Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2021, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default First drive in almost a year ... fuel leak and vapor Lock at 88 degrees outside!

Just got my car out of the body shop having had a new trunk floor installed and fixing some 30+ year old body work that finally started showing some rust flowers. I wound having the rear quarters, trunk opening and filler panel stripped, metal patched and the car painted from the doors back and restriped. Car looks good once again.

The drive (65 miles total) was uneventful until just after filling up. I started smelling fuel and pulled off. It was leaking off the corner of the gas tank onto the ground. I knew the tank had been removed and I thought, a hose clamp might have been missed but knew it was all in steel lines in that area. I needed an oil change anyway so I pulled into a shop and looked under the car. I found the unused vent on the corner of the tank missing the rubber plug I had put on. Made sense since it started to leak just after filling up. I figured the cold gas expanded in the tank, blew off the plug (which I hadn't clamped on) and ran out like an overflow. I plugged it with a vacuum cap and hose clamp, got the oil changed and off I went.

About 15 minutes later, the car began to vapor lock, bucking like a bronco like turning a switch on and off but not stalling. I switched on the my Holley red "pusher-pump" momentarily and it went back to normal as traffic began moving so I switched it off w. no further hiccups the rest of the way. My engine temp was 200 in stop and go and 190 on the highway and my pickup/sock/supply and return lines/pump probably have about 500 miles on them, but it definitely tried to vapor lock.

Another good reason to have that inline electric fuel pump.

Next on the agenda is the Sniper EFI install.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 09-14-2021 at 05:18 PM.