trying to clean and restore an OEM tank .. that may very well have been made by Spectra or the equivalent originally.

So I'll cap that extra fitting.

I figured that's what it was ... I've seen those right side vapor return lines listed in the "fuel lines" section of many vendors.