Old 09-12-2021, 02:32 PM

Default Is my frame bent?

'64 GTO

This is the left side at the perch for the transmission crossmember. Note the straight edge showing about 9/16" difference from parallel to the top of the frame. The passenger side is similar at 1/2".

Is this factory as built or damage from years of improper lifting? Any pics would be appreciated.

If this is incorrect, is it enough to affect the driveshaft geometry? How would I fix it?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame at crossmember.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	572874  

Old 09-12-2021, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you'll get a faster response in the '64-'65 GTO tech section so I've moved the discussion there.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 04:54 PM
Boost Engineer

I bought a 66 very solid GTO frame (boxed) for my 64 GTO.

We have a frame shop about 2 miles away (they are Dirt and Asphalt circle track racers).

They checked and trued the frame for a couple of hundred bucks. Tieman said the frame went under the body perfectly.

That would be my suggestion.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can try to look at my frame but if I understand the area you are checking, mine is a convertible with a boxed frame so not sure that area is visible on mine. When I get a chance I'll try to take a look.

The Following User Says Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 07:52 PM
Senior Chief

What does the other side look like?

My car had something similar (on one side) and I just assumed that it was due to car being jacked up incorrectly some time in the past. I just bent mine back straight again to match the other side.

The Following User Says Thank You to ID67goat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Red face

Yes, it's bent from improper lifting. When these cars were daily drivers and I worked on them daily, it wasn't at all uncommon to see frames tweaked like yours is.

It won't have any effect on the cars operation, it's just peoples indifference of where they jack these cars up on a lift. or with a floor jack.

If you want to try to straighten it, a large crescent wrench (24 inches, or longer) will be the tool to try it with. You might need to put a cheater pipe on the handle of the wench to bend it back into position.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 09:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is the best picture I could find and it is the frame on my 65 Chevelle (same frame) and as you can see the lower portion of the C-channel is straight and parallel to the upper portion. There is of course a raised section for where the crossmember bolts on but the outer edge should still be parallel to the top outer edge. Second picture is the same section from directly below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chassisshifter.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	572914   Click image for larger version

Name:	underptrans.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	572916  

Old 09-13-2021, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

my 65 frame. bad angle but its flat in that area
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2345.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	572945   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0048.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	572946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 096.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	572947  

The Following User Says Thank You to dld For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2021, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its bent, just fixed one with a porta power with a tiny pancake adapter.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the pics, Rich. Looks like you went with the tubular Chevelle bolt on style. That's what I will have until my rusted original is repaired.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Yes, it's bent from improper lifting. When these cars were daily drivers and I worked on them daily, it wasn't at all uncommon to see frames tweaked like yours is.

It won't have any effect on the cars operation, it's just peoples indifference of where they jack these cars up on a lift. or with a floor jack.

If you want to try to straighten it, a large crescent wrench (24 inches, or longer) will be the tool to try it with. You might need to put a cheater pipe on the handle of the wench to bend it back into position.
THIS ^^^^^^ is exactly correct. Cosmetic damage from sloppy lifting. A large Crescent or monkey wrench done in small sections at a time will straighten it back out if it bothers you. BTDT many, many times over the years.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtoFM View Post
Thanks for the pics, Rich. Looks like you went with the tubular Chevelle bolt on style. That's what I will have until my rusted original is repaired.
Well, yes, since that was my Chevelle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chassisside.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	573002   Click image for larger version

Name:	bigl79drvft.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	573003  

Old 09-13-2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks, a 24" Cresent on my shopping list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Its bent, just fixed one with a porta power with a tiny pancake adapter.
I considered this but is the top channel on the frame strong enough for the top anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
THIS ^^^^^^ is exactly correct. Cosmetic damage from sloppy lifting. A large Crescent or monkey wrench done in small sections at a time will straighten it back out if it bothers you. BTDT many, many times over the years.
DITTO 24"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower View Post
Well, yes, since that was my Chevelle.
I guess I should have read the text instead of just looking at the pics, LOL. A good friend from HS had a '64 Chevelle, sweet car! He's now into Corvair Rampside pickups.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Yep, this is the correct info. Mine was pushed up like that from someone's careless placement of floor jacks. It was very easy to bend back into place with a jumbo adjustable crescent wrench. Didn't need any type of cheater bar.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild